LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

QB vs DB Dilemma

Trade back, and take Locker baby!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
I am amazed at how many people here are in the either QB or DB in the first round thought process.

This team is in desperate need to improve its pass rush. I've been saying it for several years now and we keep forgetting about it. We need to change that this year.

There is some decent depth at DB in this draft and no QB is worth #7 overall.

You improve the pass rush you improve the whole defense. Corners become instantly better when you don't have to cover a guy for 10 seconds.

One Reggie White or Bruce Smith can make a whole secondary look good.
See I dont think there's a dilemma. At #7 I think its Robert Quinn, Prince, Dareus in that order (obviously the chalk picks are already gone). One of them will be there and if not that Peterson/Bowers/AJ Green will be and well take one of them. No quarterback is worth the #7 pick IMO.

Not crazy about Stanzi.
I would be extremely upset if we drafted Mallett.
I would draft Gabbert if we traded down and picked up some more picks. (Doubt this is realistic.)

Devlin I think is a possibility as well and Kellen Moore and Andy Dalton.
Depending on how the Browns feel about Colt McCoy i'd trade for him as well.
Originally posted by BobS:
I am amazed at how many people here are in the either QB or DB in the first round thought process.

This team is in desperate need to improve its pass rush. I've been saying it for several years now and we keep forgetting about it. We need to change that this year.

You improve the pass rush you improve the whole defense. Corners become instantly better when you don't have to cover a guy for 10 seconds.

One Reggie White or Bruce Smith can make a whole secondary look good.

Amen. Elite corners/DBs =/= Elite defense.

Elite pass rush = elite defense
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:

I understand the correlation and the need for DE. But at #7, there isn't really a DE you would want that early. A quality DB and QB will be there at #7. I do like Clayborn from Iowa and Heyward from Ohio St.

I'm not talking about a DE. I'm talking about an OLB which is the position mainly responsible for bringing pressure on the QB.

I agree #7 outside of maybe Quinn there isn't anyone worth it, that's why I very much hope we trade down and look at guys like Aldon Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, Von Miller or Justin Houston.

It gives us another second round pick which allows us to address CB AND QB.

Hit on easily our 3 biggest needs with good value at each pick.

This is what I was saying in another post. A shutdown corner is not a need to have a great defense, but a pass rush is. To me, the thinking at #7 should be Robert Quinn or we trade down. The pick should improve the team overall and no pick outside of QB would improve our team more than getting a pass rush. There is no QB worth the #7 pick right now, so the focus has to be on OLB.

Robert Quinn at no.7 will be a great choice. He is a 3 down player, can play at OLB on the first two downs and can rush the QB from DE position on the 3rd down.

At 265+ lbs - and 4.6 speed, and the kind of production he had last two years - makes him a perfect OLB for us. He is only a Junior. He may be there at our pick, will hate to see Arizona draft him.

Agreed. They probably are the only team likely to take him, but I doubt (or maybe I hopeit doesn't) it happens.

Drafting Quinn, moving Manny to weakside, and having Laboy and Brooks in the rotational along with more creative playcalling (frequent blitzing) should turn us into a defense that can actually stop a team every now and again when we need a stop.

I'd like for the team to trade Parys Haralson as well. Not a necessary move, but if we can net a 4th or 5th round pick out of it, make the move.

I don't think Haralson is worth anything. I doubt Manny returns, he is a FA and will likely go to a 4-3 team.

Von Miller at 7 is crazy talk in my opinion.

I understand the correlation and the need for DE. But at #7, there isn't really a DE you would want that early. A quality DB and QB will be there at #7. I do like Clayborn from Iowa and Heyward from Ohio St.

I'm not talking about a DE. I'm talking about an OLB which is the position mainly responsible for bringing pressure on the QB.

I agree #7 outside of maybe Quinn there isn't anyone worth it, that's why I very much hope we trade down and look at guys like Aldon Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, Von Miller or Justin Houston.

