There are 165 users in the forums

WR Hankerson Miami Hurricanes

We still have 5 young and very talented WRs that need to be developed under a real offensive-minded coach (Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, Williams and possibly Ziegler)...I can't see us taking on another high pick at that position.

Not to mention the number of TEs Harbaugh uses in his sets. If anything, I can see us adding another pass-catching TE with blocking skills before we draft a WR. We should see a lot of 3-TE "bunch" formations, which causes mismatch problems in the secondary (are they covered by DBs or LBs???).
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
We still have 5 young and very talented WRs that need to be developed under a real offensive-minded coach (Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, Williams and possibly Ziegler)...I can't see us taking on another high pick at that position.

Not to mention the number of TEs Harbaugh uses in his sets. If anything, I can see us adding another pass-catching TE with blocking skills before we draft a WR. We should see a lot of 3-TE "bunch" formations, which causes mismatch problems in the secondary (are they covered by DBs or LBs???).

we dont need another te when we have davis, walker and byham who showed he can be an adequate receiver when given the opportunity
he was originally dubbed as the next andre johnson but didnt pan out exactly that way. still great guy reminds me of vernon davis with size and speed. imagine having an extra vernon lined out wide. hes def. not afraid to make catches across the middle even when he knows hes gonna get railed. we certainly need someone willing to throw themselves on the line.
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
he was originally dubbed as the next andre johnson but didnt pan out exactly that way. still great guy reminds me of vernon davis with size and speed. imagine having an extra vernon lined out wide. hes def. not afraid to make catches across the middle even when he knows hes gonna get railed. we certainly need someone willing to throw themselves on the line.

I see no resemblance whatsoever. First off, Hankerson is not even close to the same size Vernon is. Also, Hankerson is a much better route runner than Vernon. Davis is better at running the seam or making plays after the catch.

If I had to make a comparison, I'd say he closely resembles Reggie Wayne except not as sure handed as Reggie.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

we dont need another te when we have davis, walker and byham who showed he can be an adequate receiver when given the opportunity

You might be right about Byham, but I'm not totally convinced about him. He doesn't appear to be much of a threat, and if you watch any Stanford games, he likes to have multiple TEs that can threaten deep while the others break off into open seams.

So my point is, JH doesn't appear to rely as heavily on WRs as other teams, and seems to use his TEs more so than most...and those TEs have to be skilled in both blocking and WR.

Therein lies the other problem. Only thing is, outside of Crabtree, who are you comfortable with being a starter on this team? I'd put Hankerson in immediately before any of the other vets/young receivers right now. As for the 3 TE sets, it's a matter of personnel. We will see it in San Francisco not simply because Harbaugh likes it, but because we guys with the talent of Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker. If we didn't have VD as our starter, I wouldn't expect to see too many 3 TE sets. Harbaugh strikes me as a coach that will use whatever formations his personnel will allow.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Therein lies the other problem. Only thing is, outside of Crabtree, who are you comfortable with being a starter on this team? I'd put Hankerson in immediately before any of the other vets/young receivers right now. As for the 3 TE sets, it's a matter of personnel. We will see it in San Francisco not simply because Harbaugh likes it, but because we guys with the talent of Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker. If we didn't have VD as our starter, I wouldn't expect to see too many 3 TE sets. Harbaugh strikes me as a coach that will use whatever formations his personnel will allow.

Hankerson is talented, but you don't know right now how he takes to a complex pro-style system, you don't know his work/study habits and you don't know if he's going to run disciplined routes (which is required in the WCO). Until you have him in camp and feel comfortable with these things, you'd be foolish to start him "immediately" over the veterans we have. As a fan, sure...but as a head coach, you wouldn't do it.

Like everyone else here, I don't know exactly what Harbaugh will do with our personnel. I just know that if he runs a similar offense to what he ran successfully at Stanford, you can bet he's going to utilize multiple TE formations. Reason being, it causes much more mismatches than the current traditional 3-4-5 WR sets (which teams are used to seeing and typically have personnel to deal with it).

