There are 236 users in the forums

Draft strategy/ Stockpiling picks for 2012

Im only bringing this up because I think its a valid option.

Any chance Niners will trade down in the early rounds this year (Particularly the 1st round) and stockpile 2012 draft picks with the chance of trading up to get Andrew Luck in 2012?

If they move from #7 to #18 thru #25 they could pickup an extra 1st for next year. With multiple 1st rounders they will be able to maneuver in 2012.

Feedback is appreciated.
[ Edited by genz22 on Jan 11, 2011 at 5:13 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

seconded....everything would have been fine with your arguement until you mentioned going after luck in 2012. can we atleast wait until next offseason to start up all this stuff again
The problem is who worth trading for at that 7 range. Unless someone like Patrick Petersen or Nick Fairley falls, I don't see anyone trading with us. I was thinking if no one has picked a QB at the previous 6 spots maybe one of those teams would trade with us but the only team at that 18-25 range that is not set at QB is Seattle. In this case, I can not see us entertaining a trade with a divisional opponent.

And say we do trade that 7 pick for an 18-25 pick. Who would we pick up? Petersen and Prince will be gone. More than likely 2-3 qbs will be off the board. Do we pick up Janoris Jenkins or Brandon Harris. Ehh I'd pass
Originally posted by asu49ers:
The problem is who worth trading for at that 7 range. Unless someone like Patrick Petersen or Nick Fairley falls, I don't see anyone trading with us. I was thinking if no one has picked a QB at the previous 6 spots maybe one of those teams would trade with us but the only team at that 18-25 range that is not set at QB is Seattle. In this case, I can not see us entertaining a trade with a divisional opponent.

And say we do trade that 7 pick for an 18-25 pick. Who would we pick up? Petersen and Prince will be gone. More than likely 2-3 qbs will be off the board. Do we pick up Janoris Jenkins or Brandon Harris. Ehh I'd pass

Trading back isn't such a terrible idea. When we look at this team, there are several glaring weaknesses at QB, WR, OLB (from a pass rushing standpoint), and DB.

Julio Jones, Prince Anukamara, all of the QBs (with the exception of Gabbert, maybe), and Robert Quinn will be available.

The position most likely to have the most immediate impact and fills out greatest need (outside of the QB position of course) is OLB. I think the one constant you see on most great/elite defenses is the ability to pressure the QB. I would love to have pick up a corner like Peterson or Prince, but those are not necessary components to get a top-5 defense (how great did the Falcons defense look with Deoin Sanders or the Broncos with Champ Bailey?). A pass rusher is. So right now the choice is between picking up a great individual player that will probably do well vs. picking up a great player that can transform our defense. Either we go for Robert Quinn with our #7 pick or trade down on account of it being too early to go after some of the other talents that will be available.

Hopefully there is a QB or CB hungry team that would be willing to move up to that spot.

Of all of our need positions, because of who we have as a HC and the caliber of his coaching ability, we probably don't need to draft a QB in the first round, which is a great thing for us because it allows us to go after a player in the first round that can contribute immediately as a starter in 2011.

What does everyone this is the drop off between Robert Quinn, Von Miller, and the rest of the 1st to 3rd round DE/OLB? Same goes for the receivers that will be available in those rounds. If the drop off is worth the talent we could potentially pick up with the extra picks (Brandon Harris, Delvin, Stanzi, Dalton, Hankerson, Ponder, etc could all be sitting there in the 2nd or 3rd rounds), we should make a move that would allow us to pick up extra picks so we can grab more of those guys.
I'd love it if it would work out but I'll tell you why it won't

Even if we have two 1st round picks to trade next year, it won't make a difference. The top team drafting will take Luck no matter how many players/picks a team can throw at them. Franchise qb's are so rare that you CANNOT pass one up. Multiple 1st round picks are great and help but nowhere near as much as a potential all-pro qb.
Originally posted by rk1642:

Even if we have two 1st round picks to trade next year, it won't make a difference. The top team drafting will take Luck no matter how many players/picks a team can throw at them. Franchise qb's are so rare that you CANNOT pass one up. Multiple 1st round picks are great and help but nowhere near as much as a potential all-pro qb.

