LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

QB vs DB Dilemma

As much as the 49ers need for a QB, I want the 49ers to pick a top DB too. If 49ers did choose a DB in the first, a decen QB should be there at 2nd round but not sure a decent DB. Decision, decision and decision for Harbaugh and Baalke. What would you guys do?
I waffle back and forth constantly on this topic. I'm now watching Cutler and now I have "Gunslinger Envy." Ryan Mallett wouldn't look bad in Red and Gold.
I am amazed at how many people here are in the either QB or DB in the first round thought process.

This team is in desperate need to improve its pass rush. I've been saying it for several years now and we keep forgetting about it. We need to change that this year.

There is some decent depth at DB in this draft and no QB is worth #7 overall.

You improve the pass rush you improve the whole defense. Corners become instantly better when you don't have to cover a guy for 10 seconds.
Just my opinion...Let it be known that I have complete confidence in Jimmy boy to get his QB one way or the other. With the 7 pick, personally I want Peterson or Amakumura. UNLESS...Harbaugh think's Locker is THE GUY, then I don't want a QB until later rounds (Stanzi).
Originally posted by genus49:
I am amazed at how many people here are in the either QB or DB in the first round thought process.

This team is in desperate need to improve its pass rush. I've been saying it for several years now and we keep forgetting about it. We need to change that this year.

You improve the pass rush you improve the whole defense. Corners become instantly better when you don't have to cover a guy for 10 seconds.

I understand the correlation and the need for DE. But at #7, there isn't really a DE you would want that early. A quality DB and QB will be there at #7. I do like Clayborn from Iowa and Heyward from Ohio St.
Originally posted by Kenyonsdad:
Just my opinion...Let it be known that I have complete confidence in Jimmy boy to get his QB one way or the other. With the 7 pick, personally I want Peterson or Amakumura. UNLESS...Harbaugh think's Locker is THE GUY, then I don't want a QB until later rounds (Stanzi).

I like Stanzi as well or even Dalton at 2nd. Or Ponder or McElroy on 4th.
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:

I understand the correlation and the need for DE. But at #7, there isn't really a DE you would want that early. A quality DB and QB will be there at #7. I do like Clayborn from Iowa and Heyward from Ohio St.

I'm not talking about a DE. I'm talking about an OLB which is the position mainly responsible for bringing pressure on the QB.

I agree #7 outside of maybe Quinn there isn't anyone worth it, that's why I very much hope we trade down and look at guys like Aldon Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, Von Miller or Justin Houston.

It gives us another second round pick which allows us to address CB AND QB.

Hit on easily our 3 biggest needs with good value at each pick.

Oh my gawd, thank you! I feel like I'm in the twilight zone around here.

I'm not talking about a DE. I'm talking about an OLB which is the position mainly responsible for bringing pressure on the QB.

I agree #7 outside of maybe Quinn there isn't anyone worth it, that's why I very much hope we trade down and look at guys like Aldon Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, Von Miller or Justin Houston.

But have you sen Peterson from LSU? He's a play maker and dual threat. DB and punt/kick returner. I'll be thrilled to have a Db for the next 8-10 years.

Von Miller is a beast.. I wouldn't mind the 49ers drafting him at 10 is they traded back. Willis and Miller at LB. Wowww.

Totally agree with this.....there are some really good DEs in this draft....that could fit the 3-4 or the 4-3... It would be great if Peterson were gone by the 7th pick if the Niners could get a D lineman that could rush the passer to play as a bookend to Justin Smith, someone that could command a double team. That would improve this team immensely.
My preference the first 3 rounds. DB,QB,DE any combination.
If the CBA is still up in the air come draft day then I can't see the Niners drafting anything other than a first round QB, hopefully Gabbert. If the CBA's a done deal then it puts other positions back on the table.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

I'm with you. I want pass rush. I want von miller at #7.
[ Edited by krizay on Jan 19, 2011 at 6:24 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:

I'm with you. I want pass rush. I want von miller at #7.

Von Miller plays at 230-235lb - even if he bulks up to 240lb for combine, I don't know if that's enough. He has great first step and has tremendous motor, he is relentless and all those things look good - but he is too small and will get pushed around in NFL. Teams will run at him at will and I'm not sure how healthy he will stay going up against 320lb linemen in practice and in games.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Jan 19, 2011 at 6:38 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone