There are 41 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So, with Harbaugh/ West Coast offense taking over...

Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Whoever he selects is good with me....He knows QB's....thats for sure.

Jimmy H is looking for a QB who is an

accurate passer. has the ability to think quickly, able to pass when on the run, able to digest an encyclopedic sized play book, and is able to recite the Periodic Table in Latin

[ Edited by RogerCraig on Jan 8, 2011 at 00:37:03 ]
I think neither Mallett nor Newton will be selected by Jimmy H.

[ Edited by RogerCraig on Jan 8, 2011 at 00:34:44 ]
Harbaugh said in the press conference, that one of the things his qb must be is athletic. This is one of the main problems Mallet has. So i don't really think that Mallet is an option. If this goes strictly by athleticisms, i think these are the guys who could be the options in round 1 (maybe with trading down):

Cam Newton
Jake Locker
maybe Blaine Gabbert
Originally posted by stever:
Harbaugh said in the press conference, that one of the things his qb must be is athletic. This is one of the main problems Mallet has. So i don't really think that Mallet is an option. If this goes strictly by athleticisms, i think these are the guys who could be the options in round 1 (maybe with trading down):

Cam Newton
Jake Locker
maybe Blaine Gabbert

He says athletic instincts. IMO that is way different than an athletic QB. If you go with a QB that has athletic instincts, IMO that is a guy who is a dynamic football player. WHo do you think was more dynamic, Joe Montana or Vince Young? Joe obviously. Walsh explained the difference about this and someone found it here a while back. But by athletic instincts I'm guessing making throws that hit WRs in stride, dropping back with good footwork, etc. I mean Peyton and Brady aren't athletic like VY or Cam but if you said they had athletic instincts you'd be correct. They have good footwork and move around in the pocket like they're light on their feet even if they're slow in a foot race.

I'm honestly not sure if any of those guys have the instincts Harbaugh is talking about. He also said they needed to be accurate etc. So athleticism is not the sole thing here, otherwise you could put Usain Bolt at QB. Luck was a good athlete but not Cam, but my guess is if you asked Harbaugh who he'd want he'd pick Luck 11 times out of 10.

They're also going to need to learn how to drop back and play in a pro style offense and command the huddle. Newton is nowhere close to doing that yet. His reads are simplified and he throws into larger windows that won't be there in the NFL, plus his mechanics are bad. Gabbert is a better QB prospect but I'm not sure he's as accurate as Harbaugh would like. It's possible he could like Locker though, who is inconsistent as heck but has taken some snaps under center and lead his team.

Don't forget that MM tweeted that Harbaugh was presented with scouting reports of Joey Harrington, David Garrard, and Romo in 2003 as the Raiders QB coach and he nailed all 3 of their futures. Garrard good, Romo really good, and Joey H. a bust. So he could go for a later round guy like a Stanzi, Dalton, or Ponder. That is honestly what I'd prefer.

Cam Newton
Jake Locker
maybe Blaine Gabbert

He says athletic instincts. IMO that is way different than an athletic QB. If you go with a QB that has athletic instincts, IMO that is a guy who is a dynamic football player. WHo do you think was more dynamic, Joe Montana or Vince Young? Joe obviously. Walsh explained the difference about this and someone found it here a while back. But by athletic instincts I'm guessing making throws that hit WRs in stride, dropping back with good footwork, etc. I mean Peyton and Brady aren't athletic like VY or Cam but if you said they had athletic instincts you'd be correct. They have good footwork and move around in the pocket like they're light on their feet even if they're slow in a foot race.

I'm honestly not sure if any of those guys have the instincts Harbaugh is talking about. He also said they needed to be accurate etc. So athleticism is not the sole thing here, otherwise you could put Usain Bolt at QB. Luck was a good athlete but not Cam, but my guess is if you asked Harbaugh who he'd want he'd pick Luck 11 times out of 10.

They're also going to need to learn how to drop back and play in a pro style offense and command the huddle. Newton is nowhere close to doing that yet. His reads are simplified and he throws into larger windows that won't be there in the NFL, plus his mechanics are bad. Gabbert is a better QB prospect but I'm not sure he's as accurate as Harbaugh would like. It's possible he could like Locker though, who is inconsistent as heck but has taken some snaps under center and lead his team.

Don't forget that MM tweeted that Harbaugh was presented with scouting reports of Joey Harrington, David Garrard, and Romo in 2003 as the Raiders QB coach and he nailed all 3 of their futures. Garrard good, Romo really good, and Joey H. a bust. So he could go for a later round guy like a Stanzi, Dalton, or Ponder. That is honestly what I'd prefer.
oops, double post.

[ Edited by WillistheWall on Jan 8, 2011 at 01:32:46 ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I have a feeling we're going to pick Locker. Just a feeling. I think he'd well in WCO.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I have a feeling we're going to pick Locker. Just a feeling. I think he'd well in WCO.

