There are 178 users in the forums

With the precarious CBA position will we pick a QB in round 1?

With the precarious CBA position will we pick a QB in round 1?

It appears increasingly unlikely that an agreement on the the CBA will be sorted by draft day, leaving both trading and free agency options in limbo.

At least IMO this improves the chance of a QB being selected in round 1, since I find it unlikely that Harbaugh/Baalke will risk heading into 2011 with Carr and a late round developmental prospect as the only options at QB.
[ Edited by DraftaQB on Jan 19, 2011 at 7:01 AM ]
With no CBA in place, it will certainly put a premium on the QB position. It certainly presents teams like us with a huge dilemma.
It's a definite maybe
No. The team will pick up a veteran QB who can transition quickly. They will draft a developmental QB for sure to complete our three QB's.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
No. The team will pick up a veteran QB who can transition quickly. They will draft a developmental QB for sure to complete our three QB's.

MD you seem so sure about this. I'm thinking we have way to much in the area of competition for these vet QB's that I'm not inclined to bet the house on it. Care to share your thinking?
Hold the line don't draft a QB with #7! Trade back if you don't get the person(s) we want.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
With no CBA in place, it will certainly put a premium on the QB position. It certainly presents teams like us with a huge dilemma.
Right now I don't think most fans are recognizing the "huge dilemma". We have nothing at QB and no prospects of getting a vet due to the CBA situation. The owners and players have already proven in the past they would rather tank the whole season than agree on something. That leaves us with the next unproven rookie no matter what round he's drafted in.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Unfortunately we won't be able to do that - if the cba isn't agreed then trades and free agent signings will be not allowed, making it all the more important to draft a QB who can step in as soon as possible.

A word of note - Alex Smith will be able to be resigned since you can resign your own FA's, just not other team's FAs.
I don't know if more pressing is the right term, but I don't think the value is there in round one. QB is the most important position on the field, but like I said, the talent of the QB's in round one is close enough to the talent of the QB's in rounds 2-4 that I think we can wait.
No we pick Amukamara to go along with either Spencer or Awesomewhaaaaaahhh

Can someone please paraphrase this potential CBA "lockout" looming?
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Can someone please paraphrase this potential CBA "lockout" looming?

owners and players union no agree = players no play
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I don't know if more pressing is the right term, but I don't think the value is there in round one. QB is the most important position on the field, but like I said, the talent of the QB's in round one is close enough to the talent of the QB's in rounds 2-4 that I think we can wait.

Cosigned. The round 1 QBs all have a lot of talent but all have potentially fatal flaws just like the guys in rounds 2-4 will likely have. I rather get a guy who will make a real impact. And it's not like any of these rookies will be able to play this year either, so whether there's a season with a full offseason or the offseason is real short because of the lockout, you're still better off with a later round guy and a vet who can learn quickly like a Billy Volek or Chad Pennington.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

Cosigned. The round 1 QBs all have a lot of talent but all have potentially fatal flaws just like the guys in rounds 2-4 will likely have. I rather get a guy who will make a real impact. And it's not like any of these rookies will be able to play this year either, so whether there's a season with a full offseason or the offseason is real short because of the lockout, you're still better off with a later round guy and a vet who can learn quickly like a Billy Volek or Chad Pennington.

True it would be nice to get a vet to learn quickly, however I would prefer to have the QB of the future drafted in the 1st rather than 2-4.
If you have a look at the successful QBS from the last 10 years MOST (Brady and Romo are exceptions) have been drafted with the first 32 picks. The success rate with lower round picks is far lower, although I admit a 1st rounder is still a 50:50 toss up.
I sure as heck hope not. Neither we, nor any other team should draft a QB in round 1 because of the CBA situation.

If there is a guy you really think can start right away (ala Bradford, Flacco or Rothlisberger), then you take him. Regardless of who is on your current roster.

One way or another, you either think you are getting a QB who can start right away, and you need only a vet backup/mentor, or you think you are getting a QB who needs development and you need a vet starter.

Whether you add the vet in FA/trade before or after the draft doesn't change your evaluation of the player you are drafting and shouldn't affect whether or not you draft him.
Share 49ersWebzone