There are 209 users in the forums

Why are oeople so focused on what system the QB is from?

• sfout
  • Veteran
I keep reading "I'm so tired of spread attack QBs" or "I don't want another development project". Too bad because no matter where you look that is all that we will get this year. Even the top flight guys: Mallett and Gabbert need work, Newton at least thinks pass first unlike a Locker who seems to be a first read then run kind of guy. Later guys like Ponder, Devlin, Stanzi and Dalton will all need work as well.

Sure Alex came from a Spread attack offense but the fact is without Luck no first round talent QB comes from a "pro style" offense.
Gabbert is in a spread system at Mizzou.
Mallet is in a spread system at Arkansas
Locker is in some sort of option/spread offense at UW

Get over it and realize that at least 3/4's of QBs come from a spread attack. Every QB has to adjust to the pro level and we will undoubtedly end up drafting a QB from a spread attack.

If we land Harbaugh I'm sure he wont go the "best qb available" route and he will evaluate all the middle round QBs as well and pick which one he can develop in the best way.

[ Edited by sfout on Jan 6, 2011 at 23:58:22 ]
Locker= pro system
Ponder= pro system
Devlin= semi pro system
mallett= pro system
dalton= pro system
pryor= semi pro system
stanzi= pro system
tyrod taylor= pro system
mcelroy= pro system

Seems like we got some options
It's not as important as made out to be here on the WZ. Bradford was a shotgun, spread guy. But he is very, very accurate. You want somebody who is accurate and reads the field well.

Alex was Mr. Hesitation and Mr. Unsure of Himself. Plus because of the hesitation he throws late, high, off target etc. That was the Alex problems mostly.

Get the ball out quickly, make the right read and be accurate. That's what you need whatever the system they come from.
Originally posted by spizzy:
Locker= pro system
Ponder= pro system
Devlin= semi pro system
mallett= pro system
dalton= pro system
pryor= semi pro system
stanzi= pro system
tyrod taylor= pro system
mcelroy= pro system

Mallett and Dalton have done a huge amount of shotgun, spread. I'm not sure I could call their offenses pure Pro Style.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Locker= pro system
Ponder= pro system
Devlin= semi pro system
mallett= pro system
dalton= pro system
pryor= semi pro system
stanzi= pro system
tyrod taylor= pro system
mcelroy= pro system

Mallett and Dalton have done a huge amount of shotgun, spread. I'm not sure I could call their offenses pure Pro Style.

Mallett drops back from center and hands the ball off quite a bit though too. Dont forget that Petrino was an NFL coach at one point.
Locker= pro system
Ponder= pro system
Devlin= semi pro system
mallett= pro system
dalton= pro system
pryor= semi pro system
stanzi= pro system
tyrod taylor= pro system
mcelroy= pro system

Really? From what I saw, Mallett was mostly in a pro-style under center until Arkansas was in a hurry up or 2 minute type deal or they were down by a lot. I saw a couple TCU games and Dalton was definitely under center and they had a nice little power run game
Locker= pro system
Ponder= pro system
Devlin= semi pro system
mallett= pro system
dalton= pro system
pryor= semi pro system
stanzi= pro system
tyrod taylor= pro system
mcelroy= pro system

Really? From what I saw, Mallett was mostly in a pro-style under center until Arkansas was in a hurry up or 2 minute type deal or they were down by a lot. I saw a couple TCU games and Dalton was definitely under center and they had a nice little power run game

For the most part you are right about Mallett and Dalton runs some option stuff at TCU but TCU does everything. under center, shotgun, they run the option at times, etc. So you are half right about Dalton. He has experience dropping back.
Locker= pro system
Ponder= pro system
Devlin= semi pro system
mallett= pro system
dalton= pro system
pryor= semi pro system
stanzi= pro system
tyrod taylor= pro system
mcelroy= pro system

I'm not saying the guys never get under the center. They do howerver spend enormous portions of many games sitting back in the shotgun with the field spread. Those 2 in particular. Mallet and Dalton are mostly shotgun guys in college. I'm not saying they can't take a snap from center or won't be able to in the pros. But they have spent a huge amount of time back there.
Locker= pro system
Ponder= pro system
Devlin= semi pro system
mallett= pro system
dalton= pro system
pryor= semi pro system
stanzi= pro system
tyrod taylor= pro system
mcelroy= pro system

I'm not saying the guys never get under the center. They do howerver spend enormous portions of many games sitting back in the shotgun with the field spread. Those 2 in particular. Mallet and Dalton are mostly shotgun guys in college. I'm not saying they can't take a snap from center or won't be able to in the pros. But they have spent a huge amount of time back there.

