LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Could we have four QBs in the top 10?

I just see a Sanchez-type, not dirty, move on the part of either Wash, Tenn, Min and Sea, maybe Mia. I certainly can see Shanny and Minny vying for position for "their" QB. I am not saying the QB run starts with Buf or AZ. But I believe that most are afraid that we're going to be targeting one of the QBs. Therefore, the jump ahead of us for the win.

At least I hope that happens. If not, we could land that future franchise QB. Gabbert, Newton in the top 10 or trade down to land Locker especially if each of these candidates for QB sits for awhile and learns. Again, I just don't see it. I see Baalke and Harbaugh agreeing on a defensive player at #7, BPA.

The only one of the QBs I can see is Gabbert because of Harbaugh's familiarity with him during his recruiting at Stanford. I believe it's the same time as when he recruited Luck. To be honest, I bet Harbaugh already as his "A" list of QB draftees.

That's why I feel real good about this draft. So many ways to go and the bigger possibility to trade back and add more higher round picks e.g. 2nds or 3rds, just like OTC mentioned in one of the threads.

Still, a franchise QB trumps all as Mayock would say. I agree.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Honestly, I don't think either Newton or Locker or Mallett or Gabbert are can't miss QB prospects and I don't think any of them are 1st round prospects compared to other players. Maybe Mallett or Gabbert. I would say Gabbert has the best tools out of all of them to be a franchise QB for someone but he reminds me of Jay Cutler to be honest. If all 4 of them are picked in the top 10 I'd be shocked. Locker had problems with making decisions and accuracy, Newton has problems with accuracy and decision making and he only has 1 read a lot of the time, Mallett has problems movin his feet and tries too hard to fit the ball into windows that arent really there, and Gabbert is inexperienced plus his decision making was questionable in that bowl game. But he is atleast a pocket passer with a good arm, some mobility, pretty accurate, and he's got good height.

If we pick anyone I'd hope it'd be Gabbert, but I don't know if he'll be there. Plus guys like Amukamara, Peterson, Green, Fairley, Dareus, etc. are most likely all locks to atleast be good. One of these QBs could bust pretty easily and you could waste 3-4 years trying to get them to play well.

I understand that, but draft history dictates otherwise. Man, look at Sanchez as an example in a three QB first round with Stafford, Sanchez and Freeman in 2009. I see this year to be the same except with four players. Given where the real QB needy team slot, I really CAN see all four in the top ten with trades to move up by Minny, Wash and Tenn.

Anyway, I see at least two in the top seven, maybe three. The fact is I hope it happens because our D will benefit.

It would be nice if other teams took those guys but I don't know if it'll happen. I'm guessing atleast 1 QB will be taken in the top 5, probably Gabbert or Mallett. From what I've heard though there'll likely be a run on the DLineman in the first few picks, Fairley, Bowers, Dareus, etc. I would like to see us get Amukamara, Peterson, or Robert Quinn. I would be pretty happy with Gabbert if we took a QB. I'm pretty sure Harbaugh won't be taking Locker or Mallett and I don't think Newton is that good of a QB to take him at #7, that'd be a horrendous reach.

Harbaugh might like Locker quite a bit. He's nimble, and he's a threat rolling out.

I could see Harbaugh coaching up Locker.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
"Need" will always push the top-tier QBs up in the draft, even if they're not deserving. They're just so critical to the success/failure of your team, that organizations are often willing to take chances on guys that have the raw talent but aren't quite the complete package yet.

The key is having the right people around that young QB, to make sure he develops properly. This doesn't always ensure success, but it sure as hell helps.

We have the right "QB Developer" now. Dingleberry or NoWin would absolutely ruin any of those guys. I belive Harbaugh can get the most out of whoever we pick. It's not a guarantee. But our chances of success in that category have risen considerably.

Ive been saying this in a couple of other threads...the need for a franchise QB trumps all other needs....there will be qbs who will be drafted way ahead of where they are ranked. Because QBs are the most important position, and reaching for one important.

