There are 136 users in the forums

New Years Off-Season/Mock Draft (quick style)

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
You really believe that Patrick Peterson will fall to us?

Yes. I wish I had more time to explain but I gotta go to work now.

Pshh I'm at work now and I'm still waiting for the explanation

1. Panthers 2-14 .125 .574 - Nick Fairley - They been trying to find DT's for years
2. Broncos 4-12 .250 .516 - Marcell Dareus - Their front seven is horrible besides Dumerville
3. Bills 4-12 .250 .578 - Robert Quinn - No pass-rush, and Maybin seems like a bust
4. Bengals 4-12 .250 .582 - AJ Green or DaQuan Bowers
5. Cardinals 5-11 .313 .465 - Ryan Mallet or Adrian CLayborn or surprise pick Anthony Castonzo
6. Browns 5-11 .313 .570 - Now this could go either way Amukamara or Pat Peterson
7. 49ers 6-10 .375 .488 - Patrick Peterson

Mmk, I guess you can say that anything can happen during draft day, but I just don't see AZ picking a rookie QB let alone reach for Clayborn and Castonzo. They definitely need CB help and they could go Peterson/Amukamara. As for the Browns, I can see them reaching for Julio Jones.

1. Panthers 2-14 .125 .574 - Nick Fairley - They been trying to find DT's for years
2. Broncos 4-12 .250 .516 - Marcell Dareus - Their front seven is horrible besides Dumerville
3. Bills 4-12 .250 .578 - Robert Quinn - No pass-rush, and Maybin seems like a bust
4. Bengals 4-12 .250 .582 - AJ Green or DaQuan Bowers
5. Cardinals 5-11 .313 .465 - Ryan Mallet or Adrian CLayborn or surprise pick Anthony Castonzo dont see whisenhunt draft a QB in the 1st-round at all...he will be fired if he sucks again and the last thing he needs, is another qb-rookie.
6. Browns 5-11 .313 .570 - Now this could go either way Amukamara or Pat Peterson drafting for CB with your first-rounder in back-to-back years? nothing is impossible but i dont see that happening. yes, they need another CB but they also need a WR badly...either they reach for jones or they trade down.
7. 49ers 6-10 .375 .488 - Patrick Peterson

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Can I ask you guys, why you think Arizona won't draft a QB high?? They literally have no one effective at that the QB position. Ryan Mallet would be the perfect QB for Whisenhunt's offense. And as for Anthony Castonzo, Arizona's O-line is horrible on the right side, they could use the best OT in the draft there.
ariz won't pick a rookie qb Ariz Head coach job is on the line. Will want Veteran QB and I don't think McNabb goes there with that horrible oline. There Defense sucks, they'll go DE or CB

I agree with all of them except Baas, he is much better than Heitman who gets thrown around like a rag doll. FA wr Jennings, OG Mankins, Wimbely OLB/DE, CB Joseph or marshall.

The rest Draft
1rd QB Mallet
2rd FS
3rd DE/DT
4th WR
4th RB 3rd down back
5th FB
6th CB
6th ILB
7th OL
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Pintor63:
ariz won't pick a rookie qb Ariz Head coach job is on the line. Will want Veteran QB and I don't think McNabb goes there with that horrible oline. There Defense sucks, they'll go DE or CB

I agree with all of them except Baas, he is much better than Heitman who gets thrown around like a rag doll. FA wr Jennings, OG Mankins, Wimbely OLB/DE, CB Joseph or marshall.

The rest Draft
1rd QB Mallet
2rd FS
3rd DE/DT
4th WR
4th RB 3rd down back
5th FB
6th CB
6th ILB
7th OL

How is Whisenhunt's job on the line, hes only had one bad season. I think there front office knows it wasn't Whisenhunt's fault last season was a mess. They lost starters on both offense and defense through free agency, and had no one at the QB position. The front office thought wrong about Derek Anderson, it shouldn't all fall on Whisenhunt.

Arizona is in rebuilding mode, and they'll start with a new QB again.
Can I ask you guys, why you think Arizona won't draft a QB high?? They literally have no one effective at that the QB position. Ryan Mallet would be the perfect QB for Whisenhunt's offense. And as for Anthony Castonzo, Arizona's O-line is horrible on the right side, they could use the best OT in the draft there.
arizona's o-line sucks big-time...mallett will be dead by week 2 behind them. and it's not for sure that a castonzo (who must be drafted in the 1st by the cards) would help right from start, is it?
whisenhunt is on a hot seat and i dont think that he will risk his job by adding another rookie...he will get a vet in the first place and try to develop skelton behind him.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by communist:
arizona's o-line sucks big-time...mallett will be dead by week 2 behind them. and it's not for sure that a castonzo (who must be drafted in the 1st by the cards) would help right from start, is it?
whisenhunt is on a hot seat and i dont think that he will risk his job by adding another rookie...he will get a vet in the first place and try to develop skelton behind him.

