LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 380 users in the forums

MadDog49er Mid-January Mock Draft with Niners' Full Draft

Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Mad Dog:
I your top ten of this draft how would you rank them in turns of 49ers needs and if all ten were accessible to the niners how would you rank them in terms of actual picking order?

In terms of need is a bit hard to tell, since free agency is not upon us, but I'll give it a shot in terms of eligible and projected top ten picks:
1) QB- Right now, David Carr is the starter
2) CB- Soon, Nate Clements will be on another roster
3) OLB- When was the last time we had a legitimate pass rusher?
4) WR- Still looking for a star receiver, which has not been on the roster since T.O.
5) DE- Not the greatest need, but the quality of 3-4 DE's in this draft is sensational

My Niners' board, based on the projected top end draftees, would be:
1) Gabbert
2) Peterson
3) AJ Green
4) Fairley
5) Bowers
6) Dareus
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Mad Dog:
I your top ten of this draft how would you rank them in turns of 49ers needs and if all ten were accessible to the niners how would you rank them in terms of actual picking order?

In terms of need is a bit hard to tell, since free agency is not upon us, but I'll give it a shot in terms of eligible and projected top ten picks:
4) WR- Still looking for a star receiver, which has not been on the roster since T.O.
5) DE- Not the greatest need, but the quality of 3-4 DE's in this draft is sensational

1) Gabbert
2) Peterson
3) AJ Green
4) Fairley
5) Bowers
6) Dareus

Does that mean that if both Gabbert and Peterson were gone by pick 7, you would take Green?....and if Peterson was gone by pick 7 and Gabbert was not, you would take Gabbert?
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
I just have a good feeling about Casey Matthews, I'd like to add him in there, but otherwise good mock

Terrific college player. Not sure the Niners would be interested unless he is still on the board in the 5th or 6th round. They seem to be high on Bowman, which I don't get.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Mad Dog:

1) Gabbert
2) Peterson
3) AJ Green
4) Fairley
5) Bowers
6) Dareus

Does that mean that if both Gabbert and Peterson were gone by pick 7, you would take Green?....and if Peterson was gone by pick 7 and Gabbert was not, you would take Gabbert?

Yes, and yes. This would be my board if we were drafting one, three, five or ten. So, if Peterson and Gabbert are on the board at seven, I'm taking the QB.
As always MD

AB and I ran a mock about a week ago and we have some very close similarities. DL going 1-3, QB at 4, and Peterson at 7. I do have a feeling that Cincy still goes Mallet at 4 though. I do hope we pass on ALL QB's at 7, this class is weak. Also I really would rather go after the best OLB, DL, or WR in the 2nd. The statistics on QB's succeeding that have been drafted in the 2nd is not very good. And any kid drafted in the first or second probably wont see the field anyways....would rather wait another round.
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
I just have a good feeling about Casey Matthews, I'd like to add him in there, but otherwise good mock

Terrific college player. Not sure the Niners would be interested unless he is still on the board in the 5th or 6th round. They seem to be high on Bowman, which I don't get.

please explain....him and Qillis will dominate the 3-4 for the next decade. He played behind Takeo Spikes for all intents and purposes had a better year than Willis, when he was healthy. Bowman when given time showed his flashes of what he can do in Spikes place. So really, please explain this.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
MD, you talk a lot about Gabbert. Can you break that down a bit more. How good of a prospect is he? what's his ceiling?

If you could construct a QB, Gabbert would look something like the perfect model. He has excellent size, at 6'5", 235, but is very athletic (he will probably run in the 4.75-4.80 area). Strong arm, able to make all the throws downfield. Is a solid leader, who is highly competitive, and puts time in the film room.

Now, he has to begin to work under the center, but that is the case of most college QB's moving into the NFL. Gabbert is a player who will probably need a full year of preparation, but will get some reps, and maybe take over during the year, as the #1 will probably falter.

All the tools, the only question is whether he can put it all together at the next level. I think he is going to be very good in the NFL.

What are you basing all of this off of? Do you have film on Gabbert? Are you tapped into the Mizzou scene? Or are you just a fan w/ clouded judgement? I'm not trying to sound negative, i just don't see it based off the 4 or so games of his i've watched.

I want to see the Gabbert light. I do. Unfortunately for me, what i've seen -- coupled with his stats, aren't very conducive to being a 1st or 2nd round pick.

