There are 428 users in the forums

Deepest 3-4 end class I've ever seen

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by destroyer:
I don't know why you post that we have 2 second round picks when we only have 1. We do have 2 fourth rounders!

Who said we have 2 2nd round picks?

I'm guessing, your reference to 2a and 2b in your second post?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Karma:
Has any position been this deep in years? The OT class 2 years back was very deep. But not like this.

1. Dareus
2. Fairley (not ideal use of his talent, but can play it)
3. Cam Jordan
4. JJ Watt
5. Clayborne
6. Cam Hayward
7. Baily
8. Liuget

At least one will likely drop to the 2nd, where a lot of teams picking before us play the 3-4. We have a good shot at landing one of these guys in the 2nd. Did I miss anyone?

It is an exceptionally deep draft at this position, but I can't see us using a pick higher than a 4th on this position unless it is a NT. As much criticism as Sopoaga gets he is a solid player. Too many fans demand that 3-4 Defensive Linemen be passrushers as well. Their primary function is to occupy blockers and hold their ground in the run game. Judging by the fantastic year turned in by Willis and Spikes and considering we were one of only two teams to not allow a 100 yard rusher, we have to say they did their job. CB, QB, and rush OLB are our biggest concerns. Given the horrible play of our secondary it would probably be smart to bring in at least two rookie CBs to compete for time. Nose Tackle has to be our next concern with Aubrayo's contract demands and RJF's limited experience. We all know how tough it is to run an effective 3-4 defense without an effective NT.

Simply put, most fans don't understand the philosophy of the 3-4. Drafting a DE (if we run a 3-4 next season) in rounds 1-3 makes no sense at all, no matter who is available. I'm all for bringing in a corner and upgrading our secondary as a whole, but the amount of time our secondary has to spend covering receivers doesn't help as well, and this is not on the defensive line. This falls squarely on the OLBs. I give Manny a little bit of a pass because we all know who he is. Parys Haralson on the other hand is supposed to be the guy that generates the QB pressures and sacks, and does neither, not to mention, not all the great against the run either. OLB is where we need the upgrade immediately and it is the position where we have the greatest need outside of QB.

I'm going to have to fundamentally disagree. Great minds of the 3-4 consistently spend 1st fond picks on 3-4 ends. Billicheck has fine it multiple times, Parcells loves to. The Jets have 1st round pucks on the D-line, and arguably the best defensive player on our team (yes, JS is THAT good), is a 3-4 end. Extremely important in our D. I think QB is priority 1, with CB and OLB 2a and 2b, but if the value is there for an elite D-lineman I'm all for it. Those guys are difference makers!
Has any position been this deep in years? The OT class 2 years back was very deep. But not like this.

1. Dareus
3. Cam Jordan
4. JJ Watt
5. Clayborne
6. Cam Hayward
7. Baily
8. Liuget

At least one will likely drop to the 2nd, where a lot of teams picking before us play the 3-4. We have a good shot at landing one of these guys in the 2nd. Did I miss anyone?

It is an exceptionally deep draft at this position, but I can't see us using a pick higher than a 4th on this position unless it is a NT. As much criticism as Sopoaga gets he is a solid player. Too many fans demand that 3-4 Defensive Linemen be passrushers as well. Their primary function is to occupy blockers and hold their ground in the run game. Judging by the fantastic year turned in by Willis and Spikes and considering we were one of only two teams to not allow a 100 yard rusher, we have to say they did their job. CB, QB, and rush OLB are our biggest concerns. Given the horrible play of our secondary it would probably be smart to bring in at least two rookie CBs to compete for time. Nose Tackle has to be our next concern with Aubrayo's contract demands and RJF's limited experience. We all know how tough it is to run an effective 3-4 defense without an effective NT.

Simply put, most fans don't understand the philosophy of the 3-4. Drafting a DE (if we run a 3-4 next season) in rounds 1-3 makes no sense at all, no matter who is available. I'm all for bringing in a corner and upgrading our secondary as a whole, but the amount of time our secondary has to spend covering receivers doesn't help as well, and this is not on the defensive line. This falls squarely on the OLBs. I give Manny a little bit of a pass because we all know who he is. Parys Haralson on the other hand is supposed to be the guy that generates the QB pressures and sacks, and does neither, not to mention, not all the great against the run either. OLB is where we need the upgrade immediately and it is the position where we have the greatest need outside of QB.

