Takeo Spikes - LB

Restructure -

Nate Clements - CB
David Carr - QB

Release -

Moran Norris - FB

Free Agency -

Chris Chester - OG - Ravens
*A cali native, Chester is the perfect fit at RG for our offensive line. He's played along side talented but raw OTs in Gaither and Oher. He's athletic enough to play zone blocking and man-to-man blocking. Plus, Harbaugh coached him...the other one.

Champ Bailey - CB/FS - Broncos
*Baalke was part of the scout department when the Redskins drafted him. I don't know if the rumor of him shifting to FS is true, but I like the idea for this mock. Pay him a 3 year, 22M a deal as a CB/FS combo.

Kamerion Wimbley - DE/OLB - Raiders
*While Wimbley has some weaknesses (not the best cover LB), he is a fantastic pass rusher. He can play OLB in the 3-4, and the DE position in the 4-3. Great 3 down player.

Marc Bulger - QB - Ravens
*While Bulger played poorly during his last couple seasons with the Rams, they were going through a rough transition. Tough injuries along the O-line, aging WRs, mixing in youth and young blood...it was a mess. At the very least, I think Bulger has an opportunity to start for one season while the 49ers develop someone behind him. He's had a year to push the reset button and let his body heal.

Trade -

6th round pick (f/ Seahawks via Balmer trade) and Chilo Rachal - OG for Seahawks 4th round pick

3rd and 4th round pick (f/ Chargers) for a late 2nd round pick

NFL Draft -

R1: Prince Amukamara - CB - Nebraska
*New and young talent at the CB position. The combination of Clements, Prince, Spencer, and Brown will give us 4 deep with Adams developing into a promising role player.

R2: Michael Floyd - WR - Notre Dame
*While it will depend on his combine performance, I think there's a good chance Floyd will be at this spot. We need a bigger target opposite of Crabtree, and I think Floyd can start from day 1. Enjoy the bench Morgan.

R2: Christian Ponder - QB - Florida State (from trade)
*I think a Ponder/Harbaugh combination would be the best fit the franchise has had at the position in nearly a decade. Ponder is a natural WCO QB fit with great intangibles. While the injuries are concerning, I think we get fantastic bang for buck at this spot.

R4: Sione Fua - NT - Stanford
*Fua is familiar with Fangio's 3-4 scheme, and the competition between Fua and RJF will make this very exciting during training camp.

R4: Chase Beeler - OC/OG - Stanford
*Snag another Standford alum. Beeler has a very similar style and frame to Eric Heitmann. Already acclimated to Harbaugh's offense, he would be a great successor to Heitmann once his contract expires.

R5: Ugo Chinasa - DE/OLB - Oklahoma State
*Gibson and Chinasa will provide great OLB depth and ability to make plays on the ST unit.

R6: Allen Bradford - RB/FB - USC
*A great prospect to develop as a power FB back.

R7: Corbin Bryant - DT/DE - Northwestern (f/ Lions)
*Perhaps another late round contributer like RJF?

R7: BPA at ST/K

Depth Chart:

QB: Bulger*/Ponder*/Carr
RB: Gore/Westbrook/Dixon
FB: Bradford*
TE: Davis/Walker/Byham

WR: Crabtree/Williams
WR: Floyd/Ginn
WR: Morgan

LT: Staley/Boone
LG: Iupati/Wragge
OC: Heitmann/Beeler*
RG: Chester*
RT: Davis/Snyder

DE: Smith/McDonald
NT: RJF/Fua*
DE: Sopoaga/Bryant*

OLB: Wimbley*/Gibson/Chinasa*
ILB: Willis/McKillop
ILB: Spikes/Bowman
OLB: Brooks/Haralson

CB: Clements/Brown/Adams
CB: Amukamara*/Spencer
FS: Bailey*/Spillman
SS: Smith/Mays

ST: Nedney, Lee, Jennings, Rookie*
not bad, I dont think the seahawks will do any trading with us .. But I do like the Christian Ponder idea, he's a VERY smart and accurate QB .. could possibly work.
If Bulger gets hurt we're done. And I hope we replace Carr with someone better.

I hope they go after a guy in FA that can start. Richard Marshall or Jonathan Joseph, anyone! I think Bailey to FS would be a good move, I think if our starters are Smith and Mays our secondary will be bad.[/indent]
David Carr - QB

No way in hell we would keep him. Troy Smith and Alex Smith way better then him. It would just be a wasted roster spot. I rather have andy lee as a QB then him.
I am not sold on Ponder whatsoever. We'll see what he does at the Senior Bowl.

I also don't think Floyd would make it to that spot, but if he did, that would be terrific for us.

Too high for Beeler I think. He could be had in the 6th round, due to the lack of prototypical NFL size (6-3 285).

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 7, 2011 at 22:01:21 ]
Bulger?
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Bulger?

He actually used to be good and he's not as old as Hasselbeck or McNabb.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I also don't think Floyd would make it to that spot, but if he did, that would be terrific for us.

Too high for Beeler I think. He could be had in the 6th round, due to the lack of prototypical NFL size (6-3 285).

I agree that the senior bowl will be critical in his draft stock and health. We'll see how that pans out, but if he looks good, then I think we gotta pick him.

You know, I understand the size argument for Beeler...but ranking and grading centers and the actual outcome of the draft shows that the position has high volatility. Guys who are project to be mid rounders go late, and vice versa for late-rounders. Besides, if we switch to a zone scheme, then I don't think his size will be that big of a downgrade.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Bulger?

I know...
used to lol

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Bulger?

Exactly. People can b***h all they want, but who else is available in free agency? Bulger isn't a long term answer at the position anyway.

And with people complaining about Carr, he's perfectly fine as a 3rd string QB. He only got a couple quarters of play in one season under crappy conditions and a dumb head coach, and people are already going to write him off as useless.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I agree that the senior bowl will be critical in his draft stock and health. We'll see how that pans out, but if he looks good, then I think we gotta pick him.

You know, I understand the size argument for Beeler...but ranking and grading centers and the actual outcome of the draft shows that the position has high volatility. Guys who are project to be mid rounders go late, and vice versa for late-rounders. Besides, if we switch to a zone scheme, then I don't think his size will be that big of a downgrade.

Which could be good for us, could be a steal in the late 5th-6th rounds. I think we should wait until the 6th to get a center. I like Beeler, just not that early. The other three centers I'd love to have are Wisniewski (doubtful, borderline first rounder), Kirkpatrick (TCU), or Tim Barnes (Missouri). Either of these would greatly please me.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Bulger?

Exactly. People can b***h all they want, but who else is available in free agency? Bulger isn't a long term answer at the position anyway.

And with people complaining about Carr, he's perfectly fine as a 3rd string QB. He only got a couple quarters of play in one season under crappy conditions and a dumb head coach, and people are already going to write him off as useless.

Carr actually looked like a badass during the little ammount of time he played with NYG. I wonder if Harbaugh could make him do ok again? QB battle between Bulger/Carr in training camp maybe?
WTF is the point of Carr in the NFL at all?
pretty sure the raiders will lock up wimbley as they traded for him and he did exceptionally well this season for them.
Share 49ersWebzone