There are 219 users in the forums

Deepest 3-4 end class I've ever seen

Has any position been this deep in years? The OT class 2 years back was very deep. But not like this.

1. Dareus
2. Fairley (not ideal use of his talent, but can play it)
3. Cam Jordan
4. JJ Watt
5. Clayborne
6. Cam Hayward
7. Baily
8. Liuget

At least one will likely drop to the 2nd, where a lot of teams picking before us play the 3-4. We have a good shot at landing one of these guys in the 2nd. Did I miss anyone?
agreed this is a good year for 3-4 DE's and a solid year for OLBs as well. This is why I don't see the 9ers going passrush with the 1st pick, it will either be CB or QB. My money is on CB.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Has any position been this deep in years? The OT class 2 years back was very deep. But not like this.

1. Dareus
3. Cam Jordan
4. JJ Watt
5. Clayborne
6. Cam Hayward
7. Baily
8. Liuget

At least one will likely drop to the 2nd, where a lot of teams picking before us play the 3-4. We have a good shot at landing one of these guys in the 2nd. Did I miss anyone?

It is an exceptionally deep draft at this position, but I can't see us using a pick higher than a 4th on this position unless it is a NT. As much criticism as Sopoaga gets he is a solid player. Too many fans demand that 3-4 Defensive Linemen be passrushers as well. Their primary function is to occupy blockers and hold their ground in the run game. Judging by the fantastic year turned in by Willis and Spikes and considering we were one of only two teams to not allow a 100 yard rusher, we have to say they did their job. CB, QB, and rush OLB are our biggest concerns. Given the horrible play of our secondary it would probably be smart to bring in at least two rookie CBs to compete for time. Nose Tackle has to be our next concern with Aubrayo's contract demands and RJF's limited experience. We all know how tough it is to run an effective 3-4 defense without an effective NT.
Originally posted by Karma:

1. Dareus
3. Cam Jordan
4. JJ Watt
5. Clayborne
6. Cam Hayward
7. Baily
8. Liuget

It is an exceptionally deep draft at this position, but I can't see us using a pick higher than a 4th on this position unless it is a NT. As much criticism as Sopoaga gets he is a solid player. Too many fans demand that 3-4 Defensive Linemen be passrushers as well. Their primary function is to occupy blockers and hold their ground in the run game. Judging by the fantastic year turned in by Willis and Spikes and considering we were one of only two teams to not allow a 100 yard rusher, we have to say they did their job. CB, QB, and rush OLB are our biggest concerns. Given the horrible play of our secondary it would probably be smart to bring in at least two rookie CBs to compete for time. Nose Tackle has to be our next concern with Aubrayo's contract demands and RJF's limited experience. We all know how tough it is to run an effective 3-4 defense without an effective NT.

Agreed that it's tough to run a 3-4 D w/o a 3-4 NT, however we have a 3-4 NT, and I don't see the logic in letting him walk. He plays the most important position on the line, and maybe the 3rd best player on that defense (i know the competition for that spot is slim). The logic behind drafting a 3-4 end is value. I believe we'll be able to get a 1st round talent in the 2nd, and that's what's exciting about the depth at the position. If I had to rank needs it would go...

1) QB
2a) CB
2b) OLB
3) K
4) FS
5) NT
6) DE
7) ILB
8) OG
9) WR (with speed)
10) FB
11) TE

1. Dareus
3. Cam Jordan
4. JJ Watt
5. Clayborne
6. Cam Hayward
7. Baily
8. Liuget

One thing that makes your OLBs better in a 3-4 though is when your DEs are taking up multiple blockers. Dareus not only can take up 2 blockers, he can still get to the QB while doing it. He already played in 1 at Alabama and had 11 sacks over the last 2 years. If he is there I'd absolutely take him and then look for pass rushing OLBs later in the draft, and don't forget that there are some very good corners who are FAs this year.

1. Dareus
3. Cam Jordan
4. JJ Watt
5. Clayborne
6. Cam Hayward
7. Baily
8. Liuget

Agreed that it's tough to run a 3-4 D w/o a 3-4 NT, however we have a 3-4 NT, and I don't see the logic in letting him walk. He plays the most important position on the line, and maybe the 3rd best player on that defense (i know the competition for that spot is slim). The logic behind drafting a 3-4 end is value. I believe we'll be able to get a 1st round talent in the 2nd, and that's what's exciting about the depth at the position. If I had to rank needs it would go...

