LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

Mel Kiper is the worst...

• JRILL
  • Veteran
Why does this guy get paid??? The only time he is ever right is when he pick who the top 2 picks will be. I was looking back at his past mock drafts and he only got one of the 49ers picks right... And we know how those 6 years have gone... Other then that, he was wrong every time... Does anyone actually believe this guy?
Mayock is the best!
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/mockdraftscoring.shtml

Among all media mock drafters, he ranks 3rd for the past 5 years. In the 2010 draft he ranked 3rd also with a score of 48, whereas Mayock had a score of 41, which is tied in the 19th rank.

I think people don't like him because he gets so much exposure on ESPN. He is overexposed and he does make mistakes, as do all people who work in the draft predicting business. He is, however, good and does have some good things to say.
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Jan 19, 2011 at 4:58 PM ]
He has been doing it the longest. Over 20 years. He gets too much face time but that is a network thing, not him. I dont like how loud he gets, but he does a good job overall.
  • JRILL
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

Among all media mock drafters, he ranks 3rd for the past 5 years. In the 2010 draft he ranked 3rd also with a score of 48, whereas Mayock had a score of 41, which is tied in the 19th rank.

I think people don't like him because he gets so much exposure on ESPN. He is overexposed and he does make mistakes, as do all people who work in the draft predicting business. He is, however, good and does have some good things to say.

about alex smith...
Originally posted by JRILL:

about alex smith...

and there it is...another thread down the drain.
  • JRILL
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

about alex smith...

and there it is...another thread down the drain.

Interesting numbers. I have watched just about every draft for the last 10 years and it seems that Mayock (at least on the day of) is spot on with his analysis of players and draft picks.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Mayock is the best!

Mayock is not a beast...I like him on NFL Network and even as a color guy but he has some wacky opinions. One being last year when he insisted Earl Thomas was better than Eric Berry. There isn't a GM in the league that would have taken him over Berry then or now.
Is it me or does it seem we get this thread every year?

• okdkid
  • Veteran
One of the most accurate of the major draft pundits. Stats don't lie. The dude made the NFL draft. Made himself THE one name synonymous with the NFL draft. And is one of the most accurate prognosticators out there.

When you become the best in the biz, people will polarize. But he does a great job. Not much to debate.
Why does this guy get paid??? The only time he is ever right is when he pick who the top 2 picks will be. I was looking back at his past mock drafts and he only got one of the 49ers picks right... And we know how those 6 years have gone... Other then that, he was wrong every time... Does anyone actually believe this guy?

Sure. More than I do anyone in here thats for sure. He knows more about college football and prospects than 99.999% of people.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Sure. More than I do anyone in here thats for sure. He knows more about college football and prospects than 99.999% of people.

Absolutely right on! This guy watches more tape and college games than everyone on this board (it's his job) and the fact is that he judges guys on the level of talent he sees.

Not only does he have to guess BPA, but then he has to figure out schematically where a player may fit with a certain team's system....and then he may be proven wrong because of 5-10 trades in the first round! There's a reason why people do in fact listen when Kiper talks about the draft, so let go of the Alex Smith saga once and for all and move on!

It's not as easy as everyone makes it out to be and this guy does uncover a lot of later round, or under the radar players, before other "experts."
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:

Yep... It's that time of year.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:

Yep... It's that time of year.
Share 49ersWebzone