This is what I was saying in another post. A shutdown corner is not a need to have a great defense, but a pass rush is. To me, the thinking at #7 should be Robert Quinn or we trade down. The pick should improve the team overall and no pick outside of QB would improve our team more than getting a pass rush. There is no QB worth the #7 pick right now, so the focus has to be on OLB.

Robert Quinn at no.7 will be a great choice. He is a 3 down player, can play at OLB on the first two downs and can rush the QB from DE position on the 3rd down.

At 265+ lbs - and 4.6 speed, and the kind of production he had last two years - makes him a perfect OLB for us. He is only a Junior. He may be there at our pick, will hate to see Arizona draft him.

Agreed. They probably are the only team likely to take him, but I doubt (or maybe I hopeit doesn't) it happens.

Drafting Quinn, moving Manny to weakside, and having Laboy and Brooks in the rotational along with more creative playcalling (frequent blitzing) should turn us into a defense that can actually stop a team every now and again when we need a stop.

I'd like for the team to trade Parys Haralson as well. Not a necessary move, but if we can net a 4th or 5th round pick out of it, make the move.

I don't think Haralson is worth anything. I doubt Manny returns, he is a FA and will likely go to a 4-3 team.

Yeah Parys is a back up and Manny is gone plus he wasnt a good pass rusher in the first place. Hopefully Brooks steps up and we can re-sign LaBoy.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Yeah Parys is a back up and Manny is gone plus he wasnt a good pass rusher in the first place. Hopefully Brooks steps up and we can re-sign LaBoy.

there is no guarantee that Manny is gone. IMO he needs to be resigned. While he isn't a great "sack" numbers guy he does get pressure. He is also one of the best coverage LB in the league as well as he knows how to set the edge so RB can't get outside. A must resign if you ask me.
Originally posted by backontop:

there is no guarantee that Manny is gone. IMO he needs to be resigned. While he isn't a great "sack" numbers guy he does get pressure. He is also one of the best coverage LB in the league as well as he knows how to set the edge so RB can't get outside. A must resign if you ask me.

I just don't think he's coming back though dude. He held out already last offseason, and he wants to get paid. As far as we know he is pretty unhappy with management and he probably fits better in someone's 4-3 defense anyway. It'd suck to lose him but Idon't think he'll want to stay. As long as we resign Franklin we're good IMO.

I just don't think he's coming back though dude. He held out already last offseason, and he wants to get paid. As far as we know he is pretty unhappy with management and he probably fits better in someone's 4-3 defense anyway. It'd suck to lose him but Idon't think he'll want to stay. As long as we resign Franklin we're good IMO.

I dunno, did you see Harolson, Laboy and Brooks trying to set the edge? They were horrible!!!

I dunno, did you see Harolson, Laboy and Brooks trying to set the edge? They were horrible!!!

You mean run defense right? Yeah they weren't very good, but I still don't see Manny wanting to come back unless we drastically overpay.

You mean run defense right? Yeah they weren't very good, but I still don't see Manny wanting to come back unless we drastically overpay.

what makes you think he is so unhappy?
You have to go QB with the #7 pick. This is our BEST chance to get a franchise QB for the long term health of our team. No team can win without a good QB unless they catch lightning in a bottle and have an ALL TIME great D like Baltimore did. But go ask Steeler fans about a great D and no QB, they'll tell you the same, it didn't happen until they got a franchise QB. Their D was elite for years, but the rings didnt come until Big Ben came to town. A pass rusher and CB are needs no doubt, but we need a franchise QB more than any of those. Every good team has a solid signal caller, something we've lacked for over a decade. Unless 2-3 QB's are picked ahead of us, then yes, Prince is the pick. But if Mallet or Gabbert are there, they are the no brainer picks. I dont understand why everyone is down on Ryan Mallet. Ive been a huge college football fan my entire life, so Ive seen almost all his games. Im a Penn State fan and clearly remember when Mallett was recruited by Michigan and then transferred to Arkansas. The kid is a BEAST, 6-6 and nearly 240. He's Big Ben part II. I dont care about combine stats, or looking at total season stats when the Cam Newtons of the world throw up big numbers against Chattanooga state. ( BTW - that was Newtons only 300+ passing game all year long ). Mallet was the focal point of the passing game and did it against some of the best D's in the league.

