LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 325 users in the forums

Strick's Pre-Senior Bowl Mock

I'm not going to guess how free agency is going to play out; however, I do think Clements will refuse to restructure and walk.

I wanted to throw this together before the Senior Bowl because I think a few of these guys are going to really going to help themselves there. I reallize it's defense-heavy, but that's alright.

Also, I think Harbaugh is going to go with a veteran (McNabb is my best guess, but I wouldn't rule out Carr ) and pass on the widely mentioned prospects in order to draft and mold his mobile QB...

2011 Draft

1. Marcel Dareus, DE Alabama: Sopoaga has played well, but he's unable to apply pressure on the QB. Dareus can do it all. For a 300lber, he has rare athleticism. He can collapse the pocket, beat his man with his speed, and set the edge against the run.

2. Brandon Burton, CB Utah: He's smooth, well coached and has great speed. He's flying under the radar, but could slide into the first after workouts.

If we bite on Peterson or Prince, we could look at Allen Bailey DE/DT Miami. He's an athletic big man that can get after the QB.

3. Jerrell Powe, NT Ole Miss: At 6-2 320lbs, he's very stout against the run and gets a nice push up the middle. He's a leader in the locker room and a talented replacement for Franklin.

4. Steven Friday, DE/OLB Virginia Tech: He was stuck behind Worilds on the depth chart, but has turned a lot of heads this year. In a starting role, Friday was a pleasant surprise, posting 66 tackles and 8.5 sacks.

Another option here would be Cliff Matthews, DE/OLB South Carolina: He's another solid pass rusher, with good size who should excel in the 3-4.

4b. Leonard Hankerson, WR Miami: He's a highly touted player, but is a bit of an underachiever. He has the talent to be a 1st rounder, but he needs to work on being more consistant. This was a solid senior season for him and if he continues to progress, he'll be a steal for whoever selects him. He has average speed and might not time well, which might keep him out of the earlier rounds. A strong Senior Bowl could lock him into the 2nd round though.

5. Tyrod Taylor, QB Virginia Tech: Personally, I like what Taylor brings to the table and I think he's a much better passer than people give him credit for. While it's not a popular choice, I expect Harbaugh to surprise us on draft day.

"I definitely think he has more than a shot (to play in the NFL)," said Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, who played quarterback in the NFL for 15 years and was an NFL assistant coach with the Oakland Raiders from 2002-03. "(He’s) a really accurate thrower who can throw from the pocket, he can throw from out of the pocket and has great eye discipline when he’s out of the pocket, keeping his eyes downfield and making plays on you."

6. Cedric Thornton, DT/DE Southern Arkansas: At 6-4 295lbs, he's a small-school star who'll be tested at the Senior Bowl. It'll be interesting to see how he performs. His size and athleticism will turn some heads.

6b. Zach Hurd, RG/OT UConn: A massive man at 6-7 325lbs. He's been a big part of the Huskies run game. A natural RG in an OT's body. He's regarded as a smart and disciplined player and he has the versatility to play along the line. He'll need to prove that he can handle the shorter, more talented DTs in the NFL.

7. Vai Taua, RB/FB Nevada: A compact and productive runner that will need to find his niche in the NFL. He's projected to play more of a H-back role and would be a nice weapon in Harbaugh's diverse offense.
[ Edited by strickac on Jan 23, 2011 at 6:08 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:
I'm not going to guess how free agency is going to play out; however, I do think Clements will refuse to restructure and walk.

I wanted to throw this together before the Senior Bowl because I think a few of these guys are going to really going to help themselves there. I reallize it's defense-heavy, but that's alright.

Also, I think Harbaugh is going to go with a veteran (McNabb is my best guess, but I wouldn't rule out Carr ) and pass on the widely mentioned prospects in order to draft and mold his mobile QB...

2011 Draft

1. Marcel Dareus, DE Alabama: Sopoaga has played well, but he's unable to apply pressure on the QB. Dareus can do it all. For a 300lber, he has rare athleticism. He can collapse the pocket, beat his man with his speed, and set the edge against the run.

2. Brandon Burton, CB Utah: He's smooth, well coached and has great speed. He's flying under the radar, but could slide into the first after workouts.

3. Jerrell Powe, NT Ole Miss: At 6-2 320lbs, he's very stout against the run and gets a nice push up the middle. He's a leader in the locker room and a talented replacement for Franklin.

4. Steven Friday, DE/OLB Virginia Tech: He was stuck behind Worilds on the depth chart, but has turned a lot of heads this year. In a starting role, Friday was a pleasant surprise, posting 66 tackles and 8.5 sacks.

Another option here would be Cliff Matthews, DE/OLB South Carolina: He's another solid pass rusher, with good size who should excel in the 3-4.

5. Tyrod Taylor, QB Virginia Tech: Personally, I like what Taylor brings to the table and I think he's a much better passer than people give him credit for. While it's not a popular choice, I expect Harbaugh to surprise us on draft day.

