There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kalens First Mock Offseason

I'm trying to go for a realistic type offseason. Nothing crazy like getting Asomugha.

Free Agency
Kamerion Wimbley OLB - Had some good years in Cleveland and played well in Oakland. Another pass rusher to add to the defense.

Fabian Washington CB - Will compete for #2 or #3 CB.

Matt Hasselbeck QB - Stop gap option to allow rookie QB to learn offense.

Notable Players Re-Signed
Brian Westbrook
Takeo Spikes
Aubrayo Franklin
Eric Heitmann
Manny Lawson
Nate Clements re-negotiated and moved to FS

Draft
Round 1 - Prince Amukamara CB - Our secondary sucks and we need a legit #1 CB.

Round 2 - Michael Floyd WR (Notre Dame) - Big physical receiver, deep threat, something we sorely need at the WR position.

Round 3 - Andy Dalton/Ricky Stanzi QB - Whichever one suits best or is available. Can sit behind Hasselbeck until ready to go.

Round 4 - BPA D-Line

Rounds 5-7 -BPA with focuses on Secondary, O-Line and Special Teams.
[ Edited by Kalen49ers on Jan 9, 2011 at 3:17 PM ]
do u really think that floyd would be there with our 2nd-rounder?
Originally posted by communist:
do u really think that floyd would be there with our 2nd-rounder?

Did people think DeSean Jackson would have been there?
49ers lack a serious pass-rusher.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

We can't fix every single problem on the team in one offseason. Guys like Wimbley, LaBoy, Brooks or whoever else, are sufficient for the next season.
like wimbley on our team let manny and franklin walk IMO
[ Edited by Hawaii49erfan on Jan 9, 2011 at 3:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

We can't fix every single problem on the team in one offseason. Guys like Wimbley, LaBoy, Brooks or whoever else, are sufficient for the next season.

I guess we just agree to disagree. I think our pass-rush is much worse than our secondary since we don't have one (pass-rush). That's just it, our pass-rush is not sufficient - it doesn't exist. At all. It's the same logic people have about the LOS with WR - get better WRs and keep terrible OL guys.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Jan 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM ]
I like it, we add a legit passrusher in Wimbley, a future lockdown CB (hopefully) in Prince Amukamara and much needed speed with Fabian Washington
[ Edited by TheGoldenState on Jan 9, 2011 at 3:43 PM ]
I'd be happy with this. I think Hasselbeck is the ideal stop-gap while the rookie develops, whoever that is.

Our secondary is trash and the obvious weak point on defense. Wimbley is an effective rusher and when Manusky sent the blitz, it was usually successful. The problem was that our secondary was so shaky that he had use our LBs heavily in coverage. We played a "bend, but don't break" style. I'm skeptical on Prince, but he'd fill a huge void. Vic's defense is more of an attacking style, so we're going to need some CBs that can be trusted.
I like it and it is realistic. I'll take Dalton over Stanzi any day.
I don't want Clements on this team anymore.

I guess we just agree to disagree. I think our pass-rush is much worse than our secondary since we don't have one (pass-rush). That's just it, our pass-rush is not sufficient - it doesn't exist. At all. It's the same logic people have about the LOS with WR - get better WRs and keep terrible OL guys.

I don't think the pass rush is as bad as you make it out to be. Add in a guy like Wimbley who is a solid pass rusher himself, and its gonna be at least mediocre. Again we can't fix everything at once.

I think our pass-rush is much worse than our secondary since we don't have one (pass-rush). That's just it, our pass-rush is not sufficient - it doesn't exist. At all. It's the same logic people have about the LOS with WR - get better WRs and keep terrible OL guys.

this

The game is won at the LOS - both offensively and defensively - if you cannot control the LOS you will lose. It doesn't matter who is on the corner or who is the QB, if you can't control the LOS, you lose!

IMO, they should accept the fact they are going to get very mediocre QB play this season no matter who they bring in (the choices are all bad) and just use the 1st for the best pass rusher that roughly fits the value chart. Also, use a later pick for another prospect. You can never have enough pass rushers.
QB not addressed still
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
QB not addressed still

A veteran and a rookie isn't enough?