LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 237 users in the forums

do niners settle for a game manager at qb or take a chance at greatness?

does an andy dalton or christian ponder have the tools to be great qbs--i dont think so--they may manage a game well

locker for all his questions has the tools to be great

looking at the playoff yeams and seeing mannings and bradys and rogers i think niners need to take a shot at greatness---a game manager type might get them in playoffs someday but probably not into a championship
Not looking to pee in your Cheerios but there's a Jake Locker thread that could be utilized for this discussion.

As an FSU fan I wouldn't call Christian Ponder a game manager at all. In fact I'd put him in the other category. I think of Christian Ponder as a poor man's Stave Young. As far as game manager I would put Greg McElroy from Alabama as one for sure.
Originally posted by miked1978:
As an FSU fan I wouldn't call Christian Ponder a game manager at all. In fact I'd put him in the other category. I think of Christian Ponder as a poor man's Stave Young. As far as game manager I would put Greg McElroy from Alabama as one for sure.

Cosigned. I really like Ponder, if he can stay healthy anyway. He's got some mobility and he's pretty accurate and has a good arm.
if we were picking, say, 15th I would be happy with taking Locker. But with the 7th overall pick we are going to be able to get a stud CB like PP or Prince or a stud dlineman that drops to us. I do like Locker, but I jsut think there will be too much talent on the board when we pick that it will be tough to pass that up to take a chance on Jake.
Personally, I think this is an absurd argument.

You go with the guy you think can best succeed at the NFL level, regardless of style.

Montana and Brady are "game manager" type guys. They make the smart play.

Marino, Favre, even Young were more "big play" guys. They will hurt you with aggressiveness sometimes, but will wow you with greatness.

There is no one type of QB who can be successful in the NFL. You shouldn't ever pick a QB because you want a specific style, you should pick who you think will have success at the next level, regardless of HOW they have it. And if necessary, you adapt your play calling/style to fit the QB you have.

I'd take a "conservative" Montana over a "chance for greatness" Jeff George any day.

At the same time, I'd take a "chance for greatness" Elway over a "conservative" Alex Smith or Matt Leinart any day.
Originally posted by mavfd9er:
Not looking to pee in your Cheerios but there's a Jake Locker thread that could be utilized for this discussion.

Locker=Cody pickett! who the hell once that
Share 49ersWebzone