There are 275 users in the forums

Cam Newton-Scouting Report

Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
would love to get him with our 7th Round Pick... he is gonna be special

fixed

and you are completely wrong
of course the year we are trying to land a qb.....there are none
If anyone can turn Newton into an NFL QB, it would be Harbaugh.
at this point, i don't see him as a great fit for the WCO. He needs to improve his accuracy and maybe better mechanics can get him there, just don't see it yet. would be a gamble i think

he has made some great throws, don't get me wrong, i don't see him doing it consistently

[ Edited by alburns on Jan 8, 2011 at 14:13:22 ]
i believe accuracy is one of the most important things harbaugh will look for in his new qb. And by accuracy i mean, emphasis on short passing accuracy which is a must in the wco. If scouts doubt cams short-intermeddiate accuracy, i would be worried.
Originally posted by alburns:
at this point, i don't see him as a great fit for the WCO. He needs to improve his accuracy and maybe better mechanics can get him there, just don't see it yet. would be a gamble i think

he has made some great throws, don't get me wrong, i don't see him doing it consistently

67% isnt accurate to you? You do know he set the NCAA all time single season record for QB passer rating on top of that right?
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

67% isnt accurate to you? You do know he set the NCAA all time single season record for QB passer rating on top of that right?

yes, but in a much different offense, he will be asked to do a lot more in WCO, quicker passes, shorter drops, tighter windows, passing to spaces

RobRang via twitter:
Huge projection. Wouldn't be my first choice. @bdownSM debating with friends on whether Cam Newton could transition to WCO w/ harbaugh.

scouting fail.

think less bill walsh/montana WCO and more of the Andy Reid WCO that had McNabb throw deep 40% of the time. That's the model to follow with Cam Newton, Donovan McNabb version 2.0

[ Edited by TheGoldStandard on Jan 8, 2011 at 15:48:43 ]
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:

scouting fail.

think less bill walsh/montana WCO and more of the Andy Reid WCO that had McNabb throw deep 40% of the time. That's the model to follow with Cam Newton, Donovan McNabb version 2.0

sure, he throws the deep ball well, can buy a lot of time with his athletic ability, but my concern lies on the shorter timing routes with short dropbacks. i saw him miss a lot of throws short, and had a tendency to throw high.

from scouting report on page 1:

Accuracy: Newton has great placement on the deep ball, but I have noticed some inconsistencies in his short to intermediate game. A lot of this stems from mechanical issues, which I’ll cover momentarily. Newton is often passing into very wide passing lanes thanks to Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn (whom I consider the top offensive mind in college football) and his spread attack. Most of these throws Newton generally made pretty well, catchable at least, but he needs to do a better job hitting open receivers in stride, and leading open receivers for bigger gains.

[ Edited by alburns on Jan 8, 2011 at 17:08:23 ]

people enjoy hating even when they dont know what they are talking about

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
If anyone can turn Newton into an NFL QB, it would be Harbaugh.

^^this.
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I wouldn't be livid if we drafted Mallet or Gabbert, but I just don't trust many of these 1st round QB's. I would rather draft a QB in the 2nd-4th rounds.

Who? One of the following: Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, or Pat Devlin.

Ok let's look at the QB's in the playoffs right now and how many were 1st round picks

Ryan
Cutler
Vick
Rogers
Brees (practically)
Manning
Sanchez
Flaco
Roethlisberger

Brady
Cassel
Hasselback

My money's on the first rounder. If there's first round worthy QB at 7, you take him no matter what.

Generally the 1st is the most talented in any given year, but if harbaugh sees something he doesn't see in the top talent, then obviously he goes defense(possibly WR) in the 1st and his favorite later. Afterall nothing could set us back more than getting the next jamarcus russell or alex smith with a first.

Chances are he's going to spend the 1st on a guy though. Or wait for locker in the early 2nd. Really depends on what problems he thinks are more easily coachable. Newton is talented and maybe he thinks with some polish given to the footwork and finer aspects of the position he can be solid. Same goes for anyone else whose got some question marks.

The thing that i think is getting mixed up is that although Harbaugh had a higher grade on those QB's (Garrard, Romo) than where they went in the draft, if he KNEW a guy could turn into something special, even if other teams didn't agree and that guy was flying under the radar, we'd probably be drafting him early. He's not gonna let his guy sit on the board till the 2rd or 3rd round, he's gonna scoop him up when he gets the chance.
Originally posted by footballxpaul:

people enjoy hating even when they dont know what they are talking about

it sounds like you know what you are talking about

yeah, tim tebow had 67.8% accuracy rate in 2009, and he was a super accurate passer right? must be a perfect fit for the WCO. Just like Cam, he throws the deep ball well, but due to crappy mechanics was very inconsistent on shorter throws in the pocket. i think the jury is still very much out (on both tebow and newton), and there is still a ton of development needed. Newton is extremely raw, and its a very difficult projection, and basing success on one or two stats when running spread or option read offense isn't smart

further, Alex Smith Utah, 67.5% completion percentage, 176 rating. would you call him accurate? I definitely would not.
[ Edited by alburns on Jan 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM ]
How does Newton compare to Vick and Young (as a passer) when coming out of college?
How about with our 2nd rounder? And what position would you play him at?
Share 49ersWebzone