There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

A realistic mock

Gabbert??? You're kidding right? Aren't you guys sick and tired of developmental projects from a spread system??? Who wants to wait any longer?? I want winners now!!! You guys have to remember the NFC West is competitively the worst division. That situation requires us to GO THE EXTRA MILE. If LUCK is completely impossible to reach even in trying to go the extra mile, then we go best player available and that would be Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara, or some other freak. GABBERT??? C'mon now!!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Couple notes on QB's: Unless both QB's go on a major crime spree, both Gabbert and Locker will be first round picks. Both have great physical skills, and scouts drool over the prospect of a team working with those skills. I expect both to put on a good show at their campus and personal workouts.

I have reservations about Locker being our franchise QB, but he's not going to be there in the second round. Gabbert is pretty much a top ten lock. So many teams have major QB issues (Panthers, Cards, Niners, Titans, Redskins) that there could be a run on them inside the top ten picks.

Tell me why Gabbert is even in the conversation as a top 5 pick. I just don't get the attraction.
greg salas from hawaii in the 4th
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
Gabbert??? You're kidding right? Aren't you guys sick and tired of developmental projects from a spread system??? Who wants to wait any longer?? I want winners now!!! You guys have to remember the NFC West is competitively the worst division. That situation requires us to GO THE EXTRA MILE. If LUCK is completely impossible to reach even in trying to go the extra mile, then we go best player available and that would be Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara, or some other freak. GABBERT??? C'mon now!!

Most of the mocks I have been following have four QBs going in the top 12. Gabbert is listed as high as #5 and many mocks have him going to the 9ers at 7. I don't see it either but that's the prognostication.

But taking a QB to develop doesn't mean the 9ers can't go after a FA. I would take a DE/OLB or CB with the 7th or trade down. But what do I know?
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:

dont watch to much college football never seen gabbert play. honestly IDK but wasnt bradford in a spread system? anyway i agree we need luck and somemore luck!
HC - harbaugh

resign alex: if he cant succeed under harbaugh...hes done...why waste picks on orton or palmer....dont think vy or mcnabb are any good...allows us to draft a guy like stanzi later instead of drafting someone like locker, newton, mallett possibly to early at 7
(not the only resigns just focusing on qb since we def need one in draft either way)

we usually dont do much in offseason...i think its safe to say we can and should land either bailey, joseph, cromartie, or rogers

allows us to restructure clements move to safety...at this point i think he is close to our defense and would like to resign...might not have many options otherwise....still gets to start which appeals to him at safety

round 1:
since signed a new starting cb go after bowers, dareus or quinn....whichever available in that order

round 2: (in either option in 1 we have our cb)
jonathan baldwin: we need another WR...maybe spending too high a pick but has great hands...can go up and get the ball which we dont have other then vernon. not a great route runner or fast but sure hands and height big ++++

round 3:
casey matthews: nasty in his own right....hopefully his whole families skills followed him as well...in the pros that is

round 4:
1st pick: stanzi: get a qb to groom in case alex yet again doesnt succeed...need depth either way could be qb of future
2nd pick: sione fua: replacement and or depth...familiar with harbaugh already
Originally posted by Hawaii49erfan:

Exactly! Runs like this after the catch!
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
This is based on www.drafttake.com with some changes of my own:

1) Da'Quan Bower DE/OLB Clemson - Pass rusher we need
2) Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri - Developmental QB for the future (needs to be coached to be a pro style QB)
3) Rashad Carmichael CB VA Tech - Cover corner we need
4A) Terrance Tolliver WR LSU or Sione Fua NT Stanford - Let GM/Coach decide which one would be higher need
4B) Casey Matthews ILB Oregon or WR Titus Young See above

Your thoughts...........................

bowers isnt an olb--he is a 4-3 de
Originally posted by rspinale:
Gabbert will be a first round pick. He is projected as a top 10 right now. While its still early in the offseason I don't see him falling out of the first round

Just read the write up on WalterFootball for Gabbert:

"Gabbert is constantly out of shape, terribly inaccurate and the product of a gimmick offense. But because of his size, arm strength and upside, he's widely considered to be a top-10 prospect. I give up."

