There are 174 users in the forums

Jake Locker Bandwagon

Originally posted by mayo49:
After the Combine watch Lockers stock rise to a top 10 pick. That's why I think we'll end up drafting him.
His stock will depend on Sr. Bowl. How does he do against top competition, when he actually has top notch talent around him.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
After the Combine watch Lockers stock rise to a top 10 pick. That's why I think we'll end up drafting him.
His stock will depend on Sr. Bowl. How does he do against top competition, when he actually has top notch talent around him.

Yeah, but with them switching qb's in and out of the game, I'll be tough to believe he won't get more than one or two series.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 23, 2011 at 10:16 AM ]

Yeah, but with them switching qb's in and out of the game, I'll be tough to believe he won't get more than one or two series.

needs to make them count. whose the coach?
If Locker doesn't kill it in the Senior Bowl and the combine, I don't even want to hear about it. Dudes senior QB season is one of the worst ever.

You can be a great athlete, but if you are inaccurate = problems.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

needs to make them count. whose the coach?

[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 23, 2011 at 11:13 AM ]
I did not watch Washington during the season (who outside the state did actually? ) but I have watched what I could find on youtube. That was not limited to highlights but full drives.

Anyways what I saw was that he is incredibly accurate on the run, even running to his opposite side and having to throw across his body.

Now in the small sample size that I saw, he was accurate inside the pocket WHEN he was fluid in his motion. That is, when he was good with his mechanics and let his arm deliver the ball.
When he tried to "gun" the ball, however, he was very inaccurate. On many occasions, you would see his back leg come all the way over the top (almost like a baseball pitcher, a position Jake played in college). That's a mechanics issue. Having pitched in high school, I know that when you're mechanics are off and your non-pitching shoulder comes open too early, your throwing arm tends to lag and the pitch typically sails.
Can he correct this once he gets to the NFL? I don't know. Aaron Rodgers was able to smooth out his mechanics (he looked much more mechanical coming out of college) but Jay Cutler has not (he still throws using awful mechanics 60% of time).

Finally, a question for all those who was to discredit Jake's bowl win because of his stats. Are you willing to do the same with Ben Roethlisberger, who had the worst statistical performance ever for a Super Bowl winning quarterback?
I don't see this happening but my buddy a fellow 9er fan thinks that Locker may somehow fall to us in the 2nd round. That would be ideal IMO, sign or trade for a vet QB. Draft a CB in the 1st and get Locker to develope in the 2nd. Anybody think there is a chance in hell this will happen?
On the Gabbert issue, I have never seen him play live and once again have limited evidence to go on, but he is just not as accurate as most make him out to be. Particularly for a pure spread quarterback.
Everyone talks about Locker's completion percentage, but Gabbert's was 58^ last year and only 62% this year. And he was playing in a much easier conference with a much more competitive team. I mean even Alex Smith ("oh no he didn't") had a better completion percentage than Gabbert when comparing their last 2 years in school.

Again, I do not pretend to be a quarterback evaluator, but I just don't see what the hype with Gabbert is.
Not much of a fan of Locker. Reminds me of people we already had..
I like him OUT of the pocket... but looks unsettled IN the pocket. Weirdly odd.

Jake Locker, Ricky Stanzi, and Andy Dalton are the only QB's I want the 9ers to draft

I was previously on the Mallet and Newton bandwagon
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
If Locker doesn't kill it in the Senior Bowl and the combine, I don't even want to hear about it. Dudes senior QB season is one of the worst ever.

You can be a great athlete, but if you are inaccurate = problems.

Just how I feel about it ... But I do see Harbaugh picking "His (QB) guy" in the draft this year.
[ Edited by Ibleedgoldnred on Jan 23, 2011 at 9:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Papa_bear_21:
I did not watch Washington during the season (who outside the state did actually? ) but I have watched what I could find on youtube. That was not limited to highlights but full drives.

Anyways what I saw was that he is incredibly accurate on the run, even running to his opposite side and having to throw across his body.

Now in the small sample size that I saw, he was accurate inside the pocket WHEN he was fluid in his motion. That is, when he was good with his mechanics and let his arm deliver the ball.
When he tried to "gun" the ball, however, he was very inaccurate. On many occasions, you would see his back leg come all the way over the top (almost like a baseball pitcher, a position Jake played in college). That's a mechanics issue. Having pitched in high school, I know that when you're mechanics are off and your non-pitching shoulder comes open too early, your throwing arm tends to lag and the pitch typically sails.
Can he correct this once he gets to the NFL? I don't know. Aaron Rodgers was able to smooth out his mechanics (he looked much more mechanical coming out of college) but Jay Cutler has not (he still throws using awful mechanics 60% of time).

Finally, a question for all those who was to discredit Jake's bowl win because of his stats. Are you willing to do the same with Ben Roethlisberger, who had the worst statistical performance ever for a Super Bowl winning quarterback?

I'm assuming you are talking about Ben's first Superbowl. The running game and D won that game, he just managed it.
Originally posted by YungAce:
Jake Locker, Ricky Stanzi, and Andy Dalton are the only QB's I want the 9ers to draft

after this week there will be more "previously on" guys
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by YungAce:

after this week there will be more "previously on" guys

Hey, he can't be wrong if he likes every QB. One of them is bound to succeed in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone