There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tico's Mock Version 2.0

Can you guys be more specific with FA moves?

FA Pick ups
Nnamdi Asomugha, CB--Stays in Bay Area and we have $$$ to spend
Matt Hasselbeck, QB--Perfect buy for Mentor and help Harbaugh implement WCO
Davin Joesph, OG--Before injury, rock solid. Better upgrade from Rachal
Chris Goocong, DE/OLB--Loved this kid at CalPoly. Comes back to Cali and provides depth and ST
Paul Soliai, NT--Planned as starter. Elevated play on Nolan's D in Miami.
Richard Seymour, DT/DE--End of career, but still worth getting for right price. Upgrade at LDE!

Each of those can be had, all six. They are not all top flight FAs. The only one is Nnamdi and he's available. The assumptions that he doesn't want to go here are just that, assumptions. My assumption is that we are a real prospect for him especially since he's firmly entrenched in the Bay Area Community. Sure's he's going to be expensive, but we have the money and the direction to spend it.

As far as the others, I will go into my thinking behind it as I knew I was going to get smack for all those FA. The fact is that we will be losing some key pieces of last year's D in Goldson, Manny, Franklin, Evans, and LaBoy...five on D! We need bodies and Soliai, Seymour, and Goocong fit the bill and are available. How much they will cost can be debated, but they are not going to call for Nnamdi or Logan numbers.

We have to go get at least four if not more FA to fill in our roster guys. Am I under valuing them maybe, but for the most part I can see one or two of my FA pickups to be too much like Seymour AND Joesph, but that's it. Hasselbeck will not command as much as McNabb, IMO. Can sign him to a two year deal. One year deal for Seymour and a long term deal for Joesph and Nnamdi. Goocong will compete for the starting position against Brooks, IMO.

We don't have to break the bank with Hasselbeck, Goocong and Joesph. I think the higher priced contracts will be of course Nnamdi and then Soliai, I think. Seymour's contract can be incentive based as well leading to make his contract palatable.

I hear what you guys are saying, but we got to grab FA and draft players. Six player can be acquired, four is more reasonable. However, I believe that we can certainly grab a CB, LDE, pass rusher, WCO QB, and/or a RG. All of them, Tico? At the same time?

Yea, it's like that in my head.

If you guys could give me some more specifics, I would appreciated it. Again, it's a mock. It's early and as always, these things become more realistic as FA and the draft approaches.

Thanks for the comments though.
There are 31 other teams in the league. If we offer Seymour a 1 year deal (as you suggest), i can think of a few who would offer more for his services. Literally every team is gonna want Asomugha. We haven't spent much in free agency the last 2 years. Maybe we splash out this year, i hope we do for sure.
Also I understand your reasoning for trading Gore, but I don't think it's a good idea. Our offense isn't good and we would be trading away our best offensive player?
Not nearly enough money in the bank to get all those free agents. Soliai is going to cost a team a LOT of money, as is Asomugha. Way too many free agent gets in one year.

Free agent movement is going to be very challenging due to the CBA. More than likely, we will not see a lot of movement this offseason, unless the deal gets done early in the spring, which I doubt.

If the CBA goes until the middle of the summer, teams will be hesitant to make big moves and drastically alter their rosters. They will need continuity to even be competitive.
Thanks guys! Needed more concrete FA analysis so I can learn so I don't make these kind of crazy acquisitions. If that is the case and Nnamdi truly will command over 8mil a year, then I would remove him draft Peterson/Amukamara like MD suggested....hmm...

I see what you guys did here. Seriously though, thanks.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Thanks guys! Needed more concrete FA analysis so I can learn so I don't make these kind of crazy acquisitions. If that is the case and Nnamdi truly will command over 8mil a year, then I would remove him draft Peterson/Amukamara like MD suggested....hmm...

8 mil a year for a CB is not high. Trufant, Newman, and Samuel are all just under 10 mil a year. He made 15 mil a year in 08 and 09.
But hes still not coming here. Assumption or not. if he 'wanted to stay in the bay area', he could just sign another deal with Al Davis and be overpaid again. He will be able to choose which team he wants.
[ Edited by jojomellon on Jan 13, 2011 at 11:54 AM ]
Originally posted by jojomellon:

8 mil a year for a CB is not high. Trufant, Newman, and Samuel are all just under 10 mil a year. He made 15 mil a year in 08 and 09.
But hes still not coming here. Assumption or not. if he 'wanted to stay in the bay area', he could just sign another deal with Al Davis and be overpaid again. He will be able to choose which team he wants.

We'd have to be aggressive making other moves for Nnamdi to come here. If we are willing to pay him, he will recognize we play in a s**tty division and have a nice structure in place.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

We'd have to be aggressive making other moves for Nnamdi to come here. If we are willing to pay him, he will recognize we play in a s**tty division and have a nice structure in place.
except, every team in the NFL will play him and 24 teams, according to 2010 record, have a better structure in place. I dont see it happening. When you're that good, and have been on such a bad team for so long, why wouldnt you want to play for a proven winner?
I hate it and forbid you from mocking ever again.

No, I'm kidding, it's not bad at all. Although, Crick announced he's staying in school, but the rest is fine.
Sorry there is a flaw, the CBA expires in March and you can't trade or sign anyone according to whats been written about having no CBA in place. You can only trade draft picks for draft picks. So gore can't be traded, not do i want him to be unless you bucking for the niners pimp themselves to get the number one pick next year.

except, every team in the NFL will play him and 24 teams, according to 2010 record, hada better structure in place. I dont see it happening. When you're that good, and have been on such a bad team for so long, why wouldnt you want to play for a proven winner?

fixed.

We have the luxury of being in the worst division, he wouldn't have to move and we have hella money to spend. Not saying we are a lock to get him by any means but I think we have a shot.

except, every team in the NFL will play him and 24 teams, according to 2010 record, hada better structure in place. I dont see it happening. When you're that good, and have been on such a bad team for so long, why wouldnt you want to play for a proven winner?

fixed.

We have the luxury of being in the worst division, he wouldn't have to move and we have hella money to spend. Not saying we are a lock to get him by any means but I think we have a shot.

What does being in the worst division have to do with anything? And every team has money to spend. You're understating his options. And its not frontier times anymore, playing in the same location doesn't have any baring on where a guy plays, there's these things called airplanes. I'd bet my life on nnamdi signing with a playoff team.