There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

My First Top 7 Mock (1/9/11)

Originally posted by Surly-Z:
What makes you think Cam Newton lacks intelligence?

Even though he was a star footbal program recruit, Cam Newton managed to fail academically -- flunk out -- at the University of Florida. If you are a star athlete at Florida and you can spell your own name (on average) one time in three times, you do not flunk out.
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I am gonna say it, Locker, Mallett and Newton and even Gabbert DO NOT deserve a 1st rd grade.

But they will go top 15.

Right now I have locker 33rd, mallett 34th, and then newton and gabbert lower.

ab i dont understand your thought process. newton lower? he is very accurate with the long ball, great runner, heismann, and he destroyed the best football conference in college..... as young did say locker does not have the skill set.. Newton may or may not be NFL READY, but he is as ready as any qb in the draft playing and suceeding against the best players in college...

I dont really ever disagree with you but here.....

newton isnt nfl ready AT ALL! if he started day 1 i think he would completely fail. He is super athletic but so is everyone in the nfl. He has TERRIBLE mechanics and has never read a defense. he would flop day one againist pro talent in the wco. he is gonna take multiple years to get acclimated to our offense. it is just not worth taking a first round pick to let him sit for 2-3 years when we can do the same with a 2nd-3rd rounder. it isnt just about how he did againist the SEC that doesnt mean anything in the nfl and his game style just doesnt mach the nfl.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I am gonna say it, Locker, Mallett and Newton and even Gabbert DO NOT deserve a 1st rd grade.

But they will go top 15.

Right now I have locker 33rd, mallett 34th, and then newton and gabbert lower.

ab i dont understand your thought process. newton lower? he is very accurate with the long ball, great runner, heismann, and he destroyed the best football conference in college..... as young did say locker does not have the skill set.. Newton may or may not be NFL READY, but he is as ready as any qb in the draft playing and suceeding against the best players in college...

I dont really ever disagree with you but here.....

newton isnt nfl ready AT ALL! if he started day 1 i think he would completely fail. He is super athletic but so is everyone in the nfl. He has TERRIBLE mechanics and has never read a defense. he would flop day one againist pro talent in the wco. he is gonna take multiple years to get acclimated to our offense. it is just not worth taking a first round pick to let him sit for 2-3 years when we can do the same with a 2nd-3rd rounder. it isnt just about how he did againist the SEC that doesnt mean anything in the nfl and his game style just doesnt mach the nfl.

How many guys outside of Luck have to read defenses? Its college ball. I keep hearing all these negative things about his Mechanics but he seems to get the ball where he wants it too go and his mechanics don't look overly bad. Probably more sound than Tebow. Not to mention Mechanics don't make a QB. Tell me who is mechanically better? Brett Favre or Brady Quinn?
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Or Philip Rivers, its funny to me how the average joe from the Webzone talks about a QB having bad mechanics like he is an NFL scout.
Would rather have prince at 7! Now as far as qb's go. Give me Accuracy. A guy who makes his read's quickly, aka intelligence a leader, a guy who has quick feet, aka mobility that's mobility, not about how fast your 40 time is. A guy with good mechanics's, Give me a guy with touch, and lastly power. This is the west coast if you forgotten, theirs more to being a qb then watching vick run in this scheme! I'm sure Jim will find what he's looking to coach, but i doubt any qb outside luck is franchise at this point.

Rivers doesn't have bad mechanics haha he has a 3 quarter release, sure he doesn't throw over top,and his arm is not powerful. he's accuracy, decision making and foot work are all top of the line...
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Jan 9, 2011 at 9:24 PM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
I dont nothing about mechanics but I remember people saying how Rivers needed to fix his throwing motion............I guess everbody was wrong.
Originally posted by jimrat201:
I dont nothing about mechanics but I remember people saying how Rivers needed to fix his throwing motion............I guess everbody was wrong.

Simply, over the top where the shoulder and arm are above the head in a nice circle motion when throwing! 3/4 or whatever it's also called, is if you watch vince young and rivers both have this motion. where they throw more of a side arm motion with the ball coming out lower, more batted balls, and you don't get the full power on the ball. Most coaches don't like this motion of throwing tends to be slower and less powerful, but some players have had long career's with it.

Mechanics, is the motion of the arm, and more. Such as, Footwork, 3 step drops, the 5 step drops, and the 7. sometimes a 5 step, reset the feet! when throwing you place your front leg toward the target your aiming at, you keep it bent, you never want to lock the knee it cause poor accuracy, aka alex smiths problem. Also, it's your hips less about how hard you can throw it with your arm, but how fast you can torque the hips around as you throw, it's like a golf's swing takes years to truly perfect it, aka old tiger woods, now he has no swing coach and has trouble driving the ball.

