There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Draft for next year? Filling gaps now

Should the Niners ignore QB in rds 1-3 to upgrade their team? They could then mortgage most of their draft next year (and future draft picks) to move up to nab a franchise QB in 2012.

The 49ers have lots of major holes on this team. In no particular order they need:

QB, CB, LT (depth), OLB or DE (3-4 vs 4-3), WR, FS, Dline (youth), RG (maybe), etc, etc.

They can alleviate some of those needs in FA, depending on the CBA, strike, York's willingness to spend $$$. The Niners obviously have a lot of nice pieces right now, and if they add some veteran players, they have an excellent shot at finally winning the NFC West.

But if they are hoping to draft a franchise QB, they are going to miss out on some BPA options that will fill some big needs. Drafting someone like Mallet or Newton means they pass on a true #1 CB, DE, or OLB. Solidifying the team and adding a veteran QB seams like a better way to win play-off games in the future.

Obviously they should still take a shot at a QB sometime later in the draft, but focus on BPA/need options instead of putting a rookie QB in a position to fail (see Alex Smith).
Safety is not a concern.

I think that we address CB and QB this offseason -- one through the draft and one through free agency.

If we are able to sign Nnamdi and draft Gabbert or Locker in the draft, we can take a pass-rusher in the 2nd round.

We then draft for depth in the 3rd and 4th rounds...then address the D-line in 2012.

We could also (1) sign Nnamdi, (2) draft Marcel Dareus in the 1st, (3) take a pass-rusher in the 2nd, and (4) draft Ponder or Stanzi in the 3rd...that would be an ideal offseason. However, I don't think Ponder or Stanzi are going to be there in the 2nd round...we would have to grab Ponder at #45 and get a pass-rusher in the 3rd round.

If we can't sign Nnamdi, drafting Locker or Gabbert in the 1st and CB Jimmy Smith in the 2nd round would make for a very good day. I would then cross my fingers and hope Jared Crick or one of the 3-4 OLBs fall to us in the 3rd round.
Originally posted by Butter:
Should the Niners ignore QB in rds 1-3 to upgrade their team? They could then mortgage most of their draft next year (and future draft picks) to move up to nab a franchise QB in 2012.

The 49ers have lots of major holes on this team. In no particular order they need:

QB, CB, LT (depth), OLB or DE (3-4 vs 4-3), WR, FS, Dline (youth), RG (maybe), etc, etc.

They can alleviate some of those needs in FA, depending on the CBA, strike, York's willingness to spend $$$. The Niners obviously have a lot of nice pieces right now, and if they add some veteran players, they have an excellent shot at finally winning the NFC West.

But if they are hoping to draft a franchise QB, they are going to miss out on some BPA options that will fill some big needs. Drafting someone like Mallet or Newton means they pass on a true #1 CB, DE, or OLB. Solidifying the team and adding a veteran QB seams like a better way to win play-off games in the future.

Obviously they should still take a shot at a QB sometime later in the draft, but focus on BPA/need options instead of putting a rookie QB in a position to fail (see Alex Smith).

i would just like to thank you for posting about 2012 and not mentioning luck....i was almost certain that was going to happen yet again
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
Originally posted by Butter:

i would just like to thank you for posting about 2012 and not mentioning luck....i was almost certain that was going to happen yet again

This
They need to play the hand they've got this year and let next year take care of itself. Trading partners are not guaranteed no matter how we position ourselves.
They need to play the hand they've got this year and let next year take care of itself. Trading partners are not guaranteed no matter how we position ourselves.