LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

The Top Tier of this draft is 7-Deep

Thankfully for us, the top tier of this draft is seven-deep with Luck's return to Stanford...we pick 7th!

It is very difficult to put any non-quarterback in front of these (2) CBs, (2) DTs, (2) DEs, and (1) WR...Julio Jones could make a push for Cleveland at #6, but if they're going to do that they might as well just trade down for Blackmon or something like that.

But with the difference between winning and losing in this league primarily coming down to the signal-caller, any team that gets a 'warm and fuzzy' from a quarterback will probably pull the trigger. That includes us, Arizona, and Buffalo, although I think Arizona will pursue a veteran instead and Buffalo won't draft a quarterback until Chan Gailey is fired after next season.

Jim Harbaugh will be running the West Coast offense, so Mallet's out. Locker is a perfect fit for the WCO, but Gabbert was supposed to run Bill Calahan's West Coast Offense at Nebraska as a 5-star recruit...transferred when he was fired; so he must have the makeup for the WCO (mobility is decent, not great). On Locker, if Harbaugh passes on him -- a guy who he has a ton of tape on and has played him multiple times -- Locker could drop like a stone.

If we don't feel VERY strong about either Locker or Gabbert, we have to take whoever left out of the Elite Seven....probably Amukamura or Dareus will be left.

My prediction is that Harbaugh signs off on Locker as 'the guy' and we take him. Another possibiltiy is that Harbaugh gives Christian Ponder or Ricky Stanzi a first-round grade and we take them in the second round; Harbaugh was spot-on with some draft grades while in Oakland (gave Romo a high grade, even though he went undrafted, for example)...in that scenario we take Amukamura or Dareus and call it a night. I highly doubt that we try and get crafty and trade down in hopes of snagging Locker at 15 - 20.

1. AJ Green
2. Nick Fairley
3. Patrick Peterson
4. Da-Quan Bowers
5. Marcell Dareus
6. Prince Amukamura
7. Robert Quinn
[ Edited by nickbradley on Jan 11, 2011 at 11:27 PM ]
I'd also like to add that Nick Fairley put himself in the running for #1 pick with his Suh-esque performance Monday night. The hype machine will be in full effect shortly...
[ Edited by nickbradley on Jan 11, 2011 at 11:26 PM ]
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Thankfully for us, the top tier of this draft is seven-deep with Luck's return to Stanford...we pick 7th!

It is very difficult to put any non-quarterback in front of these (2) CBs, (2) DTs, (2) DEs, and (1) WR...Julio Jones could make a push for Cleveland at #6, but if they're going to do that they might as well just trade down for Blackmon or something like that.

But with the difference between winning and losing in this league primarily coming down to the signal-caller, any team that gets a 'warm and fuzzy' from a quarterback will probably pull the trigger. That includes us, Arizona, and Buffalo, although I think Arizona will pursue a veteran instead and Buffalo won't draft a quarterback until Chan Gailey is fired after next season.

For example, Jim Harbaugh will be running the West Coast offense, so Mallet's out. Locker is a perfect fit for the WCO, but Gabbert was supposed to run Bill Calahan's West Coast Offense at Nebraska as a 5-star recruit...transferred when he was fired; so he must have the makeup for the WCO (mobility is decent, not great). On Locker, if Harbaugh passes on him -- a guy who he has a ton of tape on and has played him multiple times -- Locker could drop like a stone.

If we don't feel VERY strong about either Locker or Gabbert, we have to take whoever left out of the Elite Seven....probably Amukamura or Dareus will be left.

My prediction is that Harbaugh signs off on Locker as 'the guy' and we take him. Another possibiltiy is that Harbaugh gives Christian Ponder or Ricky Stanzi a first-round grade and we take them in the second round; Harbaugh was spot-on with some draft grades while in Oakland (gave Romo a high grade, even though he went undrafted, for example)...in that scenario we take Amukamura or Dareus and call it a night. I highly doubt that we try and get crafty and trade down in hopes of snagging Locker at 15 - 20.