1) QB
2a) CB
2b) OLB
3) K
4) FS
5) NT
6) DE
7) ILB
8) OG
9) WR (with speed)
10) FB
11) TE

Yeah, letting Franklin walk right now would be foolish. As you said, we still need to bring in a young NT to groom; RJF is just too much of an unknown there right now. I also understand the idea of value. If the overwhelmingly best player available is a 3-4 DE it would make sense to draft him or, better yet, trade back a bit and get some more picks.

Your priority list looks about right except I would add a RB with speed/receiver skills. I would love to have Westbrook back for this spot, but I also like Devine or Locke in the later rounds.
Originally posted by matt49er:
agreed this is a good year for 3-4 DE's and a solid year for OLBs as well. This is why I don't see the 9ers going passrush with the 1st pick, it will either be CB or QB. My money is on CB.

Cosigned. Hopefully Peterson, probably Prince or a WCO QB of Harbaghs chosing. I'm thinking Locker.

1. Dareus
3. Cam Jordan
4. JJ Watt
5. Clayborne
6. Cam Hayward
7. Baily
8. Liuget

1) QB
2a) CB
2b) OLB
3) K
4) FS
5) NT
6) DE
7) ILB
8) OG
9) WR (with speed)
10) FB
11) TE

Yeah, letting Franklin walk right now would be foolish. As you said, we still need to bring in a young NT to groom; RJF is just too much of an unknown there right now. I also understand the idea of value. If the overwhelmingly best player available is a 3-4 DE it would make sense to draft him or, better yet, trade back a bit and get some more picks.

Your priority list looks about right except I would add a RB with speed/receiver skills. I would love to have Westbrook back for this spot, but I also like Devine or Locke in the later rounds.

He isnt that much of an unknown to us if you think about it. He was Franklins primary backup. He played in all 16 games totalling 12 tackles, 1 sack, and 1 forded fumble....Franklin 39 total tackles 0 sacks, 0 ff. RJF had a great pre season playing as the starter against other teams starters while Franklin was holding out. I like RJF alot...I think we will be ok, one way or the other.

1. Dareus
3. Cam Jordan
4. JJ Watt
5. Clayborne
6. Cam Hayward
7. Baily
8. Liuget

Simply put, most fans don't understand the philosophy of the 3-4. Drafting a DE (if we run a 3-4 next season) in rounds 1-3 makes no sense at all, no matter who is available. I'm all for bringing in a corner and upgrading our secondary as a whole, but the amount of time our secondary has to spend covering receivers doesn't help as well, and this is not on the defensive line. This falls squarely on the OLBs. I give Manny a little bit of a pass because we all know who he is. Parys Haralson on the other hand is supposed to be the guy that generates the QB pressures and sacks, and does neither, not to mention, not all the great against the run either. OLB is where we need the upgrade immediately and it is the position where we have the greatest need outside of QB.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

1. Dareus
3. Cam Jordan
4. JJ Watt
5. Clayborne
6. Cam Hayward
7. Baily
8. Liuget

Simply put, most fans don't understand the philosophy of the 3-4. Drafting a DE (if we run a 3-4 next season) in rounds 1-3 makes no sense at all, no matter who is available. I'm all for bringing in a corner and upgrading our secondary as a whole, but the amount of time our secondary has to spend covering receivers doesn't help as well, and this is not on the defensive line. This falls squarely on the OLBs. I give Manny a little bit of a pass because we all know who he is. Parys Haralson on the other hand is supposed to be the guy that generates the QB pressures and sacks, and does neither, not to mention, not all the great against the run either. OLB is where we need the upgrade immediately and it is the position where we have the greatest need outside of QB.

Yes. Pass rush (OLB) and CB please.

I don't know why you post that we have 2 second round picks when we only have 1. We do have 2 fourth rounders!
we're going CB with our 1st.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
we're going CB with our 1st.

CB would be my call too. However I would try to trade down in the first and pick the 3rd ranked CB and maybe trade up again for a stud OLB.
Originally posted by destroyer:
I don't know why you post that we have 2 second round picks when we only have 1. We do have 2 fourth rounders!

Who said we have 2 2nd round picks?
Share 49ersWebzone