So you'd have the Cards picking a WR, yet you admit their O-line sucks.

They have pretty much close to nothing invested in the QB position, they could still bring in a vet QB and draft Mallet. It wouldn't hurt at all having Skelton as a 3rd QB.

So you'd have the Cards picking a WR, yet you admit their O-line sucks.
green could be bpa here but even then i wouldnt pick him if i were the cards-gm b/c they dont need another WR at all. an o-liner is a possibility here, even a QB could be gone here but i dont see that happening...it's not whisenhunt's rebuilding draft, it's his last if he cant turn around, so he will draft guys who could help right away...and i dont consider any qb-prospect as a help from day one.
They have pretty much close to nothing invested in the QB position, they could still bring in a vet QB and draft Mallet. It wouldn't hurt at all having Skelton as a 3rd QB. they WILL bring in a QB and they could go for another rookie in the draft later.
the cards could be the first team which trades down...
[ Edited by communist on Jan 10, 2011 at 5:21 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Added last two Comp picks.
Beal's stock may have plummeted this off-season more than any other player in the draft. A 6-2 260 pound end who clocks a 5.12 is going to have a hard time convincing teams he can make an impact in anything other than a situational depth/rotational role. He's now considered a 5th-6th rounder.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Beal's stock may have plummeted this off-season more than any other player in the draft. A 6-2 260 pound end who clocks a 5.12 is going to have a hard time convincing teams he can make an impact in anything other than a situational depth/rotational role. He's now considered a 5th-6th rounder.

Thanks for the heads up OTC, I was gonna edit it more, but just figured I add the two Comp picks for now.

Thanks for the heads up OTC, I was gonna edit it more, but just figured I add the two Comp picks for now.

Yeah, I mean I wouldn't mind spending the 5th on the guy, but there could be better value/potential there in the eyes of Baalke. The 5th would be worth it in my opinion, for a guy whose statistical dominance is hard to ignore despite his lack of measurables.

I'm a little surprised Beal didn't even attempt to better his 40-time at his pro-day. I actually miswrote it the first time.. he actually clocked 5.14. He had a decent shuttle and 3-cone time. He may have considered it best strategically to not re-run the forty in hopes that perhaps scouts think his timed speed was an anomaly, and rely more on film to assess his game speed.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 27, 2011 at 21:53:24 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Yeah, I mean I wouldn't mind spending the 5th on the guy, but there could be better value/potential there in the eyes of Baalke. The 5th would be worth it in my opinion, for a guy whose statistical dominance is hard to ignore despite his lack of measurables.

I'm a little surprised Beal didn't even attempt to better his 40-time at his pro-day. I actually miswrote it the first time.. he actually clocked 5.14. He had a decent shuttle and 3-cone time. He may have considered it best strategically to not re-run the forty in hopes that perhaps scouts think his timed speed was an anomaly, and rely more on film to assess his game speed.

I was just about to say that. Nonetheless I'm gonna have to re-tweak my Mock Draft. Maybe I should just switch Carpenter and Beal. .

I also think Hankerson drops a little too, I heard or read he had a pretty bad Pro Day dropping a lot of passes and looked stiff in his route running.
Originally posted by backontop:
to many releases that we still need that we can't replace.

Released/Not re-signed
1. Alex Smith - Leaves via free agency, does not want to re-sign
2. Manny Lawson - Leaves via free agency - Jeremy Beal is much better pass rusher
3. Takeo Spikes - I gave my reason why I don't wanna re-sign
4. Demetric Evans - bench players easily replaced
5. Dashon Goldson - Richard Marshall is much more of an upgrade
6. David Baas - free agent, besides, Heitmann is a much better fit for the WCO
7. David Carr - sucks
8. Aubrayo Franklin - wants to test market no bidding war here, Soliai is much better
9. Tony Wragge - replaced by two rookies
10. Moran Norris - Ahmad Hall takes his spot
11. Kyle Williams - three players capable of returning kicks on team = expendable
12. Dominique Zeigler - replaced by Hankerson and Salas

Most I agree with but you seem to be putting a great deal of faith in the rookies being better than the vets and I would wait for training camp to make that decision. If the vets aren't too expensive to resign (Baas & Wragge) they should be in the mix. Make the rookies unseat them. Same with the WRs (Williams/Zeigler). Carr could go after they sign another vet. Spikes and Goldson I would keep, period. Like the draft choices a lot.
Share 49ersWebzone