There are 288 users in the forums

Andrew Luck staying in college

Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by jojomellon:
First off, terrible move by Luck by staying in college. He just gave up 50+mil guaranteed for a degree...Let's talk hypothetically, if he has a Jake Locker type year, he might fall late first, early 2nd round. You can't compare Luck to Bradford. Luck has only had 1 good year, while Bradford had two fantastic years at OK. So let's just say that he turns out to be a bust, I really doubt that that degree of his will make him at least 50+mil over his lifetime.

Why is he coming back? Harbaugh is most likely not going back to Stanford, and even if he did, I really don't think that Stanford has ANY shot at at winning the National Championship. This degree part just doesn't make sense. Sure, you can say that, "well, Steve Young stayed in school to get his degree", or whoever else, but nobody was making that much money then, and certainly not rookies.

Carolina would've been a perfect fit for him. They have a really good OL, a great running game, and a defense that can be a force if motivated. Their front office has shown over the past 2 decades, that they can bring in talent, and also draft exceptionally well. What more would a rookie QB want? Once again, terrible move by Luck. Whether he turns out to be a HOF or not, there was basically no reason for him to stay in school.
#1 some people value an education because they realize football may not pan out.
#2 hes not turning down 50 mil guarenteed because the new CBA will probably feature a rookie slotting system.
He's not going to have a Jake Locker type year because he's not a prospect based mostly on potential like Locker was. Luck has proved he can play and theres no reason he wont continue to show that.

Like I said, if football doesn't pan out he would still have over 50mil. Rookie cap is just a speculation, and as it stands right now, it's still in place, and nothing would've changed that this year.
Um, yes it would. Theres no CBA in place at all right now, so there is a change coming, period. If there isnt, there will be a lockout. So coming out during a lockout would be even dumber for Luck. Peyton Manning stayed his senior year, hows that working out?

well according to many other analysts, it's not, so i'll go with that for now until there's a different word. plus, many other people on ESPN are saying the same thing i said about the money situation. and, don't you think its a little early to compare Peyton to Andrew Luck, who only had 1 good year in college and one of the best coaches in college football? it could be just me i guess.

Which analysts? Pretty much everyone from the players union to the owners has said that rookie slotting is one of the biggest priorities of the new CBA. There is not cba in place this year, which means rookies wont receive a dime until there is. Where is all this fantasy money that Luck is losing?

And you pretty much make my point, if you dont think Luck is as good as manning, and he only had 'one good year'(even though he's had two), isnt that all the more reason to stay in school and continue to improve so that when he does come out, he's more ready to handle NFL defenses?

[ Edited by jojomellon on Jan 6, 2011 at 13:52:27 ]
Originally posted by communist:

Um, yes it would. Theres no CBA in place at all right now, so there is a change coming, period. If there isnt, there will be a lockout. So coming out during a lockout would be even dumber for Luck. Peyton Manning stayed his senior year, hows that working out?
he is no.1 right now...he cant win anything by staying in college. either he can hold his level or he will lose.

Lose what? So what if hes draft 10th over all next year? He will have another year of experience under his belt to better brace himself for the change in level of play he will be put through. He's going to be an NFL starter whether he comes out this year or next. Why not finish your degree, and become a better QB in the process? Again, it worked out ok for Peyton Manning who was more than ready to come out in 97.
look at taylor mays, look at jake locker...i could mention a lot more names if i would do some research. u dont know whether peyton was an exception of the rule.

he is no.1 right now...he cant win anything by staying in college. either he can hold his level or he will lose.

Lose what? So what if hes draft 10th over all next year? He will have another year of experience under his belt to better brace himself for the change in level of play he will be put through. He's going to be an NFL starter whether he comes out this year or next. Why not finish your degree, and become a better QB in the process? Again, it worked out ok for Peyton Manning who was more than ready to come out in 97.
look at taylor mays, look at jake locker...i could mention a lot more names if i would do some research. u dont know whether peyton was an exception of the rule.
But, whats your point? Taylor Mays is in the NFL. If Luck has confidence in his abilities, what does he have to lose? Money? Not as much anymore with a rookie cap coming this year. What is he losing? Im not sure what your point is with those examples. Hes not risking anything other than Draft status, and that'd be a gift to be taken by the 22nd team over the 1st team, wouldnt it? I see zero downside to this decision.
Now, if it was last year, where he had a chance to get paid, I could see an argument, but there is none this year.

[ Edited by jojomellon on Jan 6, 2011 at 14:04:11 ]
First off, terrible move by Luck by staying in college. He just gave up 50+mil guaranteed for a degree...Let's talk hypothetically, if he has a Jake Locker type year, he might fall late first, early 2nd round. You can't compare Luck to Bradford. Luck has only had 1 good year, while Bradford had two fantastic years at OK. So let's just say that he turns out to be a bust, I really doubt that that degree of his will make him at least 50+mil over his lifetime.

Why is he coming back? Harbaugh is most likely not going back to Stanford, and even if he did, I really don't think that Stanford has ANY shot at at winning the National Championship. This degree part just doesn't make sense. Sure, you can say that, "well, Steve Young stayed in school to get his degree", or whoever else, but nobody was making that much money then, and certainly not rookies.