1. AJ Green
2. Nick Fairley
3. Patrick Peterson
4. Da-Quan Bowers
5. Marcell Dareus
6. Prince Amukamura
7. Robert Quinn

I absolutely agree. I have always thought that it would come down to Darius, Quinn or Amukamara. Now, however, I believe that QBs could dictate the top 10 more than ever. You could see at least one in Gabbert, but Newton and Mallett could jump in. Now add Locker, wow.

Still, I love our chances to land a great player. We won't be picking top ten for a long time so we better get it right.
Originally posted by ninertico:

For example, Jim Harbaugh will be running the West Coast offense, so Mallet's out. Locker is a perfect fit for the WCO, but Gabbert was supposed to run Bill Calahan's West Coast Offense at Nebraska as a 5-star recruit...transferred when he was fired; so he must have the makeup for the WCO (mobility is decent, not great). On Locker, if Harbaugh passes on him -- a guy who he has a ton of tape on and has played him multiple times -- Locker could drop like a stone.

1. AJ Green
2. Nick Fairley
3. Patrick Peterson
4. Da-Quan Bowers
5. Marcell Dareus
6. Prince Amukamura
7. Robert Quinn

I absolutely agree. I have always thought that it would come down to Darius, Quinn or Amukamara. Now, however, I believe that QBs could dictate the top 10 more than ever. You could see at least one in Gabbert, but Newton and Mallett could jump in. Now add Locker, wow.

Still, I love our chances to land a great player. We won't be picking top ten for a long time so we better get it right.

The fact that we're picking 7th with 7 elite non-quarterbacks really helps. I don't think Newton is a 1st round QB after Monday night.

Harbaugh is going to try and find value in the second or third round with Ponder, Stanzi, and Devlin...but will take Locker if he checks out, IMHO.

1. AJ Green
2. Nick Fairley
3. Patrick Peterson
4. Da-Quan Bowers
5. Marcell Dareus
6. Prince Amukamura
7. Robert Quinn

The fact that we're picking 7th with 7 elite non-quarterbacks really helps. I don't think Newton is a 1st round QB after Monday night. Harbaugh is going to try and find value in the second or third round with Ponder, Stanzi, and Devlin...but will take Locker if he checks out, IMHO.

Isn't the object of football to win, and even more to the point, win championships? That's exactly what Cam did last night (and last season in junior college too for that matter)...in fact, that's what he's done all season in the toughest conference in college football. He's found ways to win, either through the air, with his feet or simply as the leader of his team. The kid is a winner, flat out. He had a target on his back all night, and looked a little rusty after 5 weeks off, but he still managed to make clutch plays and win the game (as he's done all year long).

Was he perfect? No. Was he even sharp? Not at all. But did he find a way to lead his team to an undefeated season and win a championship? Yes, and THAT is the most you can ask of your QB. Thankfully, there are no style points in football...just wins and losses.

I'm not saying we should pick Cam or that he's worthy of a top 10 pick, but to say that after last night his stock somehow dropped, completely dismisses the great things this kid has done the entire season, and ignores the fact that he accomplished what every other QB who plays the game, shoots for.

To expect a guy to win it all AND to be near perfect in doing it is insane. That's way to high of a bar for anyone to realistically meet.

Food for thought; Andrew Luck's stats against Oregon compared to Cameron Newton's (and Oregon had 5 weeks to prepare for Newton):

Andrew Luck:
29/46, 349 yards, 2 TD passes, 2 Int, 131 rating, 38 rushing, 1 TD - Lost 52-31

Cameron Newton:
20/34, 265 yards, 2 TD passes, 1 Int, 137 rating, 64 rushing - Won 22-19

Just sayin....
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 12, 2011 at 12:29 AM ]
I think it all depends how Locker does during senior bowl week. He was stuck with inferior talent on his team compared to his opponents. His teammates would drop numerous balls or could not get open. At the senior bowl, he will at least have comparable players on his team. If he looks good, then he could be the pick.
Originally posted by asu49ers:
I think it all depends how Locker does during senior bowl week. He was stuck with inferior talent on his team compared to his opponents. His teammates would drop numerous balls or could not get open. At the senior bowl, he will at least have comparable players on his team. If he looks good, then he could be the pick.