you are stating a good argument for following the strategy...because of the value of getting a franchise qb it is worth the risk...

if you dont get luck you may get a matt barkley or a landry jones...

you can try to obtain picks from teams that you project might picking high in 2012..for example, carolina, tennessee, arizona and washington are teams i think that will be there...and if you can only get picks from team picking higher in the draft you still have ammunition to try to make a deal...what if a team like buffalo takes cam newton, and goes winless in 2011...they might trade luck's rights if they like newton

the synergy of luck reuniting with harbaugh would be something you can build on for 10 years

for those who offer the brillant argument "make it stop" you would have probably posted something like that to a post proposing the niners trade for steve young, if they had the internet in th 1980s...bill walsh signed
hurdlers (nehmiah), track & field guys (stover), he traded up for jerry rice....jets went up for sanchez and it has worked for them

luck is the closest thing to a sure thing...go for a dalton or ponder and you may have shaun hill...go for a locker and you may have s;ex s,ith...go for a mcnabb abd you may have steve mcnair...go for kolb, not for the price reid will want--he has 11td and 14 int career wise

there are alot of arguments against the strategy of stockpiling picks, but it isnt a thought that should be dismissed without consideration
Too many needs, I can't see harbaugh not getting at least 1 QB and 2 in FA. Carr will not be on this roster next year and there is a slim chance T. Smith will be.

Luck is a pipedream. Unless he pulls a Elway and Eli, the Luck train has sailed.

We also need a CB or 2, a pass rush OLB, a RG, a QB, a SS or FS, and a back up RB and FB, oh and a kicker.

We are inline to get a top flight CB in either Prince or Peterson, unless both are gone, we should stand pat.
Originally posted by j3xperience:

Luck is a pipedream. Unless he pulls a Elway and Eli, the Luck train has sailed.

...or turns into the 2011 version of Jake Locker. After all, Jake Locker himself turned into the 2010 version of Jake Locker.
The only way I think we "stockpile" picks is if we trade back from 7 to like 13 (18-25 is missing out on too much talent) and get an extra 2nd rounder. Then I would be all for drafting Von Miller, Akeem Ayers, Kerrigan, Robert Quinn, Brandon Harris, Julio Jones or Justin Blackmon (Any of those players will be an immediate upgrade to our team) at 13 and using one of our NOW two-2nd rounders as trade bait for a 2012 1st round pick (Kind of like what we did when the Panthers traded their future 1st for our 2nd to draft Everett Brown).

Originally posted by j3xperience:
Too many needs, I can't see harbaugh not getting at least 1 QB and 2 in FA. Carr will not be on this roster next year and there is a slim chance T. Smith will be.

We also need a CB or 2, a pass rush OLB, a RG, a QB, a SS or FS, and a back up RB and FB, oh and a kicker.

We are inline to get a top flight CB in either Prince or Peterson, unless both are gone, we should stand pat.

The Luck train has sailed.

I couldn't agree more.

depends on whom that team is, do they already have a young QB?
I don't like the trade up for Smith. We give up way too much. I think that there will be talent at that position at#45.
I agree with you. A couple things here. Minnesota, Washington, Miami, Jacksonville, and Tennessee all could potentially pick a quarterback this year. They're going to want their guy not the next quarterback prospect available. If Minnesota thinks one of those other teams wants Newton I think a 2nd rounder next year could be had without blinking.

We can easily manuever ourselves to pick up a boat load of picks next draft. You're not going to get the farm, but if you take your time it can easily happen.

Let's not think that we have to pick a corner in the 2 rounds. I'm all for giving Asomoguh the bank this offseason even if it means letting go Manny, and Goldson. This league is revolved around dominant players not a collection of above average players. I watched the best 2 quarterbacks in the league completely cowher in fear at throwing pass towards Revis. You want to know why the Jets are still standing. It's easier to game plan for someone when you can take away their best weapon on single coverage and the opposing QB p*sses their pants at the thought of challenging it.

Prince is not the guy. Asomoguh is. Give me the 100 million dollar sure thing as opposed to the 40 million huge risk.
Share 49ersWebzone