Also aaron rodgers was said, to have perfect mechanics. And it scared people off cause he was like a robot.... Please years of a good coach's working with him, and his own determination to improving his golf swing... still pissed about this!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Jan 9, 2011 at 9:52 PM ]
1. Carolina – A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
2. Denver – Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
3. Buffalo – Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
4. Cincinnati – DaQuan Bowser, DE, Clemson
5. Arizona – Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
6. Cleveland – Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
7. San Francisco – Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama

Locker won't be a top 10 pick. There are easily 10 players WAY better than him that deserved to be picked. IF someone takes Locker, its a major reach in the top 15.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I have the 49ers taking Jake Locker at #7. After the combine, he will regain most of the luster he lost during his senior season. Remember, the guy runs a 4.39 40, has a rocket arm, and has the leadership skills (and upper body strength) of a Tim Tebow. This is Jim Harbaugh's guy. Mallet doesn't fit the West Coast offense, Gabbert may or may not be a fit (that's a wild-card), and Newton is a multi-year project who lacks the intelligence Harbaugh desires. Its quite possible that Harbaugh falls in love with a 2nd or 3rd round quarterback like Ponder or Stanzi and we take Amukamura instead, but I think we go quarterback. acquiring Vince Young or Kolb would change the equation as well.

One interesting piece of information is that I've heard Jim Harbaugh absolutely despises the Washington coaching staff -- any insight on this?

1. Carolina (2-14) - WR AJ Green, Georgia. There are stil a lot of questions to be answered about Carolina's draft strategy, since they don't even havea new coach yet. But AJ Green is the surest thing at #1. Da'Quan Bowers may be the most talented player at the top of the draft, but there are times when he doesn't show up at all. Nick Fairley is a one-year wonder so far. But AJ Green is the best WR prospect to come out at least since Calvin Johnson -- he immediately makes Jimmy Clausen a lot, lot better. A trade-down would make a lot of sense for Carolina since they don't have a second-round pick.

2. Denver (4-12) - CB Patrick Peterson, LSU. Again, no coach yet. But the secondary is the biggest hole on the Broncos by far. Statistically, an argument could be made to improve the pass-rush, but Elvis Dumervil missed the entire season and will be back in '11.

3. Buffalo (4-12) - DL Nick Fairley, Auburn - The Bills are getting better, but they need upgrades on the offensive and defensive lines. Fairley can play almost anywhere on the D-Line, so he is a great fit...Buffalo gave up almost 5 yards a carry in 2010, terrible. QB coult be an option, but Gailey has one more year up there, and if he fails to get them to 7 or 8 wins next year he will be fired and a new regime will br brought in. If Fitzpatrick's development stalls, Buffalo will be picking in the Top 5 next year and will have a chance at Andrew Luck, Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, or Nick Foles.

4. Cincinnati (4-12) - Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. Very poor pass-rush in Cincinatti, and with Marv Lewis returning for 2011, so is Carson Palmer. Again, if they fail in 2011, they will be looking QB in 2012 with a new regime and new coach.

5. Arizona (5-11) - DE Robert Quinn, UNC. Big upgrade at pass-rusher for Arizona. All the talk is that AZ is going to go with a veteran quarterback via free agency -- they are not in rebuilding mode. High trade-down possibility here.

6. Cleveland (5-11) - WR Julio Jones, Alabama. Cleveland can go three ways here: D-Line, WR, or corner just because Amukamura is the best player available. Cleveland has a poor run defense, but they could also take Amukamura and have two shutdown corners for years to come. I see that as unlikely, so they'll go with Julio Jones to help out Colt McCoy. Cleveland is probably going to hire an offensive coach as well, which makes this decision even more likely

7. San Francisco (6-10) - QB Jake Locker, Washington. We have a ton of choices here. We can plug our biggest need, cornerback, by taking Amukamura, or we can build an even more dominant defensive line by taking Dareus or JJ Watt, or we can have our pick of quarterbacks. From what I've read, Harbaugh puts a very high premium on athletic instincts and intangibles at quartberback, so I think Mallett is out as an option. Gabbert has decent mobility, but is still more of a pocket passer. The three athletic quarterbacks are Jake Locker, Cam Newton, and Christian Ponder (2nd Round). Cam is a 2 or 3 year project. So when all is said and done, I think the 49ers take QB Jake Locker at #7. He has all the tools required to be a superior player in the West Coast offense, period. He had an awful senior season, and he should regain most of the #1 overall status he lost after the combine. Locker has the leadership skills of a Tim Tebow, and ran a 4.39 40-yard dash! Amazing arm strength, upper body strength, vision, etc. Locker's measurables compare favorably to John Elway (the baseball background helps that comparison)...and the Steve Young comparisons fly around too (I heard Young is very, very, very high on Jake Locker...does anyone have a link?). I would be very happy with this pick.

Outstanding job.

This is an example of a realistic, well thought out mock with players going in the slots where they make the most amount of sense and has good commentary with each pick.

I'd be surprised if SF takes the 1st QB of the draft... as Gabbert is a possibility for teams like Carolina/Buffalo/Arizona. But it could happen. I too would be very happy with the Locker pick.

It is an absolute fallacy that Steve Young likes Jake Locker.

In an interview with KNBR, i think from around Dec 30th, Steve Young praises Andrew Luck for his quarterback specific instincts. Then He's asked about Locker, and Steve Young says Locker is just the opposite, in fact his quarterback specific traits were terrible and wouldnt translate well in the NFL.

