LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Bleacher Report Scenario

I got this off of the Bleacher Report. I actually like the scenario a lot, because it addresses all of our needs in and out of the draft. Of course this all contingent upon there being a new CBA so we can get a veteran QB before the draft.

Brief Overview - Link Here

1. Robert Quinn - Can help with our terrible pass rush that we have had for some many years. Him on one side and Justin Smith on the other sounds like a great idea.

2. Ras-I Dowling - We all know we need corner help. This is a great value pick in the second round. Just because he doesn't have elite speed does not mean he can't be a substantial upgrade over what we currently have.

2. Pat Devlin - Trade our 3rd & 4th round picks to move back into the second. If we get a veteran QB who can hold onto the reigns while he gets groomed I think this be a phenomenal move. He fits the WCO so well. Accuracy is key in the WCO and he does exactly that.

Whatever veteran QB we get needs to be able to fit into the WCO. Whether it is McNabb or Kolb or Johnson it doesn't matter to me. Just as long as they can fill in and get the job done. I just don't want to draft a QB in the first round because due to our position in the draft I do not think anyone out there right now is of the caliber to be selected in the top ten. I don't see any sure things that warrant a first round selection. Hopefully something like this will be remedied, because the 49ers have too much talent to waste being 6-10 or 7-9. Not to mention we are in a terrible division that we should have easily won.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bleacher Report:
The need filled by Quinn here is the nonexistent pass rush from 49er defensive ends—as both Justin Smith and Isaac Sopoaga are more defensive tackle than end.

Are these guys retarded or are they unaware the 49ers run a 3-4? Quinn would be an OLB for us which shows how stupid they are by comparing Quinn to Sopoaga and Smith instead of the foursome the 49ers had at OLB. Also, Smith had 8.5 sacks this season...

Justin Smith did have 8.5 sacks. Lets please remember that 3 of them came in a worthless game in week 17 against Arizona! I'm pretty sure I could pass rush and get a sack against Arizona's putrid offensive line and terrible QB. Justin Smith is in no way shape or form a great pass rusher. Run stopper yes, excellent. Pass rush, not so much.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Alright so you wrote it, sorry for insulting your intelligence but Quinn is not going to play defensive end in the 49ers 3-4. He'll be an outside linebacker where the pass rush is supposed to come from. The defensive ends in a 3-4 are supposed to be run stoppers who weigh in closer to 300 pounds in case you were unaware of that.
I usually can't stand anything that Bleacher Report ever does, but this draft scenario (with a top FA QB assuming the CBA is passed) would be increadible. I think Quinn has a lot to prove and will jump up in the draft.

But it has been said several times in this forum that an OLB pass rusher doesn't get drafted in the top 10.

Who knows, but if it comes down to Dareus, Prince, and Quinn, I choose Quinn.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I thought Quinn was suppose to be a stand up ruslhing OLB? That's what we need.
Originally posted by JuiceisLoose:
Justin Smith did have 8.5 sacks. Lets please remember that 3 of them came in a worthless game in week 17 against Arizona! I'm pretty sure I could pass rush and get a sack against Arizona's putrid offensive line and terrible QB. Justin Smith is in no way shape or form a great pass rusher. Run stopper yes, excellent. Pass rush, not so much.

No one gets all their sacks against elite competition. You think James Harrison's stats are padded by playing Cincy twice a year, or Clay Matthews's by going against the Lions line? Who has double digit sacks against elite OTs? Plus, 8.5 is redonculous for a 3-4 DE. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he may be the best defensive player on our team. If he played at this level on the pats or steelers people would be talking about him as a future HOF.
f**k pat devlin
Share 49ersWebzone