He had absolutely terrible talent around him.

Jim Harbaugh will be running the West Coast offense, so Mallet's out. Locker is a perfect fit for the WCO, but Gabbert was supposed to run Bill Calahan's West Coast Offense at Nebraska as a 5-star recruit...transferred when he was fired; so he must have the makeup for the WCO (mobility is decent, not great). On Locker, if Harbaugh passes on him -- a guy who he has a ton of tape on and has played him multiple times -- Locker could drop like a stone.

1. AJ Green
2. Nick Fairley
3. Patrick Peterson
4. Da-Quan Bowers
5. Marcell Dareus
6. Prince Amukamura
7. Robert Quinn

Right on dude, I like Stanzi in the 2nd or 3rd. Would love to get 2 of these guys with our first 2 picks. Robert Quinn, Von Miller, Prince Amukamura, Jimmy Smith

1. AJ Green
2. Nick Fairley
3. Patrick Peterson
4. Da-Quan Bowers
5. Marcell Dareus
6. Prince Amukamura
7. Robert Quinn

• mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

1. AJ Green
2. Nick Fairley
3. Patrick Peterson
4. Da-Quan Bowers
5. Marcell Dareus
6. Prince Amukamura
7. Robert Quinn

The fact that we're picking 7th with 7 elite non-quarterbacks really helps. I don't think Newton is a 1st round QB after Monday night. Harbaugh is going to try and find value in the second or third round with Ponder, Stanzi, and Devlin...but will take Locker if he checks out, IMHO.

Food for thought; Andrew Luck's stats against Oregon compared to Cameron Newton's (and Oregon had 5 weeks to prepare for Newton):

Andrew Luck:

Cameron Newton:

Just sayin....

Cam Newton had 5 weeks to prepare for oregon

Originally posted by modninerfan:

1. AJ Green
2. Nick Fairley
3. Patrick Peterson
4. Da-Quan Bowers
5. Marcell Dareus
6. Prince Amukamura
7. Robert Quinn

Andrew Luck:

Cameron Newton:

Just sayin....

And he won. Your point is?

1. AJ Green
2. Nick Fairley
3. Patrick Peterson
4. Da-Quan Bowers
5. Marcell Dareus
6. Prince Amukamura
7. Robert Quinn

Andrew Luck:

Cameron Newton:

Just sayin....

To be fair Auburn has awesome talent. Last time I checked I don't see a Fairley on Stanford. It's not the same talent level at all. And Stanford was on the road vs. Oregon. Not a neutral field.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

1. AJ Green
2. Nick Fairley
3. Patrick Peterson
4. Da-Quan Bowers
5. Marcell Dareus
6. Prince Amukamura
7. Robert Quinn

Andrew Luck:

Cameron Newton:

Just sayin....

To be fair Auburn has awesome talent. Last time I checked I don't see a Fairley on Stanford. It's not the same talent level at all. And Stanford was on the road vs. Oregon. Not a neutral field.

Stanford_excuses.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

1. AJ Green
2. Nick Fairley
3. Patrick Peterson
4. Da-Quan Bowers
5. Marcell Dareus
6. Prince Amukamura
7. Robert Quinn

Andrew Luck:

Cameron Newton:

Just sayin....

Stanford_excuses.

LOL... Newton is good at the college level. But you got to admit the Auburn talent level is better than Stanford. Stanford was mostly Harbaugh + Luck. Great HC + Great QB. Auburn has talent all over. Including awesome talent on the D. Line.
^^ Just saying, people are writing off Cam because of style points in one game (that his team won), and I'm just pointing out how silly that is. No team/scout is going to ding a guy for that. They'll take in all the factors, and see how he performs when he doesn't have his "A" game, then they'll look at ALL the film on the kid for the entire season, plus his year in JC and his years in Florida (not to mention any practice tape that exists).

Whatever his final draft grade is, it will not be boiled down to this one game, regardless of how good/bad he played.
Share 49ersWebzone