LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 450 users in the forums

Hypothetical: If Harbaugh really wanted Luck, can he pull a trade with Carolina?

• Jd925
  • Veteran
I'm just throwing this out there and don't think this scenario has a good chance of happening...

If Harbaugh really wanted Luck and could convince Luck to change his mind about returning to Stanford, could he get Carolina to accept a swap of this year's first along with niner's 2012 first round pick?

It can be a win-win :
If Carolina does not have a clear #1 pick and realizes the only way Luck will enter the draft is via a trade, they'll gain a #1 pick in 2012 and will move down six spots to #7. (Technically they will only lose 5 spots because Luck takes up a spot that woudn't be on their draft board.)

Harbaugh and the 49ers can get Luck if Luck changes his mind about staying at Stanford for the 49ers. That's if Harbaugh really wants him. (Besides Luck's decision to stay was a real bad one.)

Just wondering. You think something like this can happen?
That's called tampering my friend.
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TMays_isaBEAST23:
That's called tampering my friend.

Is it really?

The Eli/Rivers trade was similar from what I remember. Eli didn't want to play for San Diego - he forced the trade with the Giants - the Giants and Chargers worked out the deal beforehand.

The 49ers can make the deal with Carolina first with a side agreement with Luck that he'll enter the draft. There's not much time for Luck to declare anyways....
No. Get over it. We aren't getting Luck.
Originally posted by Jd925:
I'm just throwing this out there and don't think this scenario has a good chance of happening...

If Harbaugh really wanted Luck and could convince Luck to change his mind about returning to Stanford
, could he get Carolina to accept a swap of this year's first along with niner's 2012 first round pick?

It can be a win-win :
If Carolina does not have a clear #1 pick and realizes the only way Luck will enter the draft is via a trade, they'll gain a #1 pick in 2012 and will move down six spots to #7. (Technically they will only lose 5 spots because Luck takes up a spot that woudn't be on their draft board.)

Harbaugh and the 49ers can get Luck if Luck changes his mind about staying at Stanford for the 49ers. That's if Harbaugh really wants him. (Besides Luck's decision to stay was a real bad one.)

Just wondering. You think something like this can happen?

That's the tampering part. The Giants never had to convince Eli to enter the draft.
i get everyone wants the next possible peyton manning but it honestly amazes me that even as the kid decides to stay in school people are still coming up with ways to land him.....whether it be tanking next year or trade/convincing

why cant we have this much fascination with people that might actually be there at 7
Is it tampering if Harbaugh, a mentor and coach to Luck, advised him to enter the Draft?

I'm sure it's tampering if he said, "Go to the draft, but bust an Eli if Carolina tries to draft you. Then we'll come in and save the day."
  • buck
  • Veteran
Trading the future for a kid who has decided to go back to college does not seem like a good idea.

And if the trade were to happen, it would not be Harbaugh doing the trading. He does not have the power to make these trades. The GM does.
Share 49ersWebzone