LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 175 users in the forums

Trade out of #7 to NE at #17

I usually hate to trade down but in this case I think we can make it work.

We swap our pick at #7 with NE's pick at #17 so NE can take the DE of their choice. They still have another first round pick.

We then get NE's pick in the 2nd round at #64. So trade is pretty close in point swap.
They have 2 picks in the 2nd and would keep their earlier pick in the 2nd.

At #17 we can take qb Jake Locker who was the #1 or #2 qb last year if he came out but since he had injuries this year he has dropped. I think with some good qb coaching he would be a great pro.

2nd Rd) Brandon Banks or Jimmy Smith (CB)
2nd RD NE's) Aldon Smith (OLB/DE)
3rd) Jared Crick (DE)
4th) Jacquizz Rodgers (RB)
4th) Greg Salas (WR)
5th) Brooks Reed (OLB)
6th) Clint Boling (OG)
6th Nick Bellore (ILB)
I think NE trades down usually, not up. They even traded down when they had the Niner's pick a couple years ago.
It's a thought. Taking Locker at that point would be better than taking him at #7. I also think you mean Brandon Burton CB out of Utah in the second.
Why not take Locker in the 3rd where he'll be available?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jojomellon:

This.
I don't trust our front office to not get raped by NE's.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
With so much QB talent available, Cincy sticking with Palmer and lack of QB need in the bottom half of the first round... I think Locker is the most likely to fall into the 2nd round.

[ Edited by okdkid on Jan 5, 2011 at 17:34:01 ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
It's a thought. Taking Locker at that point would be better than taking him at #7. I also think you mean Brandon Burton CB out of Utah in the second.

Or even better yet, why take Locker at all?
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I don't trust our front office to not get raped by NE's.

Are you joking or on crack? If you think he's gonna be there in the 3rd round you must not read any scouting reports or have watched him play.

All reports last year were very positive and had him as the top qb coming out this year. He got injured and it hurt his stats this year. Once he got healthy, he played much better. He has all the tools to be a very good qb in the NFL with the right coaching. He'd be perfect for the WCO!

We'll see in a few years time but besides Luck, I'd put more stock in him than the other qb's in this draft.

• mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rk1642:

Are you joking or on crack? If you think he's gonna be there in the 3rd round you must not read any scouting reports or have watched him play.

All reports last year were very positive and had him as the top qb coming out this year. He got injured and it hurt his stats this year. Once he got healthy, he played much better. He has all the tools to be a very good qb in the NFL with the right coaching. He'd be perfect for the WCO!

We'll see in a few years time but besides Luck, I'd put more stock in him than the other qb's in this draft.

2200 yards, 17 Td's 9ints, 55% pct is hardly impressive for a college player. I know stats isnt everything... but he innacurate as hell
I think its a great idea especially with Luck, Newton, Mallet, Locker, Gabbert all coming out. One of these will be available at 17 plus we can sign McNabb two yr deal and let the QB sit a yr like Rodgers did in Greenbay. We have a team that can win with McNabb right now

He was healthy both games vs. Nebraska. You know Brian Brohm was a top 10 pick before his senior year too. So hes perfect for the WCO despite having no accuracy?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
The dolpins pick at 15 I think so if Luck, Gabbert, Mallett go top 10 that only leaves Newton and Locker for the remainder of round 1 -- I highly doubt Locker will be around at 17.
I usually hate to trade down but in this case I think we can make it work.

We swap our pick at #7 with NE's pick at #17 so NE can take the DE of their choice. They still have another first round pick.

We then get NE's pick in the 2nd round at #64. So trade is pretty close in point swap.
They have 2 picks in the 2nd and would keep their earlier pick in the 2nd.

At #17 we can take qb Jake Locker who was the #1 or #2 qb last year if he came out but since he had injuries this year he has dropped. I think with some good qb coaching he would be a great pro.

2nd Rd) Brandon Banks or Jimmy Smith (CB)
2nd RD NE's) Aldon Smith (OLB/DE)
3rd) Jared Crick (DE)
4th) Jacquizz Rodgers (RB)
4th) Greg Salas (WR)
5th) Brooks Reed (OLB)
6th) Clint Boling (OG)
6th Nick Bellore (ILB)

After the combine, Jake Locker will not be there at 17.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Jan 5, 2011 at 17:16:17 ]
Share 49ersWebzone