I'm going to have to fundamentally disagree. Great minds of the 3-4 consistently spend 1st fond picks on 3-4 ends. Billicheck has fine it multiple times, Parcells loves to. The Jets have 1st round pucks on the D-line, and arguably the best defensive player on our team (yes, JS is THAT good), is a 3-4 end. Extremely important in our D. I think QB is priority 1, with CB and OLB 2a and 2b, but if the value is there for an elite D-lineman I'm all for it. Those guys are difference makers!

Agreed. If Dareus is there in the 1st I'm taking him.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

1. Dareus
3. Cam Jordan
4. JJ Watt
5. Clayborne
6. Cam Hayward
7. Baily
8. Liuget

Agreed. If Dareus is there in the 1st I'm taking him.

Baalke? Is that you?

1. Dareus
3. Cam Jordan
4. JJ Watt
5. Clayborne
6. Cam Hayward
7. Baily
8. Liuget

Other names include: Christian Ballard (Iowa), Muhammad Wilkerson (Temple), and Pernell McPhee (Mississippi St.)
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

1. Dareus
3. Cam Jordan
4. JJ Watt
5. Clayborne
6. Cam Hayward
7. Baily
8. Liuget

Other names include: Christian Ballard (Iowa), Muhammad Wilkerson (Temple), and Pernell McPhee (Mississippi St.)

OTC, what round do you see them in?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

1. Dareus
3. Cam Jordan
4. JJ Watt
5. Clayborne
6. Cam Hayward
7. Baily
8. Liuget

Lesser known guys that could be had likely after the 3rd/4th round:

1.) Lawrence Guy, Arizona St. (6'5", 300) - early entry prospect
2.) Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson (6'4", 315) - potential LDE prospect
3.) Adrian Taylor, Oklahoma (6'4", 300) - Injury-prone but very talented
4.) Mike Blanc, Auburn (6'4", 300) - Veteran of the SEC trench wars; made a huge play in the BCS title game
5.) Karl Klug, Iowa (6'4", 270) - Justin Smith-type that needs to add weight
6.) David Carter, (6'5", 300) - Showing well this week at Shrine practices
7.) Colby Whitlock, Texas Tech (6'3", 295) - highly decorated Big 12 DT
Even Revis might get beaten more often if he had to cover receivers 4 - 10 seconds.
Even Revis might get beaten more often if he had to cover receivers 4 - 10 seconds.

You speak the truth my friend. Not that we have great personnel in our secondary, but they would be a hell of a lot better if we had a front 7 that created more pressure/confusion.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

You speak the truth my friend. Not that we have great personnel in our secondary, but they would be a hell of a lot better if we had a front 7 that created more pressure/confusion.

Really only two ways to improve pass coverage...either improve the coverage or reduce the amount of time the coverage has to last.

Sam Acho can be included in the 3-4 list as well.

DE/OLB Sam Acho
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I don't think we will even draft a DE in the first 5 rounds.
Originally posted by PTulini:

DE/OLB Sam Acho

he's a 43 end or a 34 OLB, not a 5-technique
Originally posted by PTulini:

DE/OLB Sam Acho

he's a 43 end or a 34 OLB, not a 5-technique

No s**t. I think he'll be a 3-4 DE/OLB. Plus, DC Vic Fangio said he will run a different variety of 4-3/3-4 schemes.

1. Dareus
3. Cam Jordan
4. JJ Watt
5. Clayborne
6. Cam Hayward
7. Baily
8. Liuget

I think Bailey and Luiget are primarly 4-3 players, and I'd bet good money they're both drafted by 4-3 teams. You should probably add Muhammad Wilkerson, Christian Ballard and possibly Phil Taylor (though he'll play NT, he's athletic enough to play the 5-technique).
Share 49ersWebzone