LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 173 users in the forums

What do want or hope the niners do with the 7th pick

Do you guys have someone in particular you want them to draft w/the 7th pick or do you want them to move up for someone? Maybe move back and get more picks so that they can then move up from the second round or whatever to a first or whatever.

I hear a lot of names, but don't where at this point some these college players stand/rated as a lot can change their stock at all-star games and combines. So for those of you who are college nuts on the players let the rest of know.
I'm not a big fan of the talent in this draft at all.

I just hope they don't reach for a QB at 7. I'm hoping Peterson falls, but beyond that, I have no preference as to what they do with the pick.
I really want Prince. I think it's realistic he'll drop to us at #7. Ideally I would like Peterson but I think the kid is too much of a freak athlete to drop to us. I'm assuming he'll be picked top 5.

On the other hand, if we are able to snag Nnamdi in free agency, then I'd rather go after somebody to help our pass rush.
There are top two players that I would call elite:
Peterson
Green

These two have ALWAYS been considered top three material.

After that Quinn looks the the 'fringe" player. I wonder how high he would be if he wasn't suspended? He seemed to be a top three player at the beginning of the season.

Then I see these guys as the next level close to elite, but not a sure thing with some minimal questions:
Quinn--Medical and character issues
Bowers--Medical and "motor" concerns, now is dominant
Fairley--One year wonder, now is dominant
Amukamara--Consistently maintained high level of production, no INTs this year
Dareus--Work Ethic, takes off on plays, stamina.

To me, I would love to get Peterson, but it just is not going to happen. If it weren't for the medical issues, I would love Quinn as our new 3-4 pass rushing demon. After reading more on the QBs in Gabbert, Newton and Mallet in the top 10, each has issues and we can grab one in the second.

For me, I believe that Amukamara and Dareus are perfect picks for us at #7, realistically and that's only if Dareus drops.

Given the depth at 3-4 DE and 3-4 WILL, I would say trade down if both Amukamara and Dareus are gone especially if both Newton and Gabbert are there.

Then grab one of the top DE/OLBs in Kerrigan, Von Miller or Ayers. Or, take a 3-4 DE in Clayborn, Heyward or Watt.

We have options to make our D much younger and better. We do need that 3-4 DE that can take on double team and penetrate a la J. Smith. Ice and McD just don't do it well in the base 3-4. In our nickle they are awesome, but we need that driving force like Richard Seymor's history in NE's 3-4. To me Dareus really fits that bill. If not I really like Heyward or Watt.

In order of who I think will be there at #7
Dareus
Amukamara
Quinn

If they are gone, trade back. Unless Newton goes off tonight. Then, he may be the only QB I would want. I just don't like the idea of spending our first rounder on a QB who will sit for two/three years at #7. At #24, OK, but not at #7.

I want an immediate impact starter at that number!
[ Edited by ninertico on Jan 10, 2011 at 2:42 PM ]
Unless someone like a Green falls I think our best bet is to trade back a bit especially if we can get a team desperate enough to overspend on our pick.

I don't think we should go too far back since we still need impact players but I think we can get an impact player later in the 1st and get picks in the process.
I hope the take the BPA.
I really want to know what Harbaugh thinks of Jake Locker. Besides him and Cam Newton (assuming he puts up monster stats against the Ducks) at our spot, I'm hoping we're able to draft one of the "elite" cornerbacks.
Originally posted by TMays_isaBEAST23:
I really want Prince. I think it's realistic he'll drop to us at #7. Ideally I would like Peterson but I think the kid is too much of a freak athlete to drop to us. I'm assuming he'll be picked top 5.

On the other hand, if we are able to snag Nnamdi in free agency, then I'd rather go after somebody to help our pass rush.

But that won't happen, becaue the draft will be held as usual, but because of no CBA, no free agent can be signed. So teams can't try getting players before the draft to lesson their needs and go after BPA. They will have fill their needs first then hop to after and get a top FA. BTW is Nnamdi a restricted FA or just a FA, won't he be franchised?
During his talks last week with the 49ers, according to an NFL source, Harbaugh was very clear that he felt he could find a QB in the draft, and possibly wouldn’t even need to use the No. 7 overall pick to do it.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2011/01/10/the-harbaugh-qb-challenge-whats-the-criteria-and-which-qbs-might-fit-it/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVeWn3bwWTg

For everyone that Wants Prince he got burned!!!!!!!!!!!! Not worth the Millions last yr Haden got a 5 yr 50 million dollar contract out of the #7 spot.

No way it will be a QB Mallet or DE Harbaugh will want a QB of his choice to sink or swim with.

Pleanty of FA CB rather give them 10 million a yr than an unproven rookie cb

Originally posted by YungAce:
I really want to know what Harbaugh thinks of Jake Locker. Besides him and Cam Newton (assuming he puts up monster stats against the Ducks) at our spot, I'm hoping we're able to draft one of the "elite" cornerbacks.

You and every niner wants to know what Harbaugh thinks of the quarterbacks. If he sees something he sure won't say. I'm hoping he can baffle everyone like when he was chosing what team he wanted to coach.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Trade back and pick a rush backer.

Use the extra pick on a DB and take a QB in the mid rounds.
Share 49ersWebzone