LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Build for the future Mock

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
This is becoming my biggest pet peeve, people thinking that we can somehow fix our QB issues with Stanzi or Dalton or some guy in rd 7. Let's try this: what 3 positions dictate whether you are a winning team? And the answer...drumroll...quarterback! Quarterback! Quarterback! Singletary has brainwashed you all. Think Walsh, not Singletary! Bring the QB back to SF! In this scenario we are fixing the secondary by shifting Nate and signing Nnamdi, we'll be OK. Has anyone watched Stanzi? He's not that good. If he were...we would be talking about him in the first. If 32 teams pass on a QB, and 6 pass on him twice, I would say it's fair to assume that this QB seeing success would be a surprise, rather than the expectation. Unless everyone on this board is so brilliant, that they see something on YouTube that GMs around the league havent noticed through hours Nx hours of legitimate tape study. Locker is an elite talent, with elite intangibles, and could receive elite coaching from Harbaugh. He's not there yet, I know, but watch a game...you'd be hard pressed to find many issues with his game. Don't be a stat/YouTube GM.

Drumroll..................................................Tom Brady 6th rd............................... Tony ROmo, undrafted.................... Bunch of Youtube Gms?????????? Please get off Lockers nuts
Id say not being able to complete a pass as being a pretty big issue with his game. Who cares about how good his throwing motion is if he cant get the ball to his WRs? Oh yes, his Wrs are 'pushed out of bounds' every play(which by the way I think you are basing only on what you saw on a few plays in the bowl game). Again, Jay Cutler played with much worse and never looked so bad. Ive never seen a worse QB so fawned over. I mean, at least Colt Brennan was productive in college, Locker cant even do that much. Ive never heard of expecting a player to play better at a higher level when he cant even play well at a lower level. But I do suppose his 'footwork' is good. You're right.

Do you know what the bust rate is for QBs who dont complete 60% of their passes in college is?
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/lopez/07/08/qb.rule/index.html

Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Joey Harrington. 1st round picks with comp. % as bad as Locker's. These are facts. Not just a bunch of superlatives about how much of a 'man' Locker is. (what does that mean anyways?)

And why are you even comparing him to Alex Smith anyways? Where did that come from?

And why in the world would Nnamdi sign with the 9ers? PROXIMITY? That's a new one. Hes been losing (or loosing as you'd say) for 7 years. Every team in the NFL is going to offer him elite money, so why wouldn't he sign with a winner? PROXIMITY! Or having a good LB to play with. Two good reasons....
[ Edited by jojomellon on Jan 13, 2011 at 7:56 AM ]
Here's tie link for the unnamed NFC scout comparing Locker to Alex.It's a chilling read.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/01/12/2011-nfl-draft/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin
Originally posted by rivercity:
Here's tie link for the unnamed NFC scout comparing Locker to Alex.It's a chilling read.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/01/12/2011-nfl-draft/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin

One scout for an NFC team told me this week that Locker's accuracy on the run is much better than in the pocket, but that it's hard to overlook how hesitant he can appear when he's not rolling out.

"He's not very natural,'' the scout said. "At the end of the day, he's indecisive in the pocket, and I've got reservations about guys like that. Pop in a tape of Alex Smith. ... To me, the issues are the same with Locker. [Stuff] happens fast back there [in the pocket], and it's often not very clean. He'll cock it one time, and then re-cock it, and by that time the defenders are on you. I think there are some real similarities between the two, Locker and Smith. Mallett is natural. Cam Newton is natural. Locker's not very natural.''
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by rivercity:

One scout for an NFC team told me this week that Locker's accuracy on the run is much better than in the pocket, but that it's hard to overlook how hesitant he can appear when he's not rolling out.

