There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mock Offseason involving trades

• sfout
  • Veteran
I'll get right into it, hopefully I didn't miss anything. I've taken the idea of going young, moving players for picks completely to heart, this is completely hypothetical due to the impact the trades or lack thereof would have on the draft.
I took the liberty of drafting 2 QBs during my shenanigans because I think we will be completely starting over at QB and cut Carr and use his salary on someone useful.
This could be a little too much wishful thinking but let me know what you guys think.

FA pick ups/resigns:
Offense
QB:
Donovan McNabb or Kellen Clemens
Dennis Dixon
RB:
Brian Westbrook
FB:
Le'Ron McClain
OL:
David Baas
Jeremy Trueblood
WR:
Lance Long(practice squad)

Defense
DE:
Ray MacDonald
LB:
Takeo Spikes
CB:
Chris Carr
S:
Dawan Landry

Cuts/walks:
Offense
QB:
A. Smith
T. Smith
D. Carr
RB/FB:
M. Norris
OT:
B, Simms
T. Wragge
WR:
D. Ziegler

Defense
DE:
D. Evans
NT:
A. Franklin
LB:
M. Lawson
T. LaBoy
CB:
N. Clements
S/FS:
D. Goldson

Trade
Offense

RB:
Frank Gore to Bengals for 2nd round and 5th rounder in this draft(Assuming Cedric Benson or Brian Leonard leave in FA
WR:
Josh Morgan to Jets for 4th rounder this year(assuming they lose Holmes and/or Edwards in FA)

Draft
1. Prince Amukamara CB
2.(from Gore trade) Muhammed Wilkerson DE
2. Andy Dalton/Devlin QB(I would support drafting Stanzi but right now Dalton is a 2nd rounder, Devlin a 3rd and Stanzi a 4th so putting Dalton/Devlin doesn't require too much work)
3. Colin McCarthy LB
4. Kendall Hunter RB
4. Sione Fua NT
4.(from Morgan trade) Tim Barnes C
5.(from Gore trade) Tejay Johnson S
5. Orlando Franklin OT
6. DeAndre Brown WR
6. Derek Hall OT
7. Jerrod Johnson QB

QB: McNabb/Clemens, Dennis Dixon, Andy Dalton, Jerrod Johnson
RB: Westbrook, Dixon, Kendall Hunter
FB: Le'Ron McClain, Byham
LT: Staley, Trueblood, Franklin
LG: Iupati, Baas
C: Heitmann, Barnes
RG: Rachal, Snyder
RT: Davis, Boone, Hall
TE: Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker
WR: Crabtree, Gin, Williams, Long, Brown

SS: Landry, Mays
FS: Smith, Johnson, Spillman
RCB: Amukamara, Carr, James
LCB: Spencer, Brown, Adams
WLB: Haralson, Gibson
MLB: Willis, Kristick
TLB: Spikes, Bowman
SLB: Brooks, McCarthy
RDT: Smith, Wilkerson
NT: RJF, Fua
LDT: Sopoaga, MacDonald
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 16, 2011 at 3:08 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 16, 2011 at 9:04 AM ]
For the most part I like the concept of your drafting and off-season moves. The thing I don't like is getting rid of Gore. We need to keep Gore. He is a constant in the offense. I think under Harbaugh he will do even better. Hopefully less touches on the ball, but more effective. Screen passes will be key.

The draft situation I do hope that we go with Prince or Peterson. We absolutely need a CB. That is key. We can stop the run all day, but if they are throwing over our heads what does it really matter? I Hope that we get Dalton or Devlin as well. I think both have an outstanding chance to be something in the NFL if they are allowed to develop unlike our dear friend Alex Smith (who I still think has a future in the NFL if he finds the right situation).

With that being said, we need to pick up a Veteran QB to be our starter for at least two years. McNabb or Kolb are on my list. If we can can get Kolb for a 2nd lets go for it. Don't waste a first on him, because I think our need at CB is so great that we could manage getting another vet QB. We get one of those two players I think we go 10-6 next year and make the playoffs.

This of course is all contigent upon or linemen stop jumping offside and start blocking as well.

For the guy that asked about Pat Devlin. He went to a high school near where I teach. Great arm, good football mind. He will be a project, but I think he is a safer bet than taking Mallett, Gabbert, or Newton in the first. I think those three are going to expect to start and will ultimately put too much pressure on themselves and fail. Devlin has the ability to be an excellent QB. He went to Penn State, but was not going to start right away so he transferred to Delaware. Sound familiar (Joe Flacco)? So if we can get a guy similar to Flacco I'm all for it.

Alright first post ever on here. Sorry I rambled so much.
not sure why you would choose to let so many walk on our defense. lawson gets no respect around here because he wasnt the pass rusher he was drafted to be but the fact is hes our best coverage LB and still great in the run. Laboy was actually one of our best pass rushers as well and would be cheap.

doubt we would get a 2nd and 5th for gore....benson probably will be back for atleast a year and they have a guy bernard scott ? who seems like he can be pretty decent
i dont like the morgan trade. why does everyone want to get rid of him? hes a solid #2, much better than Ginn or Williams. and unlike Crabtree he will take the time to learn a new system and play in the preseason to get reps with a new QB
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JuiceisLoose:
For the most part I like the concept of your drafting and off-season moves. The thing I don't like is getting rid of Gore. We need to keep Gore. He is a constant in the offense. I think under Harbaugh he will do even better. Hopefully less touches on the ball, but more effective. Screen passes will be key.

The draft situation I do hope that we go with Prince or Peterson. We absolutely need a CB. That is key. We can stop the run all day, but if they are throwing over our heads what does it really matter? I Hope that we get Dalton or Devlin as well. I think both have an outstanding chance to be something in the NFL if they are allowed to develop unlike our dear friend Alex Smith (who I still think has a future in the NFL if he finds the right situation).

With that being said, we need to pick up a Veteran QB to be our starter for at least two years. McNabb or Kolb are on my list. If we can can get Kolb for a 2nd lets go for it. Don't waste a first on him, because I think our need at CB is so great that we could manage getting another vet QB. We get one of those two players I think we go 10-6 next year and make the playoffs.

This of course is all contigent upon or linemen stop jumping offside and start blocking as well.

For the guy that asked about Pat Devlin. He went to a high school near where I teach. Great arm, good football mind. He will be a project, but I think he is a safer bet than taking Mallett, Gabbert, or Newton in the first. I think those three are going to expect to start and will ultimately put too much pressure on themselves and fail. Devlin has the ability to be an excellent QB. He went to Penn State, but was not going to start right away so he transferred to Delaware. Sound familiar (Joe Flacco)? So if we can get a guy similar to Flacco I'm all for it.

Alright first post ever on here. Sorry I rambled so much.

All good on the rambles. I do it too.

Yes Gore has been a constant but I was just going off his age and sure it had something to do with Sing running him into a wall for two years but he hasn't come close to his amazing stats in his second year since. He is also a very effective catcher but so are so many of this years RBs and if you can go younger for a dirt cheap price(4th round) why wouldn't you? But I was also going off the pretense of keeping Dixon as our "power" back and keeping Brian on for veteran presence while we groom a guy like Devine, Rodgers, or Hunter.

You essentially agreed with me on the QB situation, I agree that Kolb for a first rounder when he is a relative unknown is not a good trade. If we could get Bulger, McNabb, Clemens or someone along those lines for just cash(no trades) it has to be our best option.

That's awesome that you have a preexisting knowledge of Devlin and actually like him, I actually got my idea of drafting Jerrod Johnson in the 7th because of a full draft mock simulator that I found last night, and hey if we can completely solve our QB solution in the course of one off season I'm all for it.

Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
not sure why you would choose to let so many walk on our defense. lawson gets no respect around here because he wasnt the pass rusher he was drafted to be but the fact is hes our best coverage LB and still great in the run. Laboy was actually one of our best pass rushers as well and would be cheap.

doubt we would get a 2nd and 5th for gore....benson probably will be back for atleast a year and they have a guy bernard scott ? who seems like he can be pretty decent

First off, I only chose the Bengals to give a finite destination and get an idea of where we would pick but there are probably 10 teams that would be willing to trade for Gore. The Bengals have two free agent RBs and they are going to nuke themselves into rebuilding and if they could take on Gores final year just to have a backfield of Benson/Gore or Gore/Scott you know they would do it. Also why wouldn't we be able to get a 2nd and a 5th or 6th for a RB who rushed for over 1,000K each of his first 5 seasons and 500 receiving yards each year after his rookie year? Sure reading those back you might ask yourself why am I bolstering the argument to keep him? But why would we continue to invest in him when Westbrook is just as capable if not more capable in the WCO then Gore and we could go young with a draft pick and still have our power runner in Dixon. It's just business, go young, save money and build for the future.