With that being said, i am very high on Stanzi. What are your thoughts on him? And if you say his arm strength isn't NFL starter worthy, then i'll just discredit your opinion all together.
Originally posted by jreff22:
As always MD

AB and I ran a mock about a week ago and we have some very close similarities. DL going 1-3, QB at 4, and Peterson at 7. I do have a feeling that Cincy still goes Mallet at 4 though. I do hope we pass on ALL QB's at 7, this class is weak. Also I really would rather go after the best OLB, DL, or WR in the 2nd. The statistics on QB's succeeding that have been drafted in the 2nd is not very good. And any kid drafted in the first or second probably wont see the field anyways....would rather wait another round.

this, 2nd round qbs have been awful recently
[ Edited by cory4903 on Jan 16, 2011 at 8:54 PM ]
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
MD, you talk a lot about Gabbert. Can you break that down a bit more. How good of a prospect is he? what's his ceiling?

If you could construct a QB, Gabbert would look something like the perfect model. He has excellent size, at 6'5", 235, but is very athletic (he will probably run in the 4.75-4.80 area). Strong arm, able to make all the throws downfield. Is a solid leader, who is highly competitive, and puts time in the film room.

Now, he has to begin to work under the center, but that is the case of most college QB's moving into the NFL. Gabbert is a player who will probably need a full year of preparation, but will get some reps, and maybe take over during the year, as the #1 will probably falter.

All the tools, the only question is whether he can put it all together at the next level. I think he is going to be very good in the NFL.

What are you basing all of this off of? Do you have film on Gabbert? Are you tapped into the Mizzou scene? Or are you just a fan w/ clouded judgement? I'm not trying to sound negative, i just don't see it based off the 4 or so games of his i've watched.

I want to see the Gabbert light. I do. Unfortunately for me, what i've seen -- coupled with his stats, aren't very conducive to being a 1st or 2nd round pick.

With that being said, i am very high on Stanzi. What are your thoughts on him? And if you say his arm strength isn't NFL starter worthy, then i'll just discredit your opinion all together.

Im very high on Stanzi too. I think he has a high capacity upstairs to put it together and succeed in the pros. He has willingness to learn from his misstakes and a passion to win, along with his very good abilities.
any chance locker falls to 2nd?
[ Edited by ninerbrand on Jan 17, 2011 at 5:06 AM ]

Mad Dog:

1) Gabbert
2) Peterson
3) AJ Green
4) Fairley
5) Bowers
6) Dareus

MD -- I haven't given any thought to either Fairley or Bowers. My impressions were they were 43 Dline types. Fairley a 1 gap, penetrating DT, and Bowers your typical 43DE. Now that I see them both on your big board, I was wondering what your thinking was. Just talent alone?
Originally posted by cory4903:
Originally posted by jreff22:
As always MD

this, 2nd round qbs have been awful recently

Remember, past performance is no guarantee of future returns.
I haven't read through all the pages on this thread so you may have addressed this, but I don't see Cincy passing on Patrick Peterson to select Gabbert...not with Joseph becoming a UFA. Don't get me wrong, I can see the logic in developing someone behind Palmer, but to skip over a top-tier guy who not only fills a gaping whole on your defense, but who can also very likely start from day one?

Anything is possible, but I have a hard time seeing that one.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I haven't read through all the pages on this thread so you may have addressed this, but I don't see Cincy passing on Patrick Peterson to select Gabbert...not with Joseph becoming a UFA. Don't get me wrong, I can see the logic in developing someone behind Palmer, but to skip over a top-tier guy who not only fills a gaping whole on your defense, but who can also very likely start from day one?

Anything is possible, but I have a hard time seeing that one.

I agree. I still believe Gabbert will most likely end up in Arizona. The perfect scenario for the Cards or Niners is to trade for or sign a QB for 2 years and draft Gabbert for their future QB.
^ Cincy and Cleveland are both kind of hard to project to me. Cincy lets coaching do the scouting and draft selections to a large extent, Marvin Lewis is on shaky ground and in what I see as win now mode so I just don't see them taking a rookie QB. I see them taking an impact player that helps right away. With the CBA situation drafting a QB means 2 years until they really have a legitimate shot at contributing.

I really don't see how AJ Green gets by them due to need and circumstances.
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:40 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone