There are 199 users in the forums

Build for the future Mock

Originally posted by ninerbrand:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Not down with Locker in the 1st.

When we can probably get him in the 2nd.

I say CB 1st.

then locker.

Im good with Titus Young. I also like Jeff Maehl in the 3rd. for a slot WR.

Locker doesn't get out of the top 10. 2nd round? ZERO chance. ESPN might think he's slipped, but I promise you, scouts are still very high on him.

Locker is the 4th rated QB on ESPN.

I don't know what scouts on teams will say. This is my only source.

His stats have dipped this year under his 2nd year in a pro system. He is often erratic in the pocket and holds the ball too long. They compared him to Alex Smith on SI. Thats from another source (Mike Mayock).

I don't see 4 QBs going in round 1. It doesn't happen that often. I don't think it will this year.

I think Gabbert, Newton, and Mallet go in Round 1. Mallet is iffy to me.

If Colt McCoy can go to round 3 and Jimmy Clausen in round 2.

I can definitely see this happening.

ESPN knows nothing. Ever. Read some decently reputable scouts. Online scouts aren't amazing, but some offer good insight. CBS Sports' Rob Rang has discussed him quite a bit, and I've been following his analysis of Locker all year. Also, please provide the link to Mayock comparing Locker to Smith. I don't buy it. Plus, Mayock recently has been talking nonsense. Ever since his "Rober Ayers is the best player in the draft" stage, I have a hard time taking him seriously.

Espn knows nothing?

Really?

Thats funny considering that they report what the hell is happening first as far as breaking news goes, before other NFL team beat writers do, (including ours)

To say that the draft experts on ESPN know nothing, is a ludicrous statement.

They are by NO means the "end all, be all" when it comes to prospects and the draft, and they are often wrong in evaluations. I think in general they set a decent parameter to go by.

Here are Locker's stats from his best year (2009) first year under steve sarkisian.

in his first season in Sarkisian's offense, Locker thrived, throwing for 2,800 yards and 21 touchdowns, completing 58% of his throws. The 2,800 yards passing is the third-highest total in Washington history and the TD throws were fourth best at a school with a tradition of producing NFL quarterbacks.

Those aren't amazing numbers. Most notably his 58% completion rate. Alex Smith completes around that number.

in 2010 his numbers in almost all categories dropped. Locker completed 55% of his passes. Thew for 17 TDs (21 in '09) and threw for about 600 less yards.

Where a guy like Cam Newton, who I would say is not known for his passing threw for over 70% of his passes and 30 TDs. Newton is a spread QB, but still impressive numbers.

I don't think there is any chance Locker goes in round 1.

I dont want to get I to the espn debate. You think they're great, fine. As for Locker's stats, I'm well aware if them. No doubt about that. Not impressive. It's the things I listed that make him an intriguing prospect. Stats in college tell a small story. Look at Alex Smiths college numbers...insane! The spreD doubles your yds and TD...at least. But to say there's no chance Locker goes in rd 1?!?!? No chace? Ok

I say CB 1st.

then locker.

Locker doesn't get out of the top 10. 2nd round? ZERO chance. ESPN might think he's slipped, but I promise you, scouts are still very high on him.

His stats have dipped this year under his 2nd year in a pro system. He is often erratic in the pocket and holds the ball too long. They compared him to Alex Smith on SI. Thats from another source (Mike Mayock).

I don't see 4 QBs going in round 1. It doesn't happen that often. I don't think it will this year.

ESPN knows nothing. Ever. Read some decently reputable scouts. Online scouts aren't amazing, but some offer good insight. CBS Sports' Rob Rang has discussed him quite a bit, and I've been following his analysis of Locker all year. Also, please provide the link to Mayock comparing Locker to Smith. I don't buy it. Plus, Mayock recently has been talking nonsense. Ever since his "Rober Ayers is the best player in the draft" stage, I have a hard time taking him seriously.

Espn knows nothing?

Really?

Thats funny considering that they report what the hell is happening first as far as breaking news goes, before other NFL team beat writers do, (including ours)

To say that the draft experts on ESPN know nothing, is a ludicrous statement.

They are by NO means the "end all, be all" when it comes to prospects and the draft, and they are often wrong in evaluations. I think in general they set a decent parameter to go by.

Here are Locker's stats from his best year (2009) first year under steve sarkisian.

in his first season in Sarkisian's offense, Locker thrived, throwing for 2,800 yards and 21 touchdowns, completing 58% of his throws. The 2,800 yards passing is the third-highest total in Washington history and the TD throws were fourth best at a school with a tradition of producing NFL quarterbacks.

Those aren't amazing numbers. Most notably his 58% completion rate. Alex Smith completes around that number.

in 2010 his numbers in almost all categories dropped. Locker completed 55% of his passes. Thew for 17 TDs (21 in '09) and threw for about 600 less yards.

Where a guy like Cam Newton, who I would say is not known for his passing threw for over 70% of his passes and 30 TDs. Newton is a spread QB, but still impressive numbers.

I don't think there is any chance Locker goes in round 1.

I dont want to get I to the espn debate. You think they're great, fine. As for Locker's stats, I'm well aware if them. No doubt about that. Not impressive. It's the things I listed that make him an intriguing prospect. Stats in college tell a small story. Look at Alex Smiths college numbers...insane! The spreD doubles your yds and TD...at least. But to say there's no chance Locker goes in rd 1?!?!? No chace? Ok

if a guy can't complete passes at a high percentage in college, what makes you think he can do it in the pros? Where the passing lanes/windows are much smaller with better corners?

Do you think he will be less erratic in the pocket with better athletes coming off the edges?

I'm not saying he will be a terrible QB, maybe he can be good in TIME. But to spend a 1st round pick on him, I'd most definitely say not.

2nd round. For sure.

edit:

You have not said one thing to say why he deserves to go in round 1?

Why?

Because he is from a pro style offense?

OK. Jimmy Clausen ring a bell?

ROUND 2

FINAL THOUGHT:

No where in your mock do you address the CB/S Position in the draft.
Which even with Asomuagh is still a need
[ Edited by ninerbrand on Jan 14, 2011 at 3:37 AM ]

if a guy can't complete passes at a high percentage in college, what makes you think he can do it in the pros? Where the passing lanes/windows are much smaller with better corners?

Do you think he will be less erratic in the pocket with better athletes coming off the edges?

I'm not saying he will be a terrible QB, maybe he can be good in TIME. But to spend a 1st round pick on him, I'd most definitely say not.

2nd round. For sure.

edit:

You have not said one thing to say why he deserves to go in round 1?

Why?

Because he is from a pro style offense?

OK. Jimmy Clausen ring a bell?

ROUND 2

FINAL THOUGHT:

No where in your mock do you address the CB/S Position in the draft.
Which even with Asomuagh is still a need

Why Locker is a 1st round pick?

- The things you can't teach are off the charts. Athleticism, arm strength, footwork (most important QB attribute), leadership, toughness, vision as a runner, accuracy (btw, people who think this is his biggest issue are high--he is an accurate passer, but not to the same degree as Luck).

-His biggest problems are correctable through coaching. As we've seen, a number of QBs like this have gone very high: Steve Young, Michael Vick, and Even Tebow, whose physical tools don't compare to Locker's.

-He has one of the highest upsides of any QB coming out in years

-He is build for the system we are about to employ

-He plays the most coveted position in all of sports. A position that pushed turds like A. Smith into the draft's top spot, and mediocre college QBs like Lossman, Grossman, Jason Campbell into the 1st round.

Addressing the CB...

-You can't draft every position. So I think signing the best CB in the league solves that pretty well. Can I ask you this. Say we don't get Nnamdi (very likely that we don't), or even that he didn't become a FA as we just found out, and I would instead have us drafting Peterson or Amukamara. Would that solve our CB issues, or would you want me drafting even more CBs? The point of course being that Nnamdi is better than both. So why does he not solve our issues?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
My take on Locker -- If OSU can baffle Locker over the course of 2 seperate games and hold him to 6 quarters without a completion, just imagine what he would be like in the nfl if we threw him right out there. Every QB in the draft is developmental and with a solid 10 QBs in the pool this year it is highly unlikely that we spend our first rounder on a QB. We will definitely be going after a defensive play maker in the first.
Originally posted by jojomellon:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Sorry but I have to say that Locker is not a top 10 QB. At best, a late round 1st. However, having watched him play in the few games I saw, he won't make a good pro. People have said alex smith reincarnated, I say Ryan Leaf reincarnated.

I see no comparison whatsoever.
all physical skills, no mental skills.

Locker's got great mental skills as far as leadership and having the will to get better. It's some of his mechanics that needs some polishing and the way he plants his feet.
Was not you, or someone else, talking about his 'superb' footwork? Going 4/20 in two different games and being less than 55% on the season doesnt sound like having the skills to read a defense. Nor the 'will to get better' when he regressed this year. None of these Locker-cuses make any sense. You cant polish a turd.

He does have pretty good footwork. Here's a scouting report from Scott Wright:
Quote:
Strengths:
• Adequate height and ideal bulk with a sturdy frame
• Fantastic all-around athlete
• Arm strength is outstanding and can make all the throws
• Smart, mature, hard working and a team leader
• Great mobility to buy time and make plays with his feet
• Throws well on the run
• Impressive footwork and throwing mechanics
• Nice touch, timing and accuracy
• Spent two years working in a pro style system
• Knows how to go through progressions. Keeps eyes downfield
• Tough and Fearless. Will play through pain and injuries
• Extremely competitive and supremely confident
• Has proven to be clutch late in games
• Able to adjust to adverse weather conditions
• Lots of experience against top-notch competition
• Still has a ton of upside and potential

Keep in mind that his o-line rarely gave him time to throw which is why he had to make plays with his legs. This lead to his deep thigh bruise and cracked rib. But you'll probably just say "Lockexcuses" again, right?
the proof is in the pudding. None of those things mean anything, its all just b.s. superlatives. Some of them are even wrong. He doesnt go through his progressions at all. Hes one read and run. None of that means anything if it doesnt show up on the field, which it doesnt. You could come up with a nice fluffy list for any QB, doesnt mean anything unless you see it on the field. Again, its been PROVEN, Qbs who cant complete 60% of their passes in college are 99% of the time busts. But Locker is going to somehow buck this trend?
So he sucked in college cus he didnt have alot of talent around him. What if he is picked by a team in the NFL that sucks? Good players will elevate the talent around them. I guess he cant do that.