I DO NOT WANT JAKE LOCKER.... we gotta go with Prince at #7 and hope Harbaugh can find a diamond in the rough later on in the draft

So I listened to the audio, and when he said he's "just the opposite", he was referring to NFL polish -- Locker does not have the NFL polish Luck has.

http://www.knbr.com/portals/3/podcasts/razormrt/1230-%20STEVE%20YOUNG.mp3
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I have the 49ers taking Jake Locker at #7. After the combine, he will regain most of the luster he lost during his senior season. Remember, the guy runs a 4.39 40, has a rocket arm, and has the leadership skills (and upper body strength) of a Tim Tebow. This is Jim Harbaugh's guy. Mallet doesn't fit the West Coast offense, Gabbert may or may not be a fit (that's a wild-card), and Newton is a multi-year project who lacks the intelligence Harbaugh desires. Its quite possible that Harbaugh falls in love with a 2nd or 3rd round quarterback like Ponder or Stanzi and we take Amukamura instead, but I think we go quarterback. acquiring Vince Young or Kolb would change the equation as well.

One interesting piece of information is that I've heard Jim Harbaugh absolutely despises the Washington coaching staff -- any insight on this?

1. Carolina (2-14) - WR AJ Green, Georgia. There are stil a lot of questions to be answered about Carolina's draft strategy, since they don't even havea new coach yet. But AJ Green is the surest thing at #1. Da'Quan Bowers may be the most talented player at the top of the draft, but there are times when he doesn't show up at all. Nick Fairley is a one-year wonder so far. But AJ Green is the best WR prospect to come out at least since Calvin Johnson -- he immediately makes Jimmy Clausen a lot, lot better. A trade-down would make a lot of sense for Carolina since they don't have a second-round pick.

2. Denver (4-12) - CB Patrick Peterson, LSU. Again, no coach yet. But the secondary is the biggest hole on the Broncos by far. Statistically, an argument could be made to improve the pass-rush, but Elvis Dumervil missed the entire season and will be back in '11.

3. Buffalo (4-12) - DL Nick Fairley, Auburn - The Bills are getting better, but they need upgrades on the offensive and defensive lines. Fairley can play almost anywhere on the D-Line, so he is a great fit...Buffalo gave up almost 5 yards a carry in 2010, terrible. QB coult be an option, but Gailey has one more year up there, and if he fails to get them to 7 or 8 wins next year he will be fired and a new regime will br brought in. If Fitzpatrick's development stalls, Buffalo will be picking in the Top 5 next year and will have a chance at Andrew Luck, Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, or Nick Foles.

4. Cincinnati (4-12) - Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. Very poor pass-rush in Cincinatti, and with Marv Lewis returning for 2011, so is Carson Palmer. Again, if they fail in 2011, they will be looking QB in 2012 with a new regime and new coach.

5. Arizona (5-11) - DE Robert Quinn, UNC. Big upgrade at pass-rusher for Arizona. All the talk is that AZ is going to go with a veteran quarterback via free agency -- they are not in rebuilding mode. High trade-down possibility here.

6. Cleveland (5-11) - WR Julio Jones, Alabama. Cleveland can go three ways here: D-Line, WR, or corner just because Amukamura is the best player available. Cleveland has a poor run defense, but they could also take Amukamura and have two shutdown corners for years to come. I see that as unlikely, so they'll go with Julio Jones to help out Colt McCoy. Cleveland is probably going to hire an offensive coach as well, which makes this decision even more likely

7. San Francisco (6-10) - QB Jake Locker, Washington. We have a ton of choices here. We can plug our biggest need, cornerback, by taking Amukamura, or we can build an even more dominant defensive line by taking Dareus or JJ Watt, or we can have our pick of quarterbacks. From what I've read, Harbaugh puts a very high premium on athletic instincts and intangibles at quartberback, so I think Mallett is out as an option. Gabbert has decent mobility, but is still more of a pocket passer. The three athletic quarterbacks are Jake Locker, Cam Newton, and Christian Ponder (2nd Round). Cam is a 2 or 3 year project. So when all is said and done, I think the 49ers take QB Jake Locker at #7. He has all the tools required to be a superior player in the West Coast offense, period. He had an awful senior season, and he should regain most of the #1 overall status he lost after the combine. Locker has the leadership skills of a Tim Tebow, and ran a 4.39 40-yard dash! Amazing arm strength, upper body strength, vision, etc. Locker's measurables compare favorably to John Elway (the baseball background helps that comparison)...and the Steve Young comparisons fly around too (I heard Young is very, very, very high on Jake Locker...does anyone have a link?). I would be very happy with this pick.

Wrong on that... During his weekly call-in to Ralph & Tom, he characterized Luck as the most pro ready QB he has seen and went on to say that he just doesnt see the necessary skill set from Locker.

No, he was discussing how Luck can read a safety like an NFL quarterback already, totally polished. Locker is "just the opposite" in that regard. You can teach that.

http://www.knbr.com/portals/3/podcasts/razormrt/1230-%20STEVE%20YOUNG.mp3