David Baas - OG/C

Release - About 11M in savings

Nate Clements - CB
Moran Norris - FB
Ted Ginn Jr. - WR/PR
David Carr - QB

Free Agency - 14M in spending

Chris Carr - CB/KR - Ravens
*Carr is a solid potential starter/nickel DB in the 3-4 defense. He continues to develop into a solid and dependable corner - excellent speed and body control. West coast guy, Carr has experience with Fangio in Baltimore.

Lawrence Vickers - FB - Browns
*One of the most underrated fullbacks in the game, Vickers is a strong run blocker, and has some ability to catch and run the ball on rare occasion. Harbaugh and Rathman will be pumped for this signing.

Malcom Floyd - WR - Chargers
*A tall and physical WR, Floyd has progressed each year for the past 4 years. With rumors circulating that the Chargers will focus their attention on V-Jax, and Floyd being a Cali native, I think there's a great chance he signs with the 49ers.

Derrick Ward - RB - Texans
*With limited reps behind Foster, Ward put up good statistics. 6.3 YPC, 4 TDs - he's a good quality backup, and provides extra security behind Gore and Dixon.

Trades -

Bucs get: 49ers 2012 4th round draft pick
49ers get: Josh Johnson - QB

Lions get: 49ers 1st round and 4th round (f/ Chargers) picks. Lions use this pick to select Prince Amukamara - fills a critical need and really rounds out their defense.
49ers get: Lions 1st and 2nd round draft picks. 49ers trade back to land a good quality pass rusher.

NFL Draft -

R1: Von Miller - DE/OLB - Texas A&M (f. Lions)
*Say what you want about his size, but his production states otherwise. Miller is one of the best pass rushers in this draft. The Butkus award winner as a DE/OLB tweener, Miller has outstanding speed for the position. The main concern is his ability to shed blockers, but I think Fangio will salivate at the opportunity to develop his own version of Clay Matthews.

R2: Jimmy Smith - CB - Colorado (f. Lions)
*If he drops to this spot, and there is president for it, he would be a fantastic value pick. Smith is a big and physical cornerback with the necessary speed to take on large receivers. The new blood of Carr and Smith will help improve the secondary, along with an improved pass rush.

R2: Andy Dalton - QB - TCU (MadDog's pick)
*This is MadDog's pick, and I trust his analysis and judgement. I don't know much about Dalton, but he makes quick reads which is perfect for Harbaugh and Baalke's vision.

R3: Austin Pettis - WR - Boise State
*Every QB needs a best friend at WR. Pettis is a big target for the next 49ers QB, and he's a cool cucumber. Sleeper WR in this draft.

R4: Sione Fua - NT - Stanford
*Familiar with Fangio's 3-4 D, Fua adds another option to the NT position besides Franklin and RJF, and routes out our 2011 D-line.

R5: Joe Refeged - S - Rutgers
*Started at SS, Refeged is a hard hitting tackler and great ST option for our team. For the 49ers, I think he sits behind Reggie Smith at FS and plays a large part of ST.

R6: Scott Tolzien - QB - Wisconsin
*Developmental #3 QB on our roster.

R6: Ugo Chinasa - DE/OLB - Oklahoma State (f. Seahawks)
*Another tweener prospect to round out our depth at OLB.

R7: Da'Rel Scott - RB - Maryland (f. Lions)
*Injury plauged RB that is blessed with rare speed. Could he be our next Frank Gore? At the very least, he makes a good PS candidate.

R7: Chase Beeler - C - Stanford
*Additional depth along the O-line.

Depth Chart -

QB: Johnson*/Dalton*/Tolzien*
RB: Gore/Dixon/Ward* PS: Scott*
FB: Vickers*
TE: Davis/Walker/Byham

WR: Crabtree/Morgan
WR: Floyd*/Williams
WR: Pettis*

LT: Staley/Boone
LG: Iupati/Wragge
OC: Baas/Beeler*
RG: Heitmann/Rachal
RT: Davis/Snyder

LE: Smith/McDonald
NT: Franklin/Sua*
RE: Sopoaga/RJF

OLB: Miller*/Haralson
ILB: Willis/McKillop
ILB: Spikes/Bowman
OLB: Brooks/Gibson/Chinasa*

CB: Spencer/Brown/Adams
CB: Smith*/Carr*
FS: Smith/Refeged*
SS: Goldson/Mays

ST: Nedney, Lee, Jennings

ST Returners: Williams, Adams, Morgan, Refeged, Carr, and Walker all have experience at these duties.
no way im cutting ginn, im sure harbaugh will use his speed on offense if ginn can catch which i really didnt see a huge problem like it was in miami
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
no way im cutting ginn, im sure harbaugh will use his speed on offense if ginn can catch which i really didnt see a huge problem like it was in miami

But he can't catch worth s**t.
so after 1 season of having a legit kick returner you now want to release him? Do you not remember the days of B. Williams, Battle, etc. trying to return kicks? Sorry but that is a bad move. And WTF why are we trading for Josh Johnson??? Because Harbaugh coached him before? That doesn't really matter. Also not a fan of giving up Prince.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

But he can't catch worth s**t.

yes he drops some balls but it hasnt been as bad as it was when he was in miami, ginn is our only wr who has legit blow by you speed. i want to see how he does in the wco, what he does with legit playing time and a new coaching staff. by the way he gave us real good field position returning kicks and im not risking having bums returning kick after what i saw in 09 and before that
I like it.

Although I would keep Ted Ginn Jr.
Yeah I rather enjoyed getting the ball around midfield on returns consistently, than getting the ball in side our own 20.

Bad move releasing Ginn.
Great Mock! and its still possible to land Locker in the second anyway. Then we'd draft 3 potential starters with good, talented depth.
no way we cut Ted Ginn...he was #3 in KR yard avg in the NFL. No way Heitman plays OG for us he's too small and Harbaugh runs a power run WCO type Heitmann is as good as gone.

Goldson and MacDonald are not going to be RFAs with the new CBA. So one year tenders arent going to cut it.

But I actually really like the FA's and the draft. You are maybe the only person who isnt dreaming about signing Nnamdi. I like it alot. Very possible. Dont mind the trade in the first round either nor the trade for Josh Johnson. I think a 4th would get it done and some people may say its too much, but if you think the kid can be a starter, a 4th is nothing,

I will say though, everyone seems to be on the Fua bandwagon as well, but the guy is only listed at 305. Im not sure if hes going to be able to be an effective NT at the next level. Then again, id have no problem with him playing DE in the 3-4 so its not a bad pick.

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Great Mock! and its still possible to land Locker in the second anyway. Then we'd draft 3 potential starters with good, talented depth.
Wouldnt you want to draft a QB who doesnt suck?
[ Edited by jojomellon on Jan 18, 2011 at 11:14 PM ]
I like
I actually really like this mock. I'm all for drafting Prince at #7 but this trade would make a lot of sense for us. I'm high on Von Miller but 7 is to high and no way he lasts until the 2nd round. Adding another 2nd rounder is nice and Jimmy Smith is a solid physical CB that could step up and start from day 1.

I don't understand cutting Ted Ginn as he's a solid KR but Chris Carr could fill that void easily IMO. I think he's actually a better PR than Ginn. KR, I'm not so sure. I've always liked Carr from his Boise State days but didn't really expect much from him as a CB in the NFL. However, he has developed nicely at CB and would serve as a solid nickle CB for us with starting ability as well.

I've been a fan of Andy Dalton since his first Bowl game against Boise State. He's a nice fit for the WCO and could start in 2012 or 2013 sitting behind Josh Johnson for a few years. It would give us the ability to actually develop a QB instead of throwing him into the fire before he's ready.

Not really sure how I feel about Malcolm Floyd but I like the selection of Austin Pettis(obviously). I'm higher on Titus Young but I love Pettis' size for the WCO more. He's a solid route runner and has great hands. Other than Vernon Davis we really don't have a legit Redzone Target. Pettis is one of the better ones in this draft. 3rd might be to high but without a 4th from the trades, it makes a lot of sense. I expect his stock to go up after the Senior Bowl and Combine. He might actually surprise with his 40 time, a lot faster than many realize. He'll never be mistaken for a speed demon but he's far from slow.

Derrick Ward and Vickers would be solid adds to our backfield as well. I agree that Vickers is an underrated FB from having to play in Cleveland for his career but he would give us a solid blocking and receiving FB we haven't had in a long time. Ward adds nice depth and could fill in as a solid 3rd down back option.

Overall pretty solid IMO and I also like the idea of drafting two QB's in this draft.
we would win 4 games with those qbs next year. I guess this is the tank for Andrew Luck Mock
Dislikes - Josh Johnson as the starting qb for next season. That's way too much inexperience at qb at the position overall. I like Dalton and Tolzien, just not Johnson.

Everything else is good. The free agent pick ups are very solid. Carr is a solid nickel Cb and would be good in the return game. I'm either way on Ted Ginn. Love the draft, but I just don't see it falling perfectly that the Niners end up with Smith and Miller. But I would love for that to happen. I really like Young but in the 3rd I would look for the best safety available, or maybe see if there is a veteran safety in free agency. I just don't trust Mays, and Smith as starters in the league. I think they are both back up material.

Great job.
Share 49ersWebzone