Josh Freeman didn't have an impressive college career but he was taken in the 1st round because of his potential, and now, with the right coaching, he's starting to impress. I still wonder whether or not you've watched any of his games besides the Nebraska games. The reason he's been a one read and run QB was because he didn't have enough time to go through his progressions. Sark didn't run a west coast offense, which IMO would be the best offense for Locker. Locker's o-line gave him no time while his receivers were too soft to progress through their routes.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I feel like he'd be great under Harbaugh's offense where there are quick routes and quick reads. You, on the other hand, just care about college stats.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Sorry but I have to say that Locker is not a top 10 QB. At best, a late round 1st. However, having watched him play in the few games I saw, he won't make a good pro. People have said alex smith reincarnated, I say Ryan Leaf reincarnated.

I see no comparison whatsoever.
all physical skills, no mental skills.

Locker's got great mental skills as far as leadership and having the will to get better. It's some of his mechanics that needs some polishing and the way he plants his feet.
Was not you, or someone else, talking about his 'superb' footwork? Going 4/20 in two different games and being less than 55% on the season doesnt sound like having the skills to read a defense. Nor the 'will to get better' when he regressed this year. None of these Locker-cuses make any sense. You cant polish a turd.

He does have pretty good footwork. Here's a scouting report from Scott Wright:
Quote:
Strengths:
• Adequate height and ideal bulk with a sturdy frame
• Fantastic all-around athlete
• Arm strength is outstanding and can make all the throws
• Smart, mature, hard working and a team leader
• Great mobility to buy time and make plays with his feet
• Throws well on the run
• Impressive footwork and throwing mechanics
• Nice touch, timing and accuracy
• Spent two years working in a pro style system
• Knows how to go through progressions. Keeps eyes downfield
• Tough and Fearless. Will play through pain and injuries
• Extremely competitive and supremely confident
• Has proven to be clutch late in games
• Able to adjust to adverse weather conditions
• Lots of experience against top-notch competition
• Still has a ton of upside and potential

Keep in mind that his o-line rarely gave him time to throw which is why he had to make plays with his legs. This lead to his deep thigh bruise and cracked rib. But you'll probably just say "Lockexcuses" again, right?
the proof is in the pudding. None of those things mean anything, its all just b.s. superlatives. Some of them are even wrong. He doesnt go through his progressions at all. Hes one read and run. None of that means anything if it doesnt show up on the field, which it doesnt. You could come up with a nice fluffy list for any QB, doesnt mean anything unless you see it on the field. Again, its been PROVEN, Qbs who cant complete 60% of their passes in college are 99% of the time busts. But Locker is going to somehow buck this trend?
So he sucked in college cus he didnt have alot of talent around him. What if he is picked by a team in the NFL that sucks? Good players will elevate the talent around them. I guess he cant do that.

Josh Freeman didn't have an impressive college career but he was taken in the 1st round because of his potential, and now, with the right coaching, he's starting to impress. I still wonder whether or not you've watched any of his games besides the Nebraska games. The reason he's been a one read and run QB was because he didn't have enough time to go through his progressions. Sark didn't run a west coast offense, which IMO would be the best offense for Locker. Locker's o-line gave him no time while his receivers were too soft to progress through their routes.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I feel like he'd be great under Harbaugh's offense where there are quick routes and quick reads. You, on the other hand, just care about college stats.

• Nuns
  • Veteran

I say CB 1st.

then locker.

What are you talking about? Right after the 2005 draft ESPN picked Frank Gore as the worst pick in the draft. Two years later he was awarded the best value pick of the draft. They are always spot on!
[ Edited by Nuns on Jan 14, 2011 at 8:53 AM ]
Clements most likely will be gone. Shawntae needs to removed for younger talent. I'm not so sure about t brown. So picking a cb and nnamdi to sure up our backend will help our entire d.

I just want it to be known, that overall I agree with you on locker and your right any qb with the right coaching and system can be good, IMO, but I think there might be too many question marks about him.
Clements most likely will be gone. Shawntae needs to removed for younger talent. I'm not so sure about t brown. So picking a cb and nnamdi to sure up our backend will help our entire d.

Huh? REMOVED? Hes 28. What kind of wacky idea is that?
Originally posted by Nuns:

I say CB 1st.

then locker.

What are you talking about? Right after the 2005 draft ESPN picked Frank Gore as the worst pick in the draft. Two years later he was awarded the best value pick of the draft. They are always spot on!

They did? Kiper said that he was the steal of the draft

Share 49ersWebzone