There are 186 users in the forums

The Top Tier of this draft is 7-Deep

Originally posted by ishkabibel:
According to AB83 latest top 100, Adrian Clayburn could be included in the top 7 mix as well.

I saw that and strongly disagree. He regressed this season and was non-existent in the 2 Iowa games I saw this year. Not very explosive off the edge and he looks to me like a reliable starter as a 3-4 DE, but not much more than that.

"adrian clayborn overrated" brings up a lot of google hits.
yeah Nick Fairley will be gone in the top 3
cannot wait! for the Harbaugh-led draft this year!!!
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Ghost I get you but using that logic we should go get Vince Young....

Not necessarily. Though VY has gotten better over time (and was having his best season overall), he's proven to be slightly unstable as a person. If that wasn't the case, I'd say VY would be a viable option....because he's a head case, I wouldn't touch him.
I think the top of the draft is 8 deep as you have to include Gabbert in the mix.

My guess is the Niners pick will come down to Quinn, Amukamura, or Gabbert when its all said and done. I believe that if Arizona passes on Gabbert that he will be the choice on draft day. The size, arm strength, and upside will be too much to pass up and he will be less of a project than Cam Newton.
Originally posted by wadjay:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
^^ Just saying, people are writing off Cam because of style points in one game (that his team won), and I'm just pointing out how silly that is. No team/scout is going to ding a guy for that. They'll take in all the factors, and see how he performs when he doesn't have his "A" game, then they'll look at ALL the film on the kid for the entire season, plus his year in JC and his years in Florida (not to mention any practice tape that exists).

Whatever his final draft grade is, it will not be boiled down to this one game, regardless of how good/bad he played.

Agree

Respectfully disagree.

You are absolutely correct in so far as you're saying that Cam shouldn't be written off based on the results of one game.

What I disagree with is the idea that you seem to suggest that it doesn't matter how he played because he won the game. Cam didn't win the game - Auburn did. If there were to be any single player who should be credited with making that win happen, it would be Nick Fairley - not Cam Newton.

Cam simply didn't look very good in the game. He made poor passes, bad reads and (most surprisingly to me) was largely ineffective as a runner. Without making an impact as a runner, Cam's impact on the game was GREATLY diminished. Seeing that effect in the game, I think it's fair to ask what level of impact he'd have in the NFL right now.

I will fully admit to having only seen 3 games in which Cam has played, so my opinion is most certainly not the most informed - but as an NFL passer, he seems like a project at this point. His athleticism is undeniable, and some coach may be able to mold that into something great - but I don't think he's anywhere near being ready to play at the NFL level yet. And in my mind, the national championship game just reinforced that.

I'm not saying "it doesn't matter" that Cam played poorly so long as he won the game. I'm saying, he didn't play as poorly as people are making it seem. Like I said, he didn't play great, and he wasn't sharp, but it's not like he was a useless bum either. I think people are getting carried away because he wasn't his usual Superman-self.

People are forgetting his laser to Burns for the first score, or the nice floater to Blake for the go ahead TD, or the key 4th quarter run to pick up a first down. The guy is a playmaker...even when he's not sharp, he can still gash good teams with big plays (Oregon was a top 15 defense in both yards allowed and points scored). My sense is, if he hadn't tweaked his back, we would've seen a little more flash from him in the game winning drive, but we'll never know.

Put it this way, if he played last night on that stage, like he did against South Carolina in the SEC Championship game, people would be calling him the next coming of Big Ben, and elevating him to #1 overall status. And that would be incorrect too, btw. You just don't evaluate players based on one game, either way.
I love the fact that our HC probably knows as much, if not more, about the QB's in the draft this year than scouts do. We could end up with the QB steal in the draft because of his ability to spot talent.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Ghost I get you but using that logic we should go get Vince Young....

Not necessarily. Though VY has gotten better over time (and was having his best season overall), he's proven to be slightly unstable as a person. If that wasn't the case, I'd say VY would be a viable option....because he's a head case, I wouldn't touch him.

I agree and a better choice of words by you than me.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I love the fact that our HC probably knows as much, if not more, about the QB's in the draft this year than scouts do. We could end up with the QB steal in the draft because of his ability to spot talent.

Exactly...sort of like Walsh grabbing Joe in the 3rd round.

this

Plus Harbaugh was quoted as saying that he could find a QB in this draft and it wouldnt have to be with the 7th pick

• dj43
I have been all over the board on the QB deal. Initially I was all on board with drafting a QB with the first pick until I really starting looking at talent levels and how pro ready they might be. Now I don't see a legit top 20 value in the draft. They all have more flaws than you want in a pick you hope may start at least at the beginning of the second year.

For now, I would go BPA with the 1st pick (emphasis on pass rush) and look for a QB in the second round or later. Even then, the lack of any real stars will move all teams to reach for a QB where ever they pick him.
Originally posted by valrod33:

this

Plus Harbaugh was quoted as saying that he could find a QB in this draft and it wouldnt have to be with the 7th pick

That would be great. However, if Harbaugh thinks enough of Gabbert to select him at #7 then I would trust his instincts and judgement and be fine with it.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dj43:
I have been all over the board on the QB deal. Initially I was all on board with drafting a QB with the first pick until I really starting looking at talent levels and how pro ready they might be. Now I don't see a legit top 20 value in the draft. They all have more flaws than you want in a pick you hope may start at least at the beginning of the second year.

For now, I would go BPA with the 1st pick (emphasis on pass rush) and look for a QB in the second round or later. Even then, the lack of any real stars will move all teams to reach for a QB where ever they pick him.

I agree with you dj, and for your exact reason is why I hope we pick up two QB's in this draft, one early and one late. I've backed off from the idea of taking Mallet or Gabbert with the 1st pick.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think the top of the draft is 8 deep as you have to include Gabbert in the mix.

My guess is the Niners pick will come down to Quinn, Amukamura, or Gabbert when its all said and done. I believe that if Arizona passes on Gabbert that he will be the choice on draft day. The size, arm strength, and upside will be too much to pass up and he will be less of a project than Cam Newton.

I know I said that I've become a fan of all the 1st round projected QBs, but I've fallen off the Gabbert bandwagon. My co-worker in Ohio said they got to watch a lot of Missouri games and that apparently, Gabbert has shown to be lazy, not committed and didn't take training seriously. He also brought up the fact that Chase Daniel put up much better numbers despite being smaller than Gabbert.

If Prince or Peterson happen to be off the board and Harbaugh wanted to select a QB in the 1st, I hope he chooses Locker. If we end up getting lucky and Prince/Peterson somehow is available, Stanzi in the 3rd would be perfect.

Exactly...sort of like Walsh grabbing Joe in the 3rd round.

Share 49ersWebzone