LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Would you draft Andrew Luck this year for next year?

Would you draft Andrew Luck this year for next year?

I was listening to Mike and Mike on ESPN radio this morning, and thought to ask this question here.

Knowing that he is staying in school now. Would you draft Andrew Luck, say in the 1st or 2nd round, and hold his draft rights for a year, and sign him after next year?

It is possible to do this, but would you do it? If not what round? Being that alot of us were willing to give up a slew of picks to pick him at, we would only give up one pick and wait.

Would you do it? I would take a shot at a 3rd.

Discuss.
I'm not sure I understand, you can draft the 'rights' to a player before they've declared for the draft???
You can't
Hey the Mikes are saying you could.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Hey the Mikes are saying you could.

You still can't
Wait hold the phone! We need to find out about this. I would make Luck the 7th overall pick or trade up to do this if its possible.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Wait hold the phone! We need to find out about this. I would make Luck the 7th overall pick or trade up to do this if its possible.

thats what I am saying!

They were talking about it like you could. Im on the cpu on a limited basis. So I cant look it up.

Anybody, can you provide a link that shows you can or cant? They were on the show talking it as FACT that you can. I know it has been done in the past.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
I'm pretty sure you can't draft a guy that has not entered the draft.
I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning and never heard them say that. and you can't draft a guy that's not in the draft.
I don't think this is correct. Remember last year when Crabtree held out. There was talk that he would hold out all year and simply enter the draft the following year screwing us out of our pick.

Originally posted by lamontb:
I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning and never heard them say that. and you can't draft a guy that's not in the draft.

last hour of the show....I swear they were talking about this.

Its whatever...my bad

Mods Lock This Please
If the NFL allowed this the draft would become a farce. Mike and Mike must have been drinking if they actually tried to suggest this could be done.
I have no link backing me up, but don't you think teams would have been doing this for years if you could do it? Draft guys in the 5th-7th rounds who are freshmen knowing they will be studs. Yeahhh, I think you either misheard or Mike.Mike misspoke.
Goodell: "And with the 7th overall pick in the 2012 Draft, the San Francisco 49ers Select... wait wtf??? Andrew Luck Senior Stanford University for next year???"

Other 31 NFL Team Owners:

Jed: Someone Get me those Mike and Mike b*****ds on the phone!
that's pretty lame if you can do that. also, what if he elected to go back for his RS Senior year. that team would be hosed since, i'm guessing, that would only hold value for one year even if possible.
Share 49ersWebzone