DBs can match up with WRs for the most part, but big/fast pass-catching TEs are really hard to deal with, especially when 3 of them are on the field at once. Do you cover them with safeties, CBs, LBs? You can't really cover them with any of those guys (let alone 3) if that TE is big and talented enough, which is why he does it.

He's about confusion, shifting, mismatches and a dose of the power run game for good measure. In the same series, he'll use a power I, then go wildcat, run a zone read option from a shotgun/spread formation then use a "pistol" to run play action as he throws it deep down the seam to a TE. It's crazy the things he does, and I doubt he'll sit back and use the same personnel to do these things that Singletary had.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 26, 2011 at 2:00 PM ]

Hankerson is talented, but you don't know right now how he takes to a complex pro-style system, you don't know his work/study habits and you don't know if he's going to run disciplined routes (which is required in the WCO). Until you have him in camp and feel comfortable with these things, you'd be foolish to start him "immediately" over the veterans we have. As a fan, sure...but as a head coach, you wouldn't do it.

Like everyone else here, I don't know exactly what Harbaugh will do with our personnel. I just know that if he runs a similar offense to what he ran successfully at Stanford, you can bet he's going to utilize multiple TE formations. Reason being, it causes much more mismatches than the current traditional 3-4-5 WR sets (which teams are used to seeing and typically have personnel to deal with it).

DBs can match up with WRs for the most part, but big/fast pass-catching TEs are really hard to deal with, especially when 3 of them are on the field at once. Do you cover them with safeties, CBs, LBs? You can't really cover them with any of those guys (let alone 3) if that TE is big and talented enough, which is why he does it.

He's about confusion, shifting, mismatches and a dose of the power run game for good measure. In the same series, he'll use a power I, then go wildcat, run a zone read option from a shotgun/spread formation then use a "pistol" to run play action as he throws it deep down the seam to a TE. It's crazy the things he does, and I doubt he'll sit back and use the same personnel to do these things that Singletary had.

Werent 2 big athletic tight ends also a key to Brady's success?
Originally posted by NTeply49:

Werent 2 big athletic tight ends also a key to Brady's success?

Yes they were
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
AJ Green in the 1st, Hankerson in the 2nd :)

You also have Julio Jones and the other reciever from Oklahoma ST, whom Im affraid might take up the hobby of fishing someday and follow in the footsteps of the great Rashaun Woods.

Yea or Dez Bryant. Why do dumb people think if two players when to the same school they are going to be alike?

No he wasn't dubbed as the next Andre. I'm a Miami fan and he was a 78 overall prospect coming out of high school on rivals.com. There were more highly touted WR's on Miami's roster but he was sort of a late bloomer. Andre Johnson was a beast in high school, college, and the pros.

Very very different,
Hankerson's knock may be his foot speed. His game is fairly polished, but outside of lacking elite hands, Hankerson just doesn't have top-notch shiftiness or initial burst, so getting off the line against top corners in press coverage may sometimes be difficult for him. But soft coverages he should eat up because of his above-average route running ability.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 26, 2011 at 21:07:09 ]
Originally posted by Sjceruti:

No he wasn't dubbed as the next Andre. I'm a Miami fan and he was a 78 overall prospect coming out of high school on rivals.com. There were more highly touted WR's on Miami's roster but he was sort of a late bloomer. Andre Johnson was a beast in high school, college, and the pros.

Very very different,

maybe it was just the yards receiving comparison but i could of swore i read he was called that....just have been again the yards receiving being the most since
Originally posted by Sjceruti:

Very very different,

maybe it was just the yards receiving comparison but i could of swore i read he was called that....just have been again the yards receiving being the most since

I think it was his big 6'3 frame that might have drawn the comparison but his speed is less Andre Johnson and more Reggie Wayne

To me, once again, it's your personnel. It will work here because of the TEs we have. If we had 3 Billy Bajemas on our roster, I don't think we will be causing any matchup problems. It will work here because we have Davis, Walker, and Byham. If his talent at Stanford was with the receivers, then you'd see the 3, 4, and 5 wide sets. But either way, I think it will be entertaining to watch this offense next year, win or lose.
Share 49ersWebzone