Carolina would've been a perfect fit for him. They have a really good OL, a great running game, and a defense that can be a force if motivated. Their front office has shown over the past 2 decades, that they can bring in talent, and also draft exceptionally well. What more would a rookie QB want? Once again, terrible move by Luck. Whether he turns out to be a HOF or not, there was basically no reason for him to stay in school.
#1 some people value an education because they realize football may not pan out.
#2 hes not turning down 50 mil guarenteed because the new CBA will probably feature a rookie slotting system.
He's not going to have a Jake Locker type year because he's not a prospect based mostly on potential like Locker was. Luck has proved he can play and theres no reason he wont continue to show that.

Like I said, if football doesn't pan out he would still have over 50mil. Rookie cap is just a speculation, and as it stands right now, it's still in place, and nothing would've changed that this year.

well according to many other analysts, it's not, so i'll go with that for now until there's a different word. plus, many other people on ESPN are saying the same thing i said about the money situation. and, don't you think its a little early to compare Peyton to Andrew Luck, who only had 1 good year in college and one of the best coaches in college football? it could be just me i guess.

Which analysts? Pretty much everyone from the players union to the owners has said that rookie slotting is one of the biggest priorities of the new CBA. There is not cba in place this year, which means rookies wont receive a dime until there is. Where is all this fantasy money that Luck is losing?

And you pretty much make my point, if you dont think Luck is as good as manning, and he only had 'one good year'(even though he's had two), isnt that all the more reason to stay in school and continue to improve so that when he does come out, he's more ready to handle NFL defenses?

It is a big priority but it's not in place yet, and it might now be, it's not a sure thing that the players coming out in this draft won't get payed.

And, I would not consider 13 TD's 4 INT, 56% completion a good year..32 TD's 6 INT, and a 70% completion is a good year. Manning had 2 above average years, and 1 great year, Bradford had 1 great year and 1 amazing year, he hasn't proven that he's either of those players yet. Do it consistently, I thought by now we would all know that word after watching Alex.
who said that the upcoming draft will include a rookie salary cap?

It is a big priority but it's not in place yet, and it might now be, it's not a sure thing that the players coming out in this draft won't get payed.

And, I would not consider 13 TD's 4 INT, 56% completion a good year..32 TD's 6 INT, and a 70% completion is a good year. Manning had 2 above average years, and 1 great year, Bradford had 1 great year and 1 amazing year, he hasn't proven that he's either of those players yet. Do it consistently, I thought by now we would all know that word after watching Alex.
Umm, rookies arent going to get paid until a CBA is in place. period. Dont know why you keep thinking theres a chance they will. They wont. A new CBA WILL BE SIGNED before these guys sign, if it isnt, there will be no football. Do you not understand how that works? And you are now arguing something besides the point, stick to the topic. Isnt Luck going to 'do it consistently' by staying in school another year? You argue one thing then you make a point against it. I dont get it.
who said that the upcoming draft will include a rookie salary cap?

It will. The rookies arent going to sign deals without a CBA in place. You think the new CBA isnt going to include a rookie cap? You're dreaming.

Umm, rookies arent going to get paid until a CBA is in place. period. Dont know why you keep thinking theres a chance they will. They wont. A new CBA WILL BE SIGNED before these guys sign, if it isnt, there will be no football. Do you not understand how that works? And you are now arguing something besides the point, stick to the topic. Isnt Luck going to 'do it consistently' by staying in school another year? You argue one thing then you make a point against it. I dont get it.
the draft will take place whether a cba is reached or not...and you dont know whether luck will success in a new system, you just dont.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I'd jump off a bridge if I was a Panthers fan

the draft will take place whether a cba is reached or not...and you dont know whether luck will success in a new system, you just dont.

The draft will, didnt say it wouldnt. But those guys wont get signed without a cba in place. Try to follow along. You think Luck is going to be awful without Harbaugh? Maybe he will? Better for the NFL to know that prior to him coming out, no? Maybe Luck has , you know, CONFIDENCE IN HIMSELF, that hes not a one year wonder(Locker) and doesnt fear doing a faceplant. You know, Bradford stayed in school when he could have come out in 09, ended up playing 2 games, and STILL WAS THE FIRST OVERALL PICK. Pretty much negating this argument, no?

what?

have you not seen Luck play? everyone is saying how he's the best prospect to come out of college in 10+ years

The draft will, didnt say it wouldnt. But those guys wont get signed without a cba in place. desperate teams will sign guys like luck or green at all costs...look how desperate the fins are Try to follow along. You think Luck is going to be awful without Harbaugh? Maybe he will? Better for the NFL to know that prior to him coming out, no? where is the advantage for luck in that case??? Maybe Luck has , you know, CONFIDENCE IN HIMSELF, that hes not a one year wonder(Locker) and doesnt fear doing a faceplant. if you are talking about one-year wonders, you should consider newton You know, Bradford stayed in school when he could have come out in 09, ended up playing 2 games, and STILL WAS THE FIRST OVERALL PICK. Pretty much negating this argument, no?
bradford's luck was that his qb-class was thin...luck will compete with barkley. and you dont know how many other prospects want come out next year, who are REAL 1st-round prospects.
Well that's good news because we get the #1 pick in 2012...
Can anyone say Matt Lineart or Jack Locker and with a rookie cap coming for 2012. Dumb move, losing millions of dollars+ who will be next yrs #1 overall pick Buff, Cin. I don't want Harbaugh no more. I thought we could get a package with Luck and him.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Smart move, I wouldn't live in North Carolina for millions either.
Share 49ersWebzone