"He's not very natural,'' the scout said. "At the end of the day, he's indecisive in the pocket, and I've got reservations about guys like that. Pop in a tape of Alex Smith. ... To me, the issues are the same with Locker. [Stuff] happens fast back there [in the pocket], and it's often not very clean. He'll cock it one time, and then re-cock it, and by that time the defenders are on you. I think there are some real similarities between the two, Locker and Smith. Mallett is natural. Cam Newton is natural. Locker's not very natural.''
Yep. Pretty much what I was saying. He's a thrower, not a quarterback. Im sure standing still, in practice, he throws a pretty football, he is a pitcher afterall, isnt he? But he just sucks a QB. Theres no way around it. People saw that he had a high grade last year(based on potential, not results), and just want to believe hes still worth a high pick despite alllll of his shortcomings.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
This is becoming my biggest pet peeve, people thinking that we can somehow fix our QB issues with Stanzi or Dalton or some guy in rd 7. Let's try this: what 3 positions dictate whether you are a winning team? And the answer...drumroll...quarterback! Quarterback! Quarterback! Singletary has brainwashed you all. Think Walsh, not Singletary! Bring the QB back to SF! In this scenario we are fixing the secondary by shifting Nate and signing Nnamdi, we'll be OK. Has anyone watched Stanzi? He's not that good. If he were...we would be talking about him in the first. If 32 teams pass on a QB, and 6 pass on him twice, I would say it's fair to assume that this QB seeing success would be a surprise, rather than the expectation. Unless everyone on this board is so brilliant, that they see something on YouTube that GMs around the league havent noticed through hours Nx hours of legitimate tape study. Locker is an elite talent, with elite intangibles, and could receive elite coaching from Harbaugh. He's not there yet, I know, but watch a game...you'd be hard pressed to find many issues with his game. Don't be a stat/YouTube GM.

Walsh never spent a high draft pick on a QB, he developed them. So well in fact this his development system was passed on to coaches under him and taken throughout the league. Remeber when one QB went out, the next would always come in and perform, down to a 3rd stringer like Jeff Brohm or Elvis Grbac?
I wouldn't be mad with Locker as our first pick. A lot of people just look at the stats and are suddenly afraid to take a chance on a guy who has great upside and just needs the right coaching. A poster brought up the Nebraska game and said that Locker performed poorly. As a passer, yes, he didn't have a high completion rate. But this is more of a pro towards Nebraska's secondary than a con towards Locker. That Nebraska secondary was very aggressive with UW's receivers, constantly locking them up and getting them pushed out of bounds. Locker, instead, made plays with his feet (even breaking two tackles to score a TD).

What I don't agree with the OP is how selecting someone like Stanzi wouldn't do our team well. I've watched a lot of Iowa games this year and was very impressed with how pro ready Stanzi looked. From his footwork, to his mechanics, to his leadership. The guy will transition very well to the pros IMO.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
A poster brought up the Nebraska game and said that Locker performed poorly. As a passer, yes, he didn't have a high completion rate. But this is more of a pro towards Nebraska's secondary than a con towards Locker..

He was awful TWICE against Nebraska. And do you think the defenses in the NFL are somehow not as good as this Nebraska defense? Theyre better, in every way. And he didnt have a good completion % alllll year, not just those two games. Worse Qbs have done much better throwing to worse WRs than locker did this year. Its just all excuses. People were enamored with JeMarcus Russell's arm too, and Ryan Leaf. Unfortunately, throwing a ball is the most basic of skills that a QB needs to have, there are a million other things that go into it that those guys didnt have, and neither does locker.

And you talk about coaching, but the guy has had a very good QB coach in Sarkisian the last two years, its not like hes languishing under some bad, defensive minded coach who isnt trying to work with him.
I don't understand the theory that if Harbaugh and crew go after Nnamdi they can't multi task and still go after another big name free agent if they wanted too. they aren't retards.

And this draft for the future theory is outdated. Look around head coaches are turning there teams around in 1/2 years. Drafting for the future gets you fired. You need to draft guys in the 1st 3 rounds that can get on the field and contribute immediately. That has been the Niners biggest problem with draft picks. The guys they have taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds over the last 3 years haven't produced anything substantial. Niners really just getting Reggie Smith on the field for evaluation when he was drafted in 08. While smartly ran teams like the Eagles, and Packers have 2nd and 3rd round safeties they drafted in 10 starting and performing well in there 1st year. While Mays is on the bench b/c he can't cover. But hey hopefully 3 years from now he's great. Ask Singletary how that worked out for his coaching career. You get good players now and they produce for you now. Then you extend them and they continue to grow and become your future. I believe the new coaching staff realizes this.
Originally posted by jojomellon:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
A poster brought up the Nebraska game and said that Locker performed poorly. As a passer, yes, he didn't have a high completion rate. But this is more of a pro towards Nebraska's secondary than a con towards Locker..

He was awful TWICE against Nebraska. And do you think the defenses in the NFL are somehow not as good as this Nebraska defense? Theyre better, in every way. And he didnt have a good completion % alllll year, not just those two games. Worse Qbs have done much better throwing to worse WRs than locker did this year. Its just all excuses. People were enamored with JeMarcus Russell's arm too, and Ryan Leaf. Unfortunately, throwing a ball is the most basic of skills that a QB needs to have, there are a million other things that go into it that those guys didnt have, and neither does locker.

And you talk about coaching, but the guy has had a very good QB coach in Sarkisian the last two years, its not like hes languishing under some bad, defensive minded coach who isnt trying to work with him.

Yes, defenses are better in the NFL, but Locker will also have better talent on his side of the ball in the pros. The commentators for the bowl game against Nebraska continuously talked about how the UW receivers weren't helping Locker out and were playing "soft" against Prince and Dennard. If his receivers weren't getting locked up, they were dropping passes (his #1 target Kearse had over 8 drops this past season). But Sark finally didn't force it and won the game through the run game (which also included Locker rushing the ball) and defense.

I'm not a fan of Sark. I also remember Harbs not being too impressed with Sark.

I agree that Locker isn't a good QB. Never said he was. Look at what I said: he has elite skills- footwork, arm, accuracy, calm under pressure, speed, size, strength, mobility-things you can't teach. He is not a good QB. This is obvious. I also stated that were it not for Harbaugh, I wouldn't even consider him. If Singletary was our coach it would spell disaster. Unlike Alex, Locker has the benefit of a competent QB coach. Harbaugh can develope him. Locker is incomparable to Josh Johnson, who Harbaugh turned into a legit player. This guy's talent and intangibles are through the roof, and our new HC is the right guy to develope the talent into on-the-field productivity.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I don't understand the theory that if Harbaugh and crew go after Nnamdi they can't multi task and still go after another big name free agent if they wanted too. they aren't retards.

And this draft for the future theory is outdated. Look around head coaches are turning there teams around in 1/2 years. Drafting for the future gets you fired. You need to draft guys in the 1st 3 rounds that can get on the field and contribute immediately. That has been the Niners biggest problem with draft picks. The guys they have taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds over the last 3 years haven't produced anything substantial. Niners really just getting Reggie Smith on the field for evaluation when he was drafted in 08. While smartly ran teams like the Eagles, and Packers have 2nd and 3rd round safeties they drafted in 10 starting and performing well in there 1st year. While Mays is on the bench b/c he can't cover. But hey hopefully 3 years from now he's great. Ask Singletary how that worked out for his coaching career. You get good players now and they produce for you now. Then you extend them and they continue to grow and become your future. I believe the new coaching staff realizes this.

Big name FAs are signed in the first minutes of free agency. We won't get two simultaneously. Remember that other teams are competings as well, right? Btw, when did a team land 2 huge name FAs in the same year? I might be wrong, bit I don't recall that happening. As for building for the future, I meant that we trade away a 2nd round pick, get a 2012 1st rounder, and draft a QB that will take time to develope, because that's the best option for us. Still think Young starts ASAP, Elmore starts, and Havili starts, while Clements and Nnamdi fix the CB, and FS positions. That's a lot of starters in 1 offseason
I agree that Locker isn't a good QB. Never said he was. Look at what I said: he has elite skills- footwork, arm, accuracy, calm under pressure, speed, size, strength, mobility-things you can't teach. He is not a good QB. This is obvious. I also stated that were it not for Harbaugh, I wouldn't even consider him. If Singletary was our coach it would spell disaster. Unlike Alex, Locker has the benefit of a competent QB coach. Harbaugh can develope him. Locker is incomparable to Josh Johnson, who Harbaugh turned into a legit player. This guy's talent and intangibles are through the roof, and our new HC is the right guy to develope the talent into on-the-field productivity.

A - Locker's accuracy is his biggest weakness, not an elite skill.

B - Josh Johnson has yet to show anything in the NFL. Tearing it up at ACME University is a far cry from NFL caliber defenses.

I am just a little scared that the people on this board think Harbaugh has this magic QB wand that he can wave and turn average QBs into golden boys.

When was Joe Cool drafted? NFL Draft: 1979 / Round: 3 / Pick: 82
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

You say he is not good twice yet you wanna take him 7th overall?
Share 49ersWebzone