LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Who do you not want us to draft?

Originally posted by rivercity:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
OK, let me get this straight. The 4 teams left in the NFL playoffs all have QBs who were 1st-round picks; we have a new coach who's greatest strength may be developing QBs and who has stated, in contrast to his predecessor, that QB is the most important position; the draft has a number of high-ceiling QBs; the only QB on our roster is David Carr; and most of you all don't want to even consider drafting a QB! I beg to differ. Maybe there will be some way to trade back to the teens, pick up a 3rd, and still get one of those guys without picking them 7th, but we need to draft one early and give Harbaugh something to work with.

You do realize this is the first time this has ever happened, right? Knowing this don't you think it's counter-productive to your argument?

The league's changing, becoming even more quarterback-driven all the time. It's not a total accident that they're all 1st-rounders this year. Singletary tried the "let's-go-back-to-the-old-ways" strategy. Fail. Harbaugh gets it.
And to Kolohe, Brees was the 2nd QB drafted his year, the first pick of the second round, so that's not a very persuasive counter-example.

History would tell us that it is by accident. And considering the premium teams are willing to pay for QB's in the first round, and how many of those 1st round QBs don't succeed in the NFL, the fact that it's NEVER happened before is pretty telling.

Also, when you actually look at the teams and how they got there, they ALL have very good defenses and only Green Bay really has their QB's play to thank for them getting one game away from the Super Bowl. You would not actually say Sanchez or Cutler are the reason the Jets or Bears are in their conference's championship game, would you?
OK, let me get this straight. The 4 teams left in the NFL playoffs all have QBs who were 1st-round picks; we have a new coach who's greatest strength may be developing QBs and who has stated, in contrast to his predecessor, that QB is the most important position; the draft has a number of high-ceiling QBs; the only QB on our roster is David Carr; and most of you all don't want to even consider drafting a QB! I beg to differ. Maybe there will be some way to trade back to the teens, pick up a 3rd, and still get one of those guys without picking them 7th, but we need to draft one early and give Harbaugh something to work with.

You do realize this is the first time this has ever happened, right? Knowing this don't you think it's counter-productive to your argument?

The league's changing, becoming even more quarterback-driven all the time. It's not a total accident that they're all 1st-rounders this year. Singletary tried the "let's-go-back-to-the-old-ways" strategy. Fail. Harbaugh gets it.
And to Kolohe, Brees was the 2nd QB drafted his year, the first pick of the second round, so that's not a very persuasive counter-example.

History would tell us that it is by accident. And considering the premium teams are willing to pay for QB's in the first round, and how many of those 1st round QBs don't succeed in the NFL, the fact that it's NEVER happened before is pretty telling.

Also, when you actually look at the teams and how they got there, they ALL have very good defenses and only Green Bay really has their QB's play to thank for them getting one game away from the Super Bowl. You would not actually say Sanchez or Cutler are the reason the Jets or Bears are in their conference's championship game, would you?

Well, no one player is "the reason" for any team's success in football, but backups Todd Collins and Caleb Hanie wouldn't "cut it" for the Bears. Kellen Clemens for the Jets was a 2nd-round pick and he probably couldn't have taken them this far. So yeah, it's important to have a great defense, but on offense I'd say that Sanchez and Cutler are the most important players on their respective teams. Same with Roethlisberger and Rogers.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Ryan Leaf... I mean Mallett. I literally wouldn't want him in round 5

Let's all hope you aren't Trent Baalke.

I could get not wanting him... but Round 5??

C'mon Man

Zero interest. The guy is a disaster. He doesn't go in the 1st
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Ryan Leaf... I mean Mallett. I literally wouldn't want him in round 5

Let's all hope you aren't Trent Baalke.

I could get not wanting him... but Round 5??

C'mon Man

Zero interest. The guy is a disaster. He doesn't go in the 1st

Why is he a disaster, Rollin?
  • Paul
  • Veteran
any of the QBs besides Cam Newton in round one. I think Locker and Mallett would be busts, and that QB from Missouri is a big question mark to me. I'm much more comfortable taking one in the 2nd-3rd round
Any QB in the first round. I don't think any of them are worth #7, especially with some of the other possibilities that could be available there.
  • tstej
  • Veteran
Quinn was suspended by the NCAA not kicked off the team. Also players that have similar issues that didn't have as harsh of punishments (both football and basketball) are Marcell Dareus, AJ Green, Josh Selby, John Wall, Jacob Pullen, Curtis Kelly, and the 6 Ohio St players who were suspended the first 5 games of next season. Quinn broke the rules but this is a much more wide spread than just Robert Quinn. Also number one overall pick talent is hard to pass up at number 7. For all we know Crabtree, Willis, and Vernon Davis could have done the same thing and just didn't get caught.
Ryan Mallett, hands down. Could turn out to be the next Dan McGuire (remember him?).
Originally posted by mavfd9er:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Blaine Gabbert - Not at #7

Cam Newton - Not at #7

Jake Locker - Not at all on the first day

Robert Quinn - Not at #7

Almost this-Add Mallet

The general perception is that there isn't much of a drop off talent wise between the 1st round QB's and the mid round prospects. So this year taking a QB high doesn't present much value. To be honest I have to agree. There's several elite CB and DE prospects that give us much more value for #7. Both of which would address a major need.

Exactly. This looks simialr to 2005. Alex Smith may have been the best QB prospect out there (and yes you can make an argument), but it was a poor QB class overall. Why would anyone want us to go first round at #7? Elite and ready to start OLBs and CBs > ok QBs with serious question marks.
Originally posted by tstej:
Quinn was suspended by the NCAA not kicked off the team. Also players that have similar issues that didn't have as harsh of punishments (both football and basketball) are Marcell Dareus, AJ Green, Josh Selby, John Wall, Jacob Pullen, Curtis Kelly, and the 6 Ohio St players who were suspended the first 5 games of next season. Quinn broke the rules but this is a much more wide spread than just Robert Quinn. Also number one overall pick talent is hard to pass up at number 7. For all we know Crabtree, Willis, and Vernon Davis could have done the same thing and just didn't get caught.

Bigger issue with Quinn is not that he had a rules violation, but that he hasn't played football in over a year. Even elite players and Heisman winners struggle with the transition to the NFL from college. And even NFL players struggle coming back from that kind of time off. (See Vick last year vs this year.)

So, paying a prospect #7 type money and passing on a more proven player to draft someone with those kinds of question marks is a BIG risk.

Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by tstej:

Bigger issue with Quinn is not that he had a rules violation, but that he hasn't played football in over a year. Even elite players and Heisman winners struggle with the transition to the NFL from college. And even NFL players struggle coming back from that kind of time off. (See Vick last year vs this year.)

So, paying a prospect #7 type money and passing on a more proven player to draft someone with those kinds of question marks is a BIG risk.

Wouldn't be a problem in a 4-3 Under scheme. Put Quinn at RE and tell him to attack the QB... no thinking necessary!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Overkill:
Jake Locker
I still think we should stay away from a QB with the 7th overall pick. There are 7 really good players in this draft (Peterson, Fairley, Dareus, Amukamara, Quinn, Bowers, and Green) and at least one will be available when we pick so we shouldn't be reaching for a QB.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Fine, then in 2002 a 9th round pick and a 4th round pick were battling it out in the Super Bowl. In 2003 a 6th round pick and an Undrafted QB were battling it out in the Super Bowl.

Don't know if you know this but 1st round QB's don't equal Super Bowl Champions.
Prince Amukamara..... he looked like Nate Clements against Justin Blackmon from OSU
Share 49ersWebzone