Agree with SD. Harbaugh will get the most out of any QB that he picks. We will get a QB at #7. Like it or not....and SD if its Locker, then it is Locker...Harbaugh knows more than me on this.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
"Need" will always push the top-tier QBs up in the draft, even if they're not deserving. They're just so critical to the success/failure of your team, that organizations are often willing to take chances on guys that have the raw talent but aren't quite the complete package yet.

The key is having the right people around that young QB, to make sure he develops properly. This doesn't always ensure success, but it sure as hell helps.

We have the right "QB Developer" now. Dingleberry or NoWin would absolutely ruin any of those guys. I belive Harbaugh can get the most out of whoever we pick. It's not a guarantee. But our chances of success in that category have risen considerably.

Ive been saying this in a couple of other threads...the need for a franchise QB trumps all other needs....there will be qbs who will be drafted way ahead of where they are ranked. Because QBs are the most important position, and reaching for one important.

Agree with SD. Harbaugh will get the most out of any QB that he picks. We will get a QB at #7. Like it or not....and SD if its Locker, then it is Locker...Harbaugh knows more than me on this.

Locker will be the guy unless Harbaugh is convinced Ponder, Stanzi, or Devlin are first-round material and is confident that they will be there at #45.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Locker will be the guy unless Harbaugh is convinced Ponder, Stanzi, or Devlin are first-round material and is confident that they will be there at #45.

We shall soon see
[ Edited by ninerlifer on Jan 12, 2011 at 1:52 PM ]

We shall soon see

I'm glad we finally have a coach with a proven track record of successfully evaluating quarterbacks, coaching them up, and getting the best out of them.

Locker has the highest ceiling by far in this draft...I don't think anyone debates that (probably a higher ceiling than Luck, but that's another debate). So if a Harbaugh or a Shanahan (in Washington) feel they can coach Locker up, they are going to pull the trigger.
This will be the first time in a very long time that I have confidence that our QB selection will be a very productive one. I have nothing specific to go on but I feel Harbaugh already has his sights on someone other than the top 4. Can't wait to find out.

We shall soon see

I'm glad we finally have a coach with a proven track record of successfully evaluating quarterbacks, coaching them up, and getting the best out of them.

Locker has the highest ceiling by far in this draft...I don't think anyone debates that (probably a higher ceiling than Luck, but that's another debate). So if a Harbaugh or a Shanahan (in Washington) feel they can coach Locker up, they are going to pull the trigger.

I agree....not just Locker though. Any of the top tier QBs. If Harbaugh thinks he can coach them up....we will take one at 7.

We shall soon see

If Harbaugh wants to select a QB, I agree with you guys that it should be Locker. I think Locker's skillset fits the West Coast offense very well.

We shall soon see

I agree....not just Locker though. Any of the top tier QBs. If Harbaugh thinks he can coach them up....we will take one at 7.

Locker just needs coaching.

We shall soon see

lol, so does every player that comes out of college to the NFL.
  • dj43

We shall soon see

That's what they said about Alex Smith as well.
Originally posted by dj43:

We shall soon see

And he got Mike Nolan, Mike Singletary, and SEVEN different offensive coordinators.

The Yorks wrote the book on how to destroy a young quarterback -- I don't think Harbaugh would repeat those mistakes...
Originally posted by dj43:

We shall soon see

Did he have the right coaching?... Was it NoWin and Dingleberry on the squad?

I don't believe I saw anybody with the name Harbaugh on the club...
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jan 12, 2011 at 2:24 PM ]
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

I tell you what...I have not had this much confidence in a HC acquiring a kick ass QB since Walsh.

It's one hell of a hot dayum feeling. Harbaugh may or may not bomb out in the NFL, but I got a feelin' he isn't going to bomb on the QB problem. He WILL get that fixed in a big way, IMHO.
Share 49ersWebzone