LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 179 users in the forums

Prospect Watch: BCS National Championship #1 Auburn vs. #2 Oregon

no to Newton...............in the first.
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Nice pass.

I respectfully disagree. Nice presence to sidestep the rush but there was no one within 10 yards of that WR.

That's two TDs with no one in 10 yards of the wide open WR for Newton.

So he hits wrs when theyre open and you dont like it? Why?

That pass in Auburn's first series that the Auburn receiver dropped was pretty accurate.

Agreed that was a good throw in tight coverage and should have been caught.
Originally posted by binary2nd:

i was hoping he would tear it up in the 1st half
[ Edited by YungAce on Jan 10, 2011 at 7:19 PM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
Pretty good 2nd quarter for cam. Like what I'm seeing now that he's in a rhythm. He'll turn it up in the 2nd half and blow me away hopefully.
Originally posted by mike:
Pretty good 2nd quarter for cam. Like what I'm seeing now that he's in a rhythm. He'll turn it up in the 2nd half and blow me away hopefully.

Color me unimpressed.. to this point.
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:
Cam Newton plays a lot out of that shotgun formation. His psyche is centered around that system and I want no part of Newton in this fresh new off-season with a college "system" QB. We just need someone to make the right passes after making clear reads. We're with less holes than in previous regime changes and we all know Newton will need more time to adjust to the speed of the NFL more so then some of the other available QBs.

He did go thru 3 different shotgun systems. That shows hes coachable and can digest playbooks rather fast given his success as a starter at Blinn n Auburn. Unless you think all shotgun offenses are the same. With a good QB coach id say his potential to start is on par with any QB prospect this year.
I am mixed on Cam after this first half---he looks OK--not great.
Nice pass.

I respectfully disagree. Nice presence to sidestep the rush but there was no one within 10 yards of that WR.

Never said I didn't like it. He did a good job taking what the defense gave him on both plays, which is what he's supposed to do. But I would expect every QB in college football to hit completely wide open targets, so those two throws aren't really telling me anything about Cam's ability to play QB in the NFL. Also worth noting that he did whiff badly on 4th and goal with a wide open man in the endzone, so he is 2 out of 3 on those easy TD tosses.

lol at basing 2 throws to make or break a qb. laughable
Ill Take Cam Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
im happy to say that no longer do i have to worry about scam newton getting drafted by baalke/harbaugh

LOL After 1 qtr dude? Hilarious!

no after the whole season, wasting a top 10 pick alone for this guy will be a f**king waste.

What during Scam's whole season has you so down on him? Curious.

he plays in a gimmick offense just like our past 1st rd pick qb and everyone seems to hate him. i question his desire to study opposing nfl defenses and learn to play qb in the nfl. you gotta be a complete desperate idiotic team to risk drafting newton in the top half or imo the 1st. dude has so much things to learn, i dont believe baalke and harbaugh will risk taking freaking newton in the 1st where there can be other qbs who can be had later and possibly be groomed and successful in the wco.

I wish Saban would just slap the sh!t out of Urban Meyer...
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YungAce:
Originally posted by binary2nd:

i was hoping he would tear it up in the 1st half

You have to account for the month layoff. You can tell that there was a mixture of rust and nervousness in the first quarter of the game, but once he got in a rhythm he did pretty good.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Nice pass.

Never said I didn't like it. He did a good job taking what the defense gave him on both plays, which is what he's supposed to do. But I would expect every QB in college football to hit completely wide open targets, so those two throws aren't really telling me anything about Cam's ability to play QB in the NFL. Also worth noting that he did whiff badly on 4th and goal with a wide open man in the endzone, so he is 2 out of 3 on those easy TD tosses.

lol at basing 2 throws to make or break a qb. laughable

I was commenting on the two throws, not saying they made or broke anything. Don't know where you are getting that. Lol at your reading comprehension abilities.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jan 10, 2011 at 7:32 PM ]
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:
Cam Newton plays a lot out of that shotgun formation. His psyche is centered around that system and I want no part of Newton in this fresh new off-season with a college "system" QB. We just need someone to make the right passes after making clear reads. We're with less holes than in previous regime changes and we all know Newton will need more time to adjust to the speed of the NFL more so then some of the other available QBs.

He did go thru 3 different shotgun systems. That shows hes coachable and can digest playbooks rather fast given his success as a starter at Blinn n Auburn. Unless you think all shotgun offenses are the same. With a good QB coach id say his potential to start is on par with any QB prospect this year.

Yes true and he definitely does have that kinda potential with the right coaching and right situation but we don't have that yet. He needs an Aaron Rodgers type of situation IMO.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Ehh
Share 49ersWebzone