Me, too. I don't really know why, but i have this feeling, too.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Cam Newton
Jake Locker
maybe Blaine Gabbert

I remember a SportsCentury on Joe Montana where Peter King recalled a time when he asked Bill Walsh what was the most important thing a QB needs to have in order to run his system. He stated that the most important thing is that if necessary, he needs to be able to escape the first rusher all by himself. Even if the guy is coming in free, he needs to be able to make him miss.

I agree with your assessment. I like the possibilities that Cam Newton offers and based on the timetable I presented, he wouldnt be the starter until mid 2012 at the earliest. The good news is that a football player does not have to be freakishly talented in order to run this system. We may end up drafting a player that is more NFL ready (pass rusher or CB) and getting the QB of the future later. Outside of Newton and what he can bring to the table with Harbaugh's coaching, there isn't another QB that sticks out to me as a 1st round pick, and there is enough talent available in the later rounds.

I also do not get the Locker love. If you are going to take a QB that raw, why Locker over Newton? I'm not buying the poor team excuse because Auburn didn't look so great until Cam took over.
Originally posted by Dino:
Originally posted by E-49er:
I think Andy Dalton and Kellen Moore both would be very good west coast QB's. they are both smart, mobile and are accurate. Best of all, I don't think either would require a first round pick.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Cam Newton
Jake Locker
maybe Blaine Gabbert

I remember a SportsCentury on Joe Montana where Peter King recalled a time when he asked Bill Walsh what was the most important thing a QB needs to have in order to run his system. He stated that the most important thing is that if necessary, he needs to be able to escape the first rusher all by himself. Even if the guy is coming in free, he needs to be able to make him miss.

I agree with your assessment. I like the possibilities that Cam Newton offers and based on the timetable I presented, he wouldnt be the starter until mid 2012 at the earliest. The good news is that a football player does not have to be freakishly talented in order to run this system. We may end up drafting a player that is more NFL ready (pass rusher or CB) and getting the QB of the future later. Outside of Newton and what he can bring to the table with Harbaugh's coaching, there isn't another QB that sticks out to me as a 1st round pick, and there is enough talent available in the later rounds.

I also do not get the Locker love. If you are going to take a QB that raw, why Locker over Newton? I'm not buying the poor team excuse because Auburn didn't look so great until Cam took over.

AWW! You read my mind. I just said the same thing in other thread. Gabbert is good but he probably won't be around at #7 so if we don't use it to take Newton we will take the best of Amukamara, Miller or Quinn in the first. There is a big pool of QBs in rounds 2-5; Dalton, Devlin, Kaepernick, Locker, Ponder, Stanzi to name a few and I am going to put my faith in Harbaugh and Baalke combining their evaluations to find us the best QB in the draft, even if it means reaching for the guy a round earlier or swapping picks to get him.

I haven't watched any of these players but Kapernick and Stanzi and I really don't like Stanzi, I know he can play but I just don't see it panning out and same with Locker, every time I've had a chance to watch him he doesn't seem to go through all of his reads and just takes off running.

I'm high as hell on Dalton with him a 4 year started and proven play maker but he lacks height and I don't want to have to deal with the same issues we watched Troy have with seeing over the linemen.

Devlin will get both +'s and -'s for going the "Joe Flacco route". People will undoubtedly compare the two and it could end up hurting his stock. I've onlyed watched SportsCenter and Youtube videos of this guy but he impresses.

Kaepernick is probably identical in size to Joe Flacco and he could stand to put on 5-10 pounds but with his intangibles and leadership he is quickly becoming my late round favorite.

Ponder is a bad idea with good intentions so to speak. A big time leader and he is big for his body but he lacks height and 3 injuries on his resume, a right shoulder injury that caused him to miss the final 1/3rd of the the '09 season, the usual concussion bug and now right elbow is hurt as as well. I wont take a QB to the bank with 2 big injuries to his throwing arm that he sustained before his pro days even start. Not my guy at all.

Bottom line is I see Harbaugh either drafting Newton in the first or Kaepernick in the middle to late rounds. His brother John joked that we will end up having eerily similar teams and in my opinion that will start at the QB position.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Me, too. I don't really know why, but i have this feeling, too.

I think so as well. i wonder how well locker would have performed if locker was the qb at stanford.
the guy we need has to be smart and a hardworker, a leader, accurate, and athletic with quick feet. We can polish mechanics but these are the neccesities.

[ Edited by philosoraptor on Jan 8, 2011 at 10:57:02 ]
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Cam Newton
Jake Locker
maybe Blaine Gabbert

AWW! You read my mind. I just said the same thing in other thread. Gabbert is good but he probably won't be around at #7 so if we don't use it to take Newton we will take the best of Amukamara, Miller or Quinn in the first. There is a big pool of QBs in rounds 2-5; Dalton, Devlin, Kaepernick, Locker, Ponder, Stanzi to name a few and I am going to put my faith in Harbaugh and Baalke combining their evaluations to find us the best QB in the draft, even if it means reaching for the guy a round earlier or swapping picks to get him.

