There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2 round mock

I think the cba will drag out past the draft so each pick needs to count and the teams that consistently draft well, will add quality talent to their teams(packers), and teams that don't well will set themselves back even further (redskins) with that said I think the 49ers are going to be very well prepared for the draft this year and will manipulate the draft board throughout trading up trading back etc. so here is a snapshot on what I think they do in rounds 1/2

1. trade the 7th pick to the dolphins for the 15, and their 2nd rounder, and the 49ers throw in parys harralson and 49ers possibly toss in a late round pick as well. The dolphins want to make a splash and will draft either newton, or locker here.

15. von miller
2nd round picks christain ponder, and cb jimmy smith
Originally posted by figjam49:
I think the cba will drag out past the draft so each pick needs to count and the teams that consistently draft well, will add quality talent to their teams(packers), and teams that don't well will set themselves back even further (redskins) with that said I think the 49ers are going to be very well prepared for the draft this year and will manipulate the draft board throughout trading up trading back etc. so here is a snapshot on what I think they do in rounds 1/2

1. trade the 7th pick to the dolphins for the 15, and their 2nd rounder, and the 49ers throw in parys harralson and 49ers possibly toss in a late round pick as well. The dolphins want to make a splash and will draft either newton, or locker here.

15. von miller
2nd round picks christain ponder, and cb jimmy smith

Yes to Miller and Smith, no to Ponder.
I like it. No idea why so many people hate on Ponder but love Devlin.
I think ppl think devln maybe equals flacco, and he might be pretty good, but I think that #1 Ponder has all the tools the leadership, the physical abilities from an accuracy and arm strength standpoint, and has been playing in a complex pro style offense. I think he is well prepared to be a starting qb in the nfl, I also believe the 49ers will trade for a seat warming qb to start then will give way to ponder whether it be in 2012 or possibly in 2011.
you say the cba will drag on past the draft....how will we be able to trade parys haralson then
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Ponder looks good too. These are the only quarterbacks who seem to look comfortable in a small pocket.
no offense, but i hate mocks that speculate on trades happening. trades are so unpredictable. while i wouldn't mind trading down, depending on who is available when we pick, i just think its a bit of a waste of time to speculate that such a trade might happen.

who would you have us pick if we stayed at 7?
I'd rather take Aldon Smith and Dalton over Miller and Ponder.
Amukumara in the First and Dalton in the Second
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Ponder is a walking medical bill, that is my reason for not liking him. History of concussions, 2 major injuries to his throwing arm and not the best skill set. Leadership will only get you so far.

EDIT:

Dalton is probably the best QB available that early in the draft. In all likelihood Ponder will be taken earlier in round 2 then our pick allows. Again I am okay with this because I personally don't want Ponder. Stanzi is projected as a 4th rounder with potential to move up so if Harbaugh deems him the guy even though I also don't want Stanzi, we will have a full 2 or 3 rounds to get what we need before we would have to worry about Stanzi coming off the board.

Originally posted by genus49:
I'd rather take Aldon Smith and Dalton over Miller and Ponder.

Aldon Smith is a very late first rounder so if we really wanted him we could trade down to the 20-25 range to get him.

EDIT2: If only Lawson could be consistent I wouldn't lobby for the 9ers to not resign him but in the event he does walk I would love the idea of drafting Miller in the first round and jumping on Casey Matthews in the 3rd round or Colin McCarthy in the 4th.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 20, 2011 at 7:13 PM ]
my bad on harralson trade, forgot about the no trading of players during cba issue, boneheaded mistake. Anyway if the 49ers don't trade out of #7 I think that 3 of the 4 top rated qbs, 1 of the 2 top rated cbs are still there I think you look hard at the qb at that spot even with all the question marks any of those players have, but my feeling is that once the cba gets agreed to the 49ers will trade for say josh johnson, matt flynn or whomever, and then that drafted qb would most likely spend all or the majority of 2011 learning, and with the less drop off in talent at cb we can grab 1 in round 2, and pass rushers for a 3-4 can be found there after as well, and with the qb position being the most important position on the field and with coach Harbaughs ability to develop that position they pull the trigger on whichever one they like best my feeling that is Jake Locker, then, Cam Newton, and then I think Mallett
Originally posted by HessianDud:
No offense, but i hate mocks that speculate on trades happening. trades are so unpredictable. while i wouldn't mind trading down, depending on who is available when we pick, i just think its a bit of a waste of time to speculate that such a trade might happen.

Who would you have us pick if we stayed at 7?

Thank you for expressing a viewpoint I have held for ages...
Originally posted by E-49er:
Amukumara in the First and Dalton in the Second

Dalton from TCU in the second??? hell no try the 5th
  • tstej
  • Veteran
I'm starting to hear that Miller will likely go higher than people think. Going top 5 would be a stretch but top 10 is where he will likely go because of his experience playing 3-4 olb. With that said Aldon Smith is a freak athlete so he will go likely top 20 and would have great value any later than that. Kerrigan would be a guy you could watch as he may fall due to lack of athletic ability. Ayers might also be a good fit in around pick 15. Jimmy Smith is underrated so I'd surprised if he was there for the 49ers second round pick but its defiantly possible.