@ Georgia = 380 yds
Bama = 357 yds ( threw a terrible pick to lose that game in the end though )
@ Texas A&M = 310 yds
@ South Carolina = 303 yds
LSU = 320 yds
OSU = 277 yds ( threw a bad pick at the end of that game, but the drops by his receivers that day KILLED HIM )

He threw picks, but most of the season, he had no running game. Everyone knew Mallet was the man to stop ( through the air, not by him running ). If he didnt get hurt early in the 2nd quarter of the Auburn game ( 10-15..96yds 1 TD..no INT ), that game may have ended a lot differently. Lots of the picks can be attributed to the offense he played in, Bobby Petrino loves to sling the ball. But in 2 years Mallet threw for over 7500 yards, 62 TD and 19 picks. Did I mention that he's 6'6" 240? Yes he was some warts like bad feet in the pocket and little mobility, but so did Big Ben coming out of college. You cant teach his size and arm strength. He can make any throw on the field and it's hard to bring down. Let our new HC teach him the rest. Forget friggin Stanzi, Ive seen every Iowa game, he's terrible. And Pat Devlin? He couldnt make the Penn State team that had no QB, so he transferred to Delaware, where Flacco thrived, and everyone's on him? Believe me, Ive followed both QB's and they are no NFL QB's. Cam Newton is another bust. He wasnt close to Vince Young's polish at this stage and look how that turned out? I dont like any QB that can bail himself out with a 10 yard run on 3rd down. Its so easy to look good as a running QB in college, that all stops at the next level unless you're as fast as Vick..which he's not. The only two QB's worth a pick are Mallet and Gabbert. Both are big, strong, accurate and can make any throw on the field. Let Harbaugh teach them the rest. Draft one of those two and bring in McNabb for 2 years while the kid learns the offense. None of these QB's should be starting in year one. Lets look at Aaron Rogers as an example of how a young QB should be handled.

We could argue this point till the cows come home, but I feel very confident in Trent and Jim knowing the importance of getting a franchise QB at #7. This is our chance, HOPEFULLY, we wont have this high a draft pick for a LONG LONG time....

GO 9ERS!
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
You have to go QB with the #7 pick. This is our BEST chance to get a franchise QB for the long term health of our team. No team can win without a good QB unless they catch lightning in a bottle and have an ALL TIME great D like Baltimore did. But go ask Steeler fans about a great D and no QB, they'll tell you the same, it didn't happen until they got a franchise QB. Their D was elite for years, but the rings didnt come until Big Ben came to town. A pass rusher and CB are needs no doubt, but we need a franchise QB more than any of those. Every good team has a solid signal caller, something we've lacked for over a decade. Unless 2-3 QB's are picked ahead of us, then yes, Prince is the pick. But if Mallet or Gabbert are there, they are the no brainer picks. I dont understand why everyone is down on Ryan Mallet. Ive been a huge college football fan my entire life, so Ive seen almost all his games. Im a Penn State fan and clearly remember when Mallett was recruited by Michigan and then transferred to Arkansas. The kid is a BEAST, 6-6 and nearly 240. He's Big Ben part II. I dont care about combine stats, or looking at total season stats when the Cam Newtons of the world throw up big numbers against Chattanooga state. ( BTW - that was Newtons only 300+ passing game all year long ). Mallet was the focal point of the passing game and did it against some of the best D's in the league.