Yes that is why we let Lawson walk, because he isn't the pass rusher we thought he was.....You just shot yourself in the foot by agreeing with me. Under that same idea we should keep Alex smith because he is good at some things but not everything we thought(that sounds hilarious reading it back but it still echoes true, if you can upgrade why not?). It just sounds a little ludicrous to settle for Lawson when we could get a guy like McCarthy in the draft and promote Brooks to a full time starting gig and give a shot at proving himself in a contract year.

Originally posted by niners9:
i dont like the morgan trade. why does everyone want to get rid of him? hes a solid #2, much better than Ginn or Williams. and unlike Crabtree he will take the time to learn a new system and play in the preseason to get reps with a new QB

Morgan is the most expendable, high trade value but easily replaceable, why wouldn't you move him if it meant making the team better as a whole entity? You can't say he is better then Ginn because Ginn was rarely targeted and Ginn's upside on special teams makes him harder to move then Morgan. With Williams you can't even make that comparison because Williams hardly saw action as a rookie. You don't know why Crabs missed those games this year and last year when he was being signed was a fiasco. You're telling me that if you got picked at 11 instead of 7 or falling farther and you're 20 years old and you have people whispering in your ears to get 25 million instead of 20 million you wouldn't try? Give the kid a break, he made a dumb move and is quickly proving to be a better player then Morgan and maybe not even be a #1 WR but a #2 himself.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 16, 2011 at 9:04 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

OH NOES!!!11111 Your post count is in the 18 thousands, you know so much more about football then other people......God, get over yourself.
Pretty bad i must say.

Who in their right mind would trade a 2nd and 5th rounder for Gore? Yes he's great when healthy, but he's rarely healthy. Especially coming off a BROKEN HIP. His trade value is non existent. I wish everyone on this board would come to that realization

If ted ginn and santonio holmes get traded for 5th rounders, why in the hell would anyone trade a 4th round pick to get JOSH MORGAN????

This ain't madden bruh.

Also letting Franklin walk and not getting anything for him is silly. Franchise him, then trade him. Also i'll bet my left nut Devlin isn't a 2nd round pick. MAYBE a 5th or 6th.
Originally posted by sfout:

OH NOES!!!11111 Your post count is in the 18 thousands, you know so much more about football then other people......God, get over yourself.

The point of this rant?
As for the letting certain people go and retaining certain players here are my thoughts:

Josh Morgan - I don't think we can trade him. Even though the past two seasons he has been somewhat of a disappointment I'm not sure we are going to be able to find anything better for him, nor do I think we would get more than a 6th rounder for him. I say keep him he has too much up side.

Kellen Clemens/Dennis Dixon - If we pick either of them up I say we are in a worse situation than the Smith Conundrum we just had. Neither of them are the solution or an answer unless we want to go even further downhill.

Westbrook - He can go either way, but I see no way he signs with us. He wants more time and he isn't going to get it. Remember he is one hit to the head from being completely done.

Takeo Spikes - One more year to help teach Navarro Brown and then we have no more use for him. Brown is going to be a stud.

Laboy or Lawson - It is going to have to be one or the other. Both played well enough someone is going to give them a ridiculous contract. We will only be able to afford one.

Franklin - If he can get himself into camp on time and deal with working through a franchise tag to get a deal than lets keep him. If he can't, let RJF get his turn.

Our main needs are a QB and Secondary. If we can solve these riddles through Free Agency and the Draft we should be pretty good for years to come. Of course this is a lot easier said than done, because we haven't done this in years.

wtf
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

WTF, are you talking about?
I'm kind of opposed to having so many draft picks.

We already have ten. How many rookies even make the team? I'd rather trade some of those late rounders and package them with other picks or players.

No way 10 rookies make the team, and even if they do, I doubt the ones in the later rounds make an early impact.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

The point of this rant?

His smiley face post original read "I didn't realize this was noob thread". You should just keep your unintelligent thoughts to yourself if you are going to waste your time posting that. It's no wonder he's hit 18k in posts when he just throws out dumb one liners trying to put down a thread. That is all, I knew people would be like wtf but it's cool.
When are people going to realize WE WILL NOT TRADE GORE he is our best layer after willis.....no way we trade him. We wont let laboy lawson franklin and clements walk. Maybe two of the four.

If our front office is smart we get mcnabb at qb
draft a cb with our number seven
sign a fa cb like champ or nmandi and a pass rusher and we are set