"I definitely think he has more than a shot (to play in the NFL)," said Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, who played quarterback in the NFL for 15 years and was an NFL assistant coach with the Oakland Raiders from 2002-03. "(He’s) a really accurate thrower who can throw from the pocket, he can throw from out of the pocket and has great eye discipline when he’s out of the pocket, keeping his eyes downfield and making plays on you."

6.Cedric Thornton, DT/DE Southern Arkansas: At 6-4 295lbs, he's a small-school star who'll be tested at the Senior Bowl. It'll be interesting to see how he performs. His size and athleticism will turn some heads.

7. Vai Taua, RB/FB Nevada: A compact and productive runner that will need to find his niche in the NFL. He's projected to play more of a H-back role and would be a nice weapon in Harbaugh's diverse offense.

Only two offensive players in the draft? dayum.
We have 2 picks in the 4th and 6th i think you should add some picks to the O side of the ball....
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Take out Tyrod Taylor and that draft is solid.
Originally posted by SandSlingin49er:
We have 2 picks in the 4th and 6th i think you should add some picks to the O side of the ball....

Yeah, you're right. I left home earlier and just wanted to go ahead and post it.

I'll try to add those two picks tonight.
Edit
[ Edited by strickac on Jan 23, 2011 at 5:52 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:

This
Originally posted by rk1642:

This

I didn't expect it to be popular, but I think Harbaugh will go for a mobile guy (not named Locker).

This

I didn't expect it to be popular, but I think Harbaugh will go for a mobile guy (not named Locker).

Taylor to tiny to play QB..
Originally posted by fakers23:

This

Taylor to tiny to play QB..

He's not ideal, but he's not too small. He moves around well and doesn't get stuck behind his lineman without being able to see downfield.

He's bigger than Vick and Brees. Andy Dalton is maybe an inch taller. They're practically the same build.

While I like Dareus, 3-4 defensive end isn't a need nor is the primary rusher in the 3-4. I'd rather see us take a true olb or cb there. Secondly, Burton is good but that pick might be just a bit high. I wouldn't mind it though. I think you're disclaimer on Bailey doesn't do him justice though. In other words I think he's too good to be there when we pick in the second. I also expect Hankerson to go just a bit higher than that, but if it played out like that I'd be glad with him. I think pick 7 must be earmarked for an olb or cb.
Originally posted by JDeezy:
While I like Dareus, 3-4 defensive end isn't a need nor is the primary rusher in the 3-4. I'd rather see us take a true olb or cb there. Secondly, Burton is good but that pick might be just a bit high. I wouldn't mind it though. I think you're disclaimer on Bailey doesn't do him justice though. In other words I think he's too good to be there when we pick in the second. I also expect Hankerson to go just a bit higher than that, but if it played out like that I'd be glad with him. I think pick 7 must be earmarked for an olb or cb.

I go back and forth on this. If Peterson and Dareus were both there at #7, I'm glad I wouldn't be the one making that decision. I feel Nate Clements has played his last game for us, so CB would fill a huge void for us. On the other hand, I have my doubts that Franklin returns and Sopoaga provides no push, which does our LBs no favor rushing the passer. Both guys would be excellent picks.

Our secondary is horrible, but a better pass rush could hide it a little better. Dareus would help greatly in that area. I'm not sure there's an OLB worth drafting at #7. I like Quinn, but he's a wildcard.

We've seen other 3-4 teams start by building their defenses at the DE spot. KC is the newest with Tyson Jackson and Hali broke out because of it. I'd like to see us go this route. IMO, Dareus is much better than T. Jackson.

This
like the draft and absolutely love the leonard hankerson draft however i think even now before combines pro days or anything he is a guaranteed 2nd round draft pick.....huge on brandon burton as well....good draft

2011 Draft

If we bite on Peterson or Prince, we could look at Allen Bailey DE/DT Miami. He's an athletic big man that can get after the QB.

4b. Leonard Hankerson, WR Miami: He's a highly touted player, but is a bit of an underachiever. He has the talent to be a 1st rounder, but he needs to work on being more consistant. This was a solid senior season for him and if he continues to progress, he'll be a steal for whoever selects him. He has average speed and might not time well, which might keep him out of the earlier rounds. A strong Senior Bowl could lock him into the 2nd round though.

6. Cedric Thornton, DT/DE Southern Arkansas: At 6-4 295lbs, he's a small-school star who'll be tested at the Senior Bowl. It'll be interesting to see how he performs. His size and athleticism will turn some heads.

6b. Zach Hurd, RG/OT UConn: A massive man at 6-7 325lbs. He's been a big part of the Huskies run game. A natural RG in an OT's body. He's regarded as a smart and disciplined player and he has the versatility to play along the line. He'll need to prove that he can handle the shorter, more talented DTs in the NFL.

Sopoaga does pretty well and our D-Line is our best defensive unit, I think we go with Prince if he's available. We also have a Tyrod Taylor on the roster who I think we will resign as a back-up QB...Troy Smith.
Share 49ersWebzone