@ Georgia = 380 yds
Bama = 357 yds ( threw a terrible pick to lose that game in the end though )
@ Texas A&M = 310 yds
@ South Carolina = 303 yds
LSU = 320 yds
OSU = 277 yds ( threw a bad pick at the end of that game, but the drops by his receivers that day KILLED HIM )

He threw picks, but most of the season, he had no running game. Everyone knew Mallet was the man to stop ( through the air, not by him running ). If he didnt get hurt early in the 2nd quarter of the Auburn game ( 10-15..96yds 1 TD..no INT ), that game may have ended a lot differently. Lots of the picks can be attributed to the offense he played in, Bobby Petrino loves to sling the ball. But in 2 years Mallet threw for over 7500 yards, 62 TD and 19 picks. Did I mention that he's 6'6" 240? Yes he was some warts like bad feet in the pocket and little mobility, but so did Big Ben coming out of college. You cant teach his size and arm strength. He can make any throw on the field and it's hard to bring down. Let our new HC teach him the rest. Forget friggin Stanzi, Ive seen every Iowa game, he's terrible. And Pat Devlin? He couldnt make the Penn State team that had no QB, so he transferred to Delaware, where Flacco thrived, and everyone's on him? Believe me, Ive followed both QB's and they are no NFL QB's. Cam Newton is another bust. He wasnt close to Vince Young's polish at this stage and look how that turned out? I dont like any QB that can bail himself out with a 10 yard run on 3rd down. Its so easy to look good as a running QB in college, that all stops at the next level unless you're as fast as Vick..which he's not. The only two QB's worth a pick are Mallet and Gabbert. Both are big, strong, accurate and can make any throw on the field. Let Harbaugh teach them the rest. Draft one of those two and bring in McNabb for 2 years while the kid learns the offense. None of these QB's should be starting in year one. Lets look at Aaron Rogers as an example of how a young QB should be handled.

We could argue this point till the cows come home, but I feel very confident in Trent and Jim knowing the importance of getting a franchise QB at #7. This is our chance, HOPEFULLY, we wont have this high a draft pick for a LONG LONG time....

GO 9ERS!

When you have a guy like Harbaugh as your coach, you have the luxury of not having to get a QB in the first round. I don't want to use a Bill Walsh comparison, but fact is, he go after a QB in the first round, and quite frankly, didn't need to. Mike Holmgren took an undrafted free agent named Matt Hasselback and turned him into a pro-bowler. When Andrew Luck came out of highschool, he wasn't the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rated QB in the nation (he was 6th) and Jim Harbaugh molded him into the consensus number 1 pick. It's not likely you find a franchise guy in the later rounds, so I understand your logic of taking a QB at #7. However when you have a staff that can develop a quarterback, it is no longer a must to drafted a guy in the first round. That said, the pick that helps our team the most is the best pass rusher available, and that guy hopefully is Robert Quinn.
I dont disagree with your assessment, we need a pass rusher bad. But just like those examples of QB's found late, there are a plethora of pass rushers that were also not 1st round picks. Lets be honest, QB, DE, CB...its a 50/50 shot in round 1. The difference is that once you find a good QB, they are NEVER available in FA. Pass rushers are. The highest upside for our team as a whole, long term, is to use that lottery ticket on a QB that can take us to the next level. I love that Jim is a developer of QB's, why not actually give him one with talent already and he can mold him into an elite one? All three spots,,QB, CB, DE/OLB are HUGE needs for us. But our D is still decent right? Passing D is subpar, but when you really look at it, its our offense that needs the most work. Now that we have an offensive minded HC, that said "the QB position is the most important one"...I know he'll make the right move.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Oh my gawd, thank you! I feel like I'm in the twilight zone around here.

A pass rush would be great ... but without a franchise QB we aren't winning anything. Everybody says that no QB in this class is worth No. 7 but I'm not so sure. However if we could get Peterson, I'd take a lock down corner over a 3-4 OLB any day of the week, especially considering the success that teams like Pittsburgh, NE, and the Giants have had finding pass rushers in the 2 - 7 rounds. The bottom line is we need a solid overall draft to build on last year and that will require finding pass rushers in the mid to late rounds. We've drafted enough CBs in the 6th round to tell me that if we don't get one of the top 2 CBs in a draft the odds are against finding a gem in the later rounds.
Share 49ersWebzone