There are 69 users in the forums

Pick #7

Pick #7

Please read before voting...

Let's say we get a vet QB to start this year. Let's say everything else is the same (Lawson, Clements, Goldson). Do you go for a potential project QB early or even get a starter before the season is over or do you select one of these other spots and if so which? I will take out some options like Peterson, AJ Green, Fairley because they will probably be gone.


Just kind of something to kill time before the draft. Just seeing where everyone is at. Obviously, before FA it's hard to tell.

Edit: I just seen there is a poll down the board but it was Prince vs QB.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 16, 2011 at 1:18 AM ]
Luck is not in this draft.
Amukamara. And we should pick up Asomugha in Free Agency, then trade for Akwasi Owusu-Ansah from the Cowboys...

[ Edited by DaDivaRecieva15 on Jan 16, 2011 at 1:07 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Luck is not in this draft.

Sorry, obviously meant Locker
Pass rush or CB. Don't care. Both are major needs
No one wants a QB... I think that might change later on, I feel like one of those QB's is gonna jump out as the clear cut #1 in the class

I think its gonna be Gabbert
Right now, the only guy that is worth the #7 pick and fills a need is Prince. Patrick Peterson is likely gone at that point and as much as I want Cam Newton, that is too much of a project to take at #7 overall. The scenario that I hope plays out is that none of the QBs are off the board by the time we pick or at most one. If that happens, that #7 pick has even greater trade value and we can move further back into the 1st round and pick up some extra picks. A team like Minnesota, Miami, Tennessee, may be willing to move up to get a QB.

Also, as much as I'd like a shutdown corner, that is not a necessary component to having a dominant defense. It gives you some flexibility, but the real key is being able to pressure the QB.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
No one wants a QB... I think that might change later on, I feel like one of those QB's is gonna jump out as the clear cut #1 in the class

I think its gonna be Gabbert

Could be but I think he has run the spread his entire career. From what I have read/seen... He hasn't taken snaps from under center, gets jumpy when there is pressure. Sounds like Alex to me. I do agree that he could be the #1 QB but don't think he fits the WCO. Put him in the spread like what we should have done with Alex to help him succeed and you might have a pretty good QB. Not to say QBs can't learn a new offense it's just I would like one from a WCO background or who shows the traits of a WCO QB. Obviously, you want cool in the pocket, good with the short/intermediate throws, can play action, make reads, smart, accurate, etc.

You got guys out there who have never took snaps from center, never play actioned, don't know how to read defenses, want to run first, inaccurate, make bad descisions, etc. I know all have a lot of flaws... we have to evaluate them and decide which is best.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 16, 2011 at 5:46 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Right now, the only guy that is worth the #7 pick and fills a need is Prince. Patrick Peterson is likely gone at that point and as much as I want Cam Newton, that is too much of a project to take at #7 overall. The scenario that I hope plays out is that none of the QBs are off the board by the time we pick or at most one. If that happens, that #7 pick has even greater trade value and we can move further back into the 1st round and pick up some extra picks. A team like Minnesota, Miami, Tennessee, may be willing to move up to get a QB.

Also, as much as I'd like a shutdown corner, that is not a necessary component to having a dominant defense. It gives you some flexibility, but the real key is being able to pressure the QB.


Thatt would be nice but to me either way we are in good shape. We are still in that top player range and not in that no man's land where all the elite talent is gone and you might be in the reach area. Kind of like well Peterson/Prince is gone but Brandon Harris is too early at 11, 12, 13, etc. Or Robert Quinn are gone but it's too early for Ayers/Beal/Houston, etc.

At 7 IMO either way a great player will drop even if nobody takes a QB before us.
Just throwing out a random order...

1. Fairley 2. Bowers 3. Green 4. Quinn 5. Dareus 6. Peterson
7. Well, that gives us option of Prince or any QB/trade w/ someone who wants QB

Or

1. Fairley 2. Bowers 3. Green 4. Dareus 5. Peterson 6. Prince
7. Well, that gives us option of Quinn or any QB/trade w/ someone who wants QB

Now say a couple QBs go we have the option of the other QBs or the two other players that fell. Could be Quinn, could be Dareus, could be Prince, Green, etc.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 16, 2011 at 5:41 AM ]
We need a difference maker. I voted pass rushing OLB
Do people on here still don't think we need to improve our pass rush or are they just that much on the Amukamura bandwagon?
The 49ers will draft a QB, I just don't believe it will be in the first round. Having a coach that especializes in QB's gives you the flexibility to draft one in the later rounds. I say the team goes for the CB in the first.
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
The 49ers will draft a QB, I just don't believe it will be in the first round. Having a coach that especializes in QB's gives you the flexibility to draft one in the later rounds. I say the team goes for the CB in the first.

We only have one qb under contract and that is Carr! With the FA situation, you can guarantee we will pick at least one qb.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,749
I really dont think Amukamara is #7 worthy, Peterson yes, Amakamura No. I trust Harbaugh if he thinks there is a QB worthy at #7 but if not, we got to go pass rusher.
[ Edited by jimrat201 on Jan 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM ]
Share 49erswebzone