Yeah I guess its not as big of an issue with them whereas a guy like Gabbert has no experience under center
Originally posted by sfout:
I keep reading "I'm so tired of spread attack QBs" or "I don't want another development project". Too bad because no matter where you look that is all that we will get this year. Even the top flight guys: Mallett and Gabbert need work, Newton at least thinks pass first unlike a Locker who seems to be a first read then run kind of guy. Later guys like Ponder, Devlin, Stanzi and Dalton will all need work as well.

Sure Alex came from a Spread attack offense but the fact is without Luck no first round talent QB comes from a "pro style" offense.
Gabbert is in a spread system at Mizzou.
Mallet is in a spread system at Arkansas
Locker is in some sort of option/spread offense at UW

Get over it and realize that at least 3/4's of QBs come from a spread attack. Every QB has to adjust to the pro level and we will undoubtedly end up drafting a QB from a spread attack.

If we land Harbaugh I'm sure he wont go the "best qb available" route and he will evaluate all the middle round QBs as well and pick which one he can develop in the best way.
right, but people say it because there are other, 'slower' people who dont realize it. They see Colt brennan pass for 5000 yards and go WOW HES BE AWESOME IN THE NFL. That's all.

Where is McElroy slated to go? I wouldn't mind picking him up as a backup. Stanzi would be my 1st choice out of the available QBs.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Locker= pro system
Ponder= pro system
Devlin= semi pro system
mallett= pro system
dalton= pro system
pryor= semi pro system
stanzi= pro system
tyrod taylor= pro system
mcelroy= pro system

Yeah I guess its not as big of an issue with them whereas a guy like Gabbert has no experience under center

I really don't want Gabbert and would only be okay with us spending our first rounder on Mallett. That is if we absolutely wanted a first round QB though. I'm really bigger fan of the idea of drafting Dalton, Devlin, or Stanzi with a later pick and giving them time to ease in to things. We need immediate impact players on our defense and with players like Jonathon Joseph saying they want to stay in their current digs I don't see us getting a premiere CB or DE in free agency.

Also to the guy who just wrote name=pro offense 8 times you are being very vague. Petrino's offense is named and I quote "power spread" with another word or two thrown in. Mallett lines up under center because of his massive height. Most college QBs are 6'2 or 6'3 and coaches find it easier to have them get a wide view of the field from 5 yards deep with all their linemen down. My main point is most college QBs spend the majority of their snaps lined up in shotgun or 5wide sets and fans need to realize that just because he is in shotgun 60% of the time it doesn't make him a bad player.

[ Edited by sfout on Jan 7, 2011 at 01:04:50 ]
I think Alex Smith has A LOT to do with the idea that a QB from a spread offense will struggle in the NFL. The spread makes it easier on the QB's to put up big numbers. The truth is it doesn't matter what system a kid comes. There are so many factors that go into a QB failing or succeeding, the least of which is what system he ran in college.
Originally posted by sfout:
Locker= pro system
Ponder= pro system
Devlin= semi pro system
mallett= pro system
dalton= pro system
pryor= semi pro system
stanzi= pro system
tyrod taylor= pro system
mcelroy= pro system

I really don't want Gabbert and would only be okay with us spending our first rounder on Mallett. That is if we absolutely wanted a first round QB though. I'm really bigger fan of the idea of drafting Dalton, Devlin, or Stanzi with a later pick and giving them time to ease in to things. We need immediate impact players on our defense and with players like Jonathon Joseph saying they want to stay in their current digs I don't see us getting a premiere CB or DE in free agency.

Also to the guy who just wrote name=pro offense 8 times you are being very vague. Petrino's offense is named and I quote "power spread" with another word or two thrown in. Mallett lines up under center because of his massive height. Most college QBs are 6'2 or 6'3 and coaches find it easier to have them get a wide view of the field from 5 yards deep with all their linemen down. My main point is most college QBs spend the majority of their snaps lined up in shotgun or 5wide sets and fans need to realize that just because he is in shotgun 60% of the time it doesn't make him a bad player.

Uhh what? It is harder to line up under center the taller you are, so that doesn't make any sense. Petrino is a former NFL coach and his offense at Arkansas has been slightly adjusted to the college game (some spread formations) but still has a heavy portion of plays under center. Even if it isnt a perfect pro-style, he still has a good amount of exposure to the type of offense he will run in the NFL as opposed to Gabbert who will be in for a real shock. It happens year after year
Share 49ersWebzone