LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 430 users in the forums

2011 NFL Draft: CB class

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Bottom line, we need speed and playmaking ability in our secondary immediately. Right now, we're everything we shouldn't be at the starting CB position:

~old
~slow
~lacking playmakers

In 1981 Bill Walsh selected Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, and Carlton Williamson with the first 3 picks of the draft and they all started right away in the backfield. Maybe the Niners should do the same thing and pick Prince and Smith. I seriously doubt they would do that but it wouldnt be the worst thing ever.

Funny you mention that. People forget that Walsh actually drafted 4 DBs in the first 5 rounds that year (Lott, Wright, Williamson and Lynn Thomas). But before that, he had never drafted a DB higher than the 4th round (Ricky Churchman in '80), and didn't take a DB at all in his first draft.

However, he did take a QB in the 3rd round that first year who was considered an afterthought to most NFL teams. That turned out pretty well.

But I think it's interesting to look back at Walsh's approach to see that he was more interested in building up the talent in other areas in his first few years of drafting (particularly RB, LB and QB) before building up his secondary.
Bottom line, we need speed and playmaking ability in our secondary immediately. Right now, we're everything we shouldn't be at the starting CB position:

~old
~slow
~lacking playmakers

In 1981 Bill Walsh selected Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, and Carlton Williamson with the first 3 picks of the draft and they all started right away in the backfield. Maybe the Niners should do the same thing and pick Prince and Smith. I seriously doubt they would do that but it wouldnt be the worst thing ever.

Funny you mention that. People forget that Walsh actually drafted 4 DBs in the first 5 rounds that year (Lott, Wright, Williamson and Lynn Thomas). But before that, he had never drafted a DB higher than the 4th round (Ricky Churchman in '80), and didn't take a DB at all in his first draft.

However, he did take a QB in the 3rd round that first year who was considered an afterthought to most NFL teams. That turned out pretty well.

But I think it's interesting to look back at Walsh's approach to see that he was more interested in building up the talent in other areas in his first few years of drafting (particularly RB, LB and QB) before building up his secondary.

I think I'm beginning to like the idea of drafting Rashad Carmichael.
From watching Jimmy Smith play, his style reminds me of Antonio Cromartie

~old
~slow
~lacking playmakers

Or rather Prince and Rahim Moore (if hes there)

I really think Moore has what it takes to be a star FS.

[ Edited by IdentityCrisis on Jan 29, 2011 at 00:04:04 ]
Who caught your eye during the Senior Bowl?
Draft prospect to watch: Colorado CB Jimmy Smith

Quote:
Draft prospect to watch: Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith

Posted by Evan Silva on February 4, 2011, 2:45 PM EST

Patrick Peterson (LSU) and Prince Amukamara (Nebraska) are widely considered the 2011 draft’s best two cornerback prospects. It caught my eye, then, that Russ Lande of Sporting News recently ranked Smith ahead of both Peterson and Amukamara as the position’s top draft-eligible.

Smith left school with only three career interceptions, but a closer look reveals a potential shutdown cornerback. As Gregg Rosenthal put it, “the Nnamdi Asomugha of the Big 12.”

According to statistics compiled by the University of Colorado, Smith was targeted just 20 times in man coverage throughout his 12-start senior season. He allowed 11 completions (55 percent) and one touchdown. The Big 12 has a reputation as one of the most pass-happy college football conferences. Clearly, offensive coordinators shied away from Smith.

Smith also garnered first-team All-Big 12 honors from the coaches, despite not picking off a single pass. It’s an obvious sign of respect.

The Colorado website, cubuffs.com, lists Smith with a 4.35 forty time at 6-foot-2 and 205 pounds. Though he currently ranks just fifth in Mike Mayock’s cornerback rankings, it seems like a good bet that Smith could be one of the biggest “risers” as the 2011 draft approaches.

[ Edited by PTulini on Feb 4, 2011 at 13:48:44 ]
I wouldn't be shocked if Jimmy Smith moves ahead of Prince in terms of CB ranking, and is considered value around 10-15 after teams complete their evaluation process.
I wouldn't be shocked if Jimmy Smith moves ahead of Prince in terms of CB ranking, and is considered value around 10-15 after teams complete their evaluation process.

This is what makes me sad

I've been talking about Jimmy Smith for awhile now while Brandon Harris was considered the 3rd best corner in the draft. And now, the Jimmy Smith hype machine has been rolling and I doubt he'll be there for us in the 2nd.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

This is what makes me sad

I've been talking about Jimmy Smith for awhile now while Brandon Harris was considered the 3rd best corner in the draft. And now, the Jimmy Smith hype machine has been rolling and I doubt he'll be there for us in the 2nd.

I was really hoping he would fall to our second pick, but doesn't seem like it!

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
i only watched the first video and my only concern is his tackling ability. maybe it was just a bad showcase but it looked like he went high every single time. didnt get low at all. you are not going to be able to tackle people in the NFL standing straight up. any comments on whether he does that a lot?

Someone on another board put up that he only gave up 11 completions in 2 years. However, most said he is a horrible tackler and will get dragged and miss a lot. That's a big issue but might be worth it at 45.

Absolutely . . . 'horrible' might be an understatement, 'gunshy' might be more appropriate. He doesn't seem to want to engage. If those clips are 'highlights', I'd hate to see his 'lowlights'.
I really like Johnny Patrick (Louisville) in maybe the 3rd round.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I read a real interesting piece on Jimmy Smith, I swear it was on nfl.com or linked here on the zone but I can't find it now. Anyway, the scout was saying that Jimmy Smith is by accounts Amukamara's equal in coverage and could easily jump Amukamara or Peterson if he he has a good combine.

If by some crazy idea we don't get a CB in the first two rounds I sure as hell hope we can land Carmichael in the 3rd, such a ballhawk.

[ Edited by sfout on Feb 4, 2011 at 18:13:28 ]
Originally posted by sfout:
I read a real interesting piece on Jimmy Smith, I swear it was on nfl.com or linked here on the zone but I can't find it now. Anyway, the scout was saying that Jimmy Smith is by accounts Amukamara's equal in coverage and could easily jump Amukamara or Peterson if he he has a good combine.

If by some crazy idea we don't get a CB in the first two rounds I sure as hell hope we can land Carmichael in the 3rd, such a ballhawk.

I really like that idea!

~old
~slow
~lacking playmakers

WOULD ROCK
Share 49ersWebzone