I haven't watched any of these players but Kapernick and Stanzi and I really don't like Stanzi, I know he can play but I just don't see it panning out and same with Locker, every time I've had a chance to watch him he doesn't seem to go through all of his reads and just takes off running.

I'm high as hell on Dalton with him a 4 year started and proven play maker but he lacks height and I don't want to have to deal with the same issues we watched Troy have with seeing over the linemen.

Devlin will get both +'s and -'s for going the "Joe Flacco route". People will undoubtedly compare the two and it could end up hurting his stock. I've onlyed watched SportsCenter and Youtube videos of this guy but he impresses.

Kaepernick is probably identical in size to Joe Flacco and he could stand to put on 5-10 pounds but with his intangibles and leadership he is quickly becoming my late round favorite.

Ponder is a bad idea with good intentions so to speak. A big time leader and he is big for his body but he lacks height and 3 injuries on his resume, a right shoulder injury that caused him to miss the final 1/3rd of the the '09 season, the usual concussion bug and now right elbow is hurt as as well. I wont take a QB to the bank with 2 big injuries to his throwing arm that he sustained before his pro days even start. Not my guy at all.

Bottom line is I see Harbaugh either drafting Newton in the first or Kaepernick in the middle to late rounds. His brother John joked that we will end up having eerily similar teams and in my opinion that will start at the QB position.

I am too
Andy Dalton #14 QB

2010 STATS
RATING YARDS TOUCHDOWNS
166.48 2,857 27
CAREER STATS
YARDS TOUCHDOWNS
10,314 71

Birth Date October 29, 1987
Hometown KATY, TX
Height 6-3
Weight 220 lbs.
Age 23
Class Senior

ProfileStatsSplitsGame Log

Stats Overview Passing
YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
2007 222 371 2459 59.8 6.63 70 10 11 16 118.48
2008 182 307 2242 59.3 7.30 65 11 5 14 129.19
2009 199 323 2756 61.6 8.53 75 23 8 12 151.83
2010 209 316 2857 66.1 9.04 93 27 6 8 166.48
2010 Regular Season Game Log Passing Rushing
DATE OPP RESULT CMP ATT YDS CMP% LNG TD INT RAT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
9/4 Oregon State W 30-21 17 27 175 63.0 52 1 2 114.81 15 64 4.3 12 2
9/11 Tennessee Tech W 62-7 15 21 182 71.4 32 1 0 159.95 5 23 4.6 19 1
9/18 Baylor W 45-10 21 23 267 91.3 37 2 0 217.52 4 26 6.5 13 0
9/24 @Southern Methodist W 41-24 14 26 174 53.8 41 1 2 107.37 7 43 6.1 14 0
10/2 @Colorado State W 27-0 11 24 109 45.8 39 1 0 97.74 10 67 6.7 16 0
10/9 Wyoming W 45-0 14 17 270 82.4 50 3 0 274.00 4 42 10.5 15 0
10/16 Brigham Young W 31-3 24 36 273 66.7 35 4 0 167.03 7 16 2.3 20 0
10/23 Air Force W 38-7 11 20 185 55.0 38 1 1 139.20 7 93 13.3 47 1
10/30 @UNLV W 48-6 16 23 252 69.6 54 2 0 190.30 6 30 5.0 18 1
11/6 @Utah W 47-7 21 26 355 80.8 93 3 0 233.54 5 14 2.8 5 0
11/13 San Diego State W 40-35 21 36 240 58.3 38 4 1 145.45 6 -3 -0.5 8 0
11/27 @New Mexico W 66-17 9 14 156 64.3 45 3 0 228.60 1 -8 -8.0 0 0
2010 Postseason Game Log Passing Rushing
BOWL OPP RESULT CMP ATT YDS CMP% LNG TD INT RAT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
ROSE BOWL GAME PRESENTED BY VIZIO Wisconsin W 21-19 15 23 219 65.2 44 1 0 159.55 9 28 3.1 11 1

Other Players
Roster: A. AdamsC. AtterberryM. BerryJ. BoyceL. BrockJ. BrownM. BrownS. BryantC. CarterS. CarterJ. CatalanoJ. CavnessC. ClayD. CorbettA. DaltonS. DawsonA. DeanR. DeckR. DenucciW. DilleM. DunnR. EvansJ. FortE. FroschC. FullerY. GallegosE. GrantS. HallA. HicksR. HightowerL. HodgesW. JamesB. JohnsonJ. JonesA. KeltonJ. KerleyW. LeissP. McDonaldD. O'ConnellC. PachallC. PattersonB. PizorJ. RoseR. SettleK. SharplesL. ShiversS. ShuttD. SmithM. TuckerE. WesleyG. WinsettJ. Young
Team: Air ForceBrigham YoungColorado StateNew MexicoSan Diego StateTCUUNLVUtahWyoming