There are 320 users in the forums

Draft evaluation pet peeves

Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Great post man! Almost as funny as the "So I was breaking down the film...." thread from I think last year in the War Room.

In all seriousness though, I'm guilty of #5 the most. But that's mostly because i don't have time to watch a ton of college football and I don't have access to game film so I have to do a lot of analysis based off of youtube videos, scouting reports, game write ups, stats etc. But I actually find you can find out a fair bit in youtube highlight videos. You can still get a good sense about a QB's release, pocket awareness and mobility, ball placement, footwork etc. If the highlights aren't all that impressive you can sure as hell know that this guy isn't very good in these areas.

Good point. Bad highlights=bad player. Good highlights=nothing
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
1. Comparing players based on school. All Stanford QBs are like Elway, all from USC are like Leinert, all from Deleware must be Flaaco

2. Comparing players based on race. All black QBs are alike, all white RBs and WRs are alike. Newton? He's the next McNaab/Vick!

3. Assesing player styles based on size. A 170 lb WRs is not neccisarily the same player as DeSean, and a 320 lb lineman isn't neccesarily a run blocker. All tall QBs don't play the same, and all light LBs aren't quick

4. Judging accuracy based on completion percentage. If you don't know why this is a problem I won't even bother. This one really bugs me

5. Youtube scouting. But he completed every pass in his highlight video! He looked amazing!

6. Making decisions from one game/play. Blew my mind how many people said "I don't want Gabbert anymore" after he threw 1 stupid pick. You don't want a QB who ever threw a pick? Good luck.

GREAT POST HOMIE ALL 6 OF THEM ARE DEAD ON
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
4. Judging accuracy based on completion percentage. If you don't know why this is a problem I won't even bother. This one really bugs me

I'll handle it.

When a guy transforms into CheckDown Charlie, as Alex Smith does every game, his completion percentage is obviously going to go up.

Share 49ersWebzone