There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What are your thoughts about drafting a QB in the 1st round and then...

...another QB in the later rounds (3rd to 5th).

Basically get one of the top QB prospects (Locker, Mallet, Gabbert, etc.) and then a late QB prospect. That way, we can develop two QBs and hopefully one of them will pan out.
If we do go QB I actually like the idea of getting 2. We need a starter and a backup. Plus you never know which will turn out better. Sometimes your 2nd / 3rd round guy is better than your 1st rounder. So if we did this I wouldn't be upset. In fact I think we should. It's high time we started putting some picks, talent and value into the QB position. We've ignored it for long enough.

1st Round: Mallet, Gabbert, Locker

2nd / 3rd Rounds: Stanzi, Dalton

I could see a 1 and a 3. I wouldn't mind. We have other needs but we've been QB poor for way too long.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
If we do go QB I actually like the idea of getting 2. We need a starter and a backup. Plus you never know which will turn out better. Sometimes your 2nd / 3rd round guy is better than your 1st rounder. So if we did this I wouldn't be upset. In fact I think we should. It's high time we started putting some picks, talent and value into the QB position. We've ignored it for long enough.

I could see a 1 and a 3. I wouldn't mind. We have other needs but we've been QB poor for way too long.

That was my thinking as well. Since Harbaugh has played the position and has a history of developing QBs, why not draft 2 QBs in his very first draft and develop them? It sounds like a viable plan!
  • mike
  • Veteran
Too many other needs. Namely CB, pass rushing OLB, and pass rushing DE. Then rb assuming westbrook isn't coming back and/or dixon isn't the eventual gore replacement.

Also maybe a WR somewhere in there that can turn on his jets going vertical better than crabtree and catch the ball better than ginn.

I'd rather get a veteran to mentor a rookie. Why get two rookies? The blind can't lead the blind. Harbaugh's a great coach but some of the best QB's are those that were able to watch every move the veteran makes. Eat what the veteran's eating, workout like the veteran's working out, sleep with his wife(just kidding LOL)

[ Edited by mike on Jan 8, 2011 at 00:00:55 ]
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

That was my thinking as well. Since Harbaugh has played the position and has a history of developing QBs, why not draft 2 QBs in his very first draft and develop them? It sounds like a viable plan!

I would do it if the right guys are there. But I wouldn't force the issue. If anybody can develop 2 guys the right way it would be Harbaugh. We need 2 anyway. We need a starter and a backup. We should strive to have the best QB's. A high end starter and a high end backup. At least as far as backups go. I'm sick of having the worst QB play. Good QB play would win more games for this team. At least 9 - 7. Maybe 10 - 6. We do have secondary and pass rush issues to. It's not a perfect team. But better QB play would win more for this team.
Originally posted by mike:
Too many other needs. Namely CB, pass rushing OLB, and pass rushing DE. Then rb assuming westbrook isn't coming back and/or dixon isn't the eventual gore replacement.

Also maybe a WR somewhere in there that can turn on his jets going vertical better than crabtree and catch the ball better than ginn.

I'd rather get a veteran to mentor a rookie. Why get two rookies? The blind can't lead the blind.

Good points. Excellent first post. Welcome to the Zone!
  • mike
  • Veteran

I'd rather get a veteran to mentor a rookie. Why get two rookies? The blind can't lead the blind.

Thanks, just found this place, otherwise I'm stuck ranting to my poor friends on facebook about the 49ers while they could care less.

Thanks, just found this place, otherwise I'm stuck ranting to my poor friends on facebook about the 49ers while they could care less.

This is a good place to talk 49ers. We do it everyday... Welcome to the board.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jan 8, 2011 at 00:05:20 ]