Haven't seen such a humorous comment in a while. Makes me wonder about them putting in the #7 spot.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Couple notes on QB's: Unless both QB's go on a major crime spree, both Gabbert and Locker will be first round picks. Both have great physical skills, and scouts drool over the prospect of a team working with those skills. I expect both to put on a good show at their campus and personal workouts.

I have reservations about Locker being our franchise QB, but he's not going to be there in the second round. Gabbert is pretty much a top ten lock. So many teams have major QB issues (Panthers, Cards, Niners, Titans, Redskins) that there could be a run on them inside the top ten picks.

Tell me why Gabbert is even in the conversation as a top 5 pick. I just don't get the attraction.

He's pretty much got all the tools: strong arm, good size, pretty good decision making, a lot of upside. He's still pretty raw, and will need a full year of time in the NFL to play, but there is a lot to work with for a team in need of a QB.

To me, I'm more interested in looking at free agency for our starter in 2011, and a mid-round guy to prepare down the road. I'm pretty high on Andy Dalton as great value down the board, especially if he is on the board in the third round.

To me, the Niners need to really look at CB, FS, OLB with their top two picks, with the option of a standout WR or DE in the first round. I've got Patrick Peterson pegged at number 7, but that was pre-Luck pull-out.
Originally posted by Hawaii49erfan:

That would be awesome. Id buy his jersey, the islands would have many more niners fans over night if that happened too
I like how every mock called "realistic" is automatically terribly unrealistic.
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
HC - harbaugh

resign alex: if he cant succeed under harbaugh...hes done...why waste picks on orton or palmer....dont think vy or mcnabb are any good...allows us to draft a guy like stanzi later instead of drafting someone like locker, newton, mallett possibly to early at 7
(not the only resigns just focusing on qb since we def need one in draft either way)

we usually dont do much in offseason...i think its safe to say we can and should land either bailey, joseph, cromartie, or rogers

allows us to restructure clements move to safety...at this point i think he is close to our defense and would like to resign...might not have many options otherwise....still gets to start which appeals to him at safety

round 1:
since signed a new starting cb go after bowers, dareus or quinn....whichever available in that order

round 2: (in either option in 1 we have our cb)
jonathan baldwin: we need another WR...maybe spending too high a pick but has great hands...can go up and get the ball which we dont have other then vernon. not a great route runner or fast but sure hands and height big ++++

round 3:
casey matthews: nasty in his own right....hopefully his whole families skills followed him as well...in the pros that is

round 4:
1st pick: stanzi: get a qb to groom in case alex yet again doesnt succeed...need depth either way could be qb of future
2nd pick: sione fua: replacement and or depth...familiar with harbaugh already

So you want to destroy another coaches career to bring back the Bust. Alex is no longer welcome here!
I think everybody is missing the point, I don't think the original poster was posting who he thought the 49ers would draft and in what round (I hope not atleast..). I think that his "big board", i.e. his incoming draft class power rankings. If not, then...horrible post, lol.

By the way, AJ Green over Tolliver everyday of the week, twice on sunday.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erShane:
I think everybody is missing the point, I don't think the original poster was posting who he thought the 49ers would draft and in what round (I hope not atleast..). I think that his "big board", i.e. his incoming draft class power rankings. If not, then...horrible post, lol.

By the way, AJ Green over Tolliver everyday of the week, twice on sunday.

That's what I thought too, until I realized it is actually the rounds lol.

People are complaining about gabbert being 2nd, I'm wondering how the heck we're planning on getting Bowers lol. He's no lower than 5th on the draft boards I've been looking at.(as high as #1 if panthers go defensive without luck, denver's also supposed to be looking for defense) Best pass rusher in the draft. Most sacks. Not sure about against the rush but we'd drive QB's nuts with smith on one side and bowers on the other.

But I think harbaugh finds a qb he has a hankering for, and depending on who it is we either draft down or grab him where we're at. I'd love to go BPA with a defensive guy or another WR, but I feel like harbaugh's gonna go nuts on making sure we've got a QB lol.