There are 209 users in the forums

Drafting a QB in the 3rd

This year the biggest question for us and many teams is who are we going to draft at QB. With the uncertainty of the CBA this makes the question even more difficult to answer. This years draft class for argumentative sake has 4 1st round QB's, Gabbert, Mallet, Locker, and Newton. With no #1 overall the class will shift a bit over time. Looking at who drafts ahead of and behind us in each round we can "guess" on possible placement. If we bypass a QB in the 1st we can look at who will not draft a QB (because they have already done so) in the 2nd and who is still in the market. The pecking order in the 2nd is still very much up to debate. But going off of recent trends Dalton seems to be the one with the most leap in rankings. Adding to the list of possible 2nd rounders, would be Devlin, Ponder, Stanzi, and Kaepernick. All of these kids have the ability to go as high as the 2nd or be available in the 3rd. Here is where the gambling starts to happen. If my hopes actually come true (no QB in the 1st) we can assume Gabbert, Locker, Newton, Mallet, and Dalton are gone before we pick in the 2nd. Ive counted 9 teams that should be looking for a QB in the early rounds come draft time. Now, removing those teams from the list once they draft gives a remainder of 4 teams including us. Looking at BPA I still don't see any of those remaining kids being drafted in the 2nd round by us. Better players will be on the board that fit needs and can contribute right away. We have all discussed the importance of a QB sitting and learning so burning a pick this high and reaching makes no sense. Entering the 3rd round and looking at teams that "need" to draft a QB we are sitting 5th on the list, of the prior 4 teams, 3 have had 2 rounds to draft a QB. Only Carolina has had 1 shot but I don't know if they go for a 3rd rounder after spending a 2nd on Clausen. Going by this formula I honestly think at least 2 good QB's will be there in the 3rd for us and that's when we should pull the trigger.

Round 1
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Arizona
SF
Tennessee
Washington
Minnesota
Miami
Seattle

Round 2
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Arizona
Tennessee
Washington
Minnesota
SF
Seattle

Round 3

Carolina
Cincinnati
Buffalo
Arizona
SF
I definitely agree. No way all 9 of those QBs are gone by our pick in the 3rd. Only question is if one is someone Harbaugh likes and thinks he can develop.

I'm not crazy about any of those guys, but I do think we need to draft one. I just hope we don't over-committ ourselves, as next year's crop of QBs looks a lot more promising to me. I'd hate to pass over someone better just because we drafted Dalton in the 2nd round.
I'm all about drafting QB 3rd or later. Hopefully there will be a choice of 2 or 3 that Harbaugh has in mind.

1st round is BPA CB/OLB
2nd round is BPA of the one we didn't get in 1st or Rahim Moore FS if he is rated much higher than BPA CB/OLB
Originally posted by CrunchE:
I'm all about drafting QB 3rd or later. Hopefully there will be a choice of 2 or 3 that Harbaugh has in mind.

1st round is BPA CB/OLB
2nd round is BPA of the one we didn't get in 1st or Rahim Moore FS if he is rated much higher than BPA CB/OLB

Yeah I'm hoping this about how it plays out. I can live with drafting one in the 2nd if there's a run on QBs and it doesn't look like we'll get any of that 2nd tier, or indications that Coach's guy won't last.

I just don't see it from a draft value perspective. All of the R1 guys have too big of question marks for us to roll the dice on top 10. Obviously the 2nd tier guys have bigger question marks, but at least the risk is lower.

Still just don't see any QBs in this draft leading us to #6.
The QB i wants name rhymes with Micky Manzi
Originally posted by valrod33:

Sorry, Dicky Franzi didn't declare this year.
With or without Harbaugh, I don't think targeting the 9th best QB in the draft is the smartest way to solve our QB problem.

No matter who else you have on your team, you are destined to suck if you don't have a good QB in today's NFL. So getting a good QB is TOP PRIORITY.

I can understand the idea that maybe 7 overall is high for the guys we might have a shot at. But I still think we have to try and get the best QB prospect we can, even if that means over paying for him a little.

Getting the 9th best prospect sounds like a recipe for mediocrity to me.
It's not about maybe getting the last of some alright QB's, it's about getting Harbaugh's guy. If there is a chance that Harbaugh's guy won't be available in the 3rd, they must draft him in the second or trade up from the 3rd to the 2nd round to get him... or even trade back into the first to get him.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
With or without Harbaugh, I don't think targeting the 9th best QB in the draft is the smartest way to solve our QB problem.

No matter who else you have on your team, you are destined to suck if you don't have a good QB in today's NFL. So getting a good QB is TOP PRIORITY.

I can understand the idea that maybe 7 overall is high for the guys we might have a shot at. But I still think we have to try and get the best QB prospect we can, even if that means over paying for him a little.

Sounds like disaster to me. We shouldnt pass on a top QB when all we have locked up is David Carr.
Originally posted by Digger:
Originally posted by valrod33:

Sorry, Dicky Franzi didn't declare this year.

DAMNIT

Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Sounds like disaster to me. We shouldnt pass on a top QB when all we have locked up is David Carr.

That's the problem though, none of these guys are "top QBs". If Harbaugh signs off on one as the future I'm on board for sure, but I don't see it.

That's the problem though, none of these guys are "top QBs". If Harbaugh signs off on one as the future I'm on board for sure, but I don't see it.

I just think you have to accept that we have the options we have. And when it comes to the most important position in the game, you go with best option available. Yes, it sucks that it's not a better option.

Not having a QB means we are stuck over paying. Just like when you want a bottle of water at a concert. Sure, it shouldn't cost $4 for a tiny bottle. But you don't have any other options.

If there's a guy that Harbaugh thinks he can mold into a top QB then I don't think any price is too high. If there's a guy that has a slightly better chance of becoming a top QB, then again, I don't think we can afford to try and wait for a better bargain.

I think Harabaugh's Top 9 are not going to match up with yours or anybody's Top 9. More than likely a 3rd round grade he gives a QB could not be on anybody's radar the first 2 rounds (see Tony Romo, David Garrad)

I am NOT ok with reaching for a QB. This is probably why Harbaugh stayed behind to look at alt. options via FA and trade.

Id take Newton at 7 if hes still there. I could see Gabbert or Locker at 7 as well. Those 3 still still impress the hell out of me but none more than Newton. I also like Mallet quite a bit but a coke habit could ruin him going in the 1st.

I just think you have to accept that we have the options we have. And when it comes to the most important position in the game, you go with best option available. Yes, it sucks that it's not a better option.

Not having a QB means we are stuck over paying. Just like when you want a bottle of water at a concert. Sure, it shouldn't cost $4 for a tiny bottle. But you don't have any other options.

If there's a guy that Harbaugh thinks he can mold into a top QB then I don't think any price is too high. If there's a guy that has a slightly better chance of becoming a top QB, then again, I don't think we can afford to try and wait for a better bargain.

Yeah, if Harbaugh is convinced that Gabbert is Matt Ryan with a gun or Newton is VY with a brain or Dalton is Kolb with fiery red hair then I'm buying.

But I'd rather not try to force one of these guys into being our future savior if they're not it. Sign a vet who has at least 3 years in him so we have some flexibility.
Share 49ersWebzone