LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

QB vs DB Dilemma

Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:
As much as the 49ers need for a QB, I want the 49ers to pick a top DB too. If 49ers did choose a DB in the first, a decen QB should be there at 2nd round but not sure a decent DB. Decision, decision and decision for Harbaugh and Baalke. What would you guys do?

In 2005, we could have had Orton in the 4th round.

Priority if the best player at each position is available.

1. CB
2. Pass rusher
3. QB
Originally posted by Joecool:
As much as the 49ers need for a QB, I want the 49ers to pick a top DB too. If 49ers did choose a DB in the first, a decen QB should be there at 2nd round but not sure a decent DB. Decision, decision and decision for Harbaugh and Baalke. What would you guys do?

1. CB
2. Pass rusher
3. QB

And we could have had Rodgers in the first ... the bottom line is that we need a franchise QB to contend in this league. If the staff believes a franchise QB is available at 7 they take him. The only way we don't go QB in the first round is if Harbaugh falls in love with a guy that isn't projected to go in the first.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Even assuming that Harbaugh can take a mid to late rounder and create a Pro Bowler out of him, it will probably still take time. I am really worried about the 2011 season, because we may have an awful QB starting for us. In fact, we might be able to draft Luck #1 overall in 2012!
NinerGM....I agree with your logic, but the fact is the 9ers need a franchise QB more than anything for the long haul. Just because we wiffed on Smith over Rogers ( I still think if you swapped the QB's, Smith would have been solid and Rogers would have been damaged goods ), doesn't mean we shouldnt draft a Mallett if he's available. We can still get a solid pass rusher in the 2nd round. Thats the benefit of running the 3-4, we can target pass rushing LB as well as undersized DE's.

To draft a pass rushers for a 3-4 is a difficult spot too. Lets look back at the 09 draft that Clay Matthews was part of.

#3 = Tyson Jackson DE, 1 sack in 2 years
#4 = Aaron Curry OLB, 4 sacks in 2 years
#11 = Aaron Maybin, OLB...is he even in football these days?

The 1st 3 guys were busts and the next three guys were good....Orakpo, Cushing, Matthews. Just like any pick, its a 50/50 crap shoot. So just because we draft a supposed pass rushing DE or OLB, doesnt mean it will translate. Id rather take my 50/50 chance on a possible franchise QB like Mallett. If not, then Id rather take a shot at a shut down corner like Prince. In the 3-4 defense, the pool of players you have to choose from is deeper than CB or QB. Meaning that in the 2nd and 3rd round the drop off isn't as severe as the other position. Unless you know the kid is an absolute stud like Suh last year, Id wait on a pass rusher. Id rather do what the Vikes did and bring in a Jared Allen or what we did and bring in a Justin Smith or what the Bears did with Peppers. Again, those guys are more available than QB's. I cant even name the last star QB in their late 20's, early 30's that was available in the past 10 years. I can give you about a dozen pass rushers though. I hate Lockler and Newton...Gabbart is a big of a project, as is Mallett, but those last two could be real difference makers for us 2-3 years down the line. Not just above average Kitna types, real difference makers at QB. Something we've lacked since Jeff Garcia was throwing to TO.

Again, not discounting the need for a pass rusher that would also help our secondary...but for me, Id rather the 9ers spend their lotto ticket on a QB or CB than pass rusher any day.
Originally posted by midrdan:
Originally posted by Joecool:

1. CB
2. Pass rusher
3. QB

And we could have had Rodgers in the first ... the bottom line is that we need a franchise QB to contend in this league. If the staff believes a franchise QB is available at 7 they take him. The only way we don't go QB in the first round is if Harbaugh falls in love with a guy that isn't projected to go in the first.

We don't need a Franchise QB just because he played well in college. If a QB has the ability that aligns to what Harbaugh wants to do, then one can be molded into a Franchise QB from the middle rounds.

The QB position is the one position a HC can mold into a better QB. Nearly all other positions require elite talent. The QB position does not require elite talent. QB's with elite talent are drafted high and paid high but don't play high.

Peyton Manning isn't in the draft and no teams knows if Tom Brady is in the draft. I don't stake any high priority in a position that requires more molding than it does talent.
Share 49ersWebzone