LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

A Pointless MocK DrafT - 1/4/11

Mock Drafts are pretty much a shot in the dark. You never know when a GM will throw a curve ball by reaching, trades, guys falling, etc. I tried not to pay attention to any other mocks so forgive me if some picks feel like they're out of left field.

1. Carolina Panthers: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
A no-brainer, assuming he comes out, which would be a real rarity if he didn't. Carolina has a lot more talent than their record indicates. Gross is a probowl LT, Otah will be healthy and is a beast RT, Kalil at center(though he is a FA), 2 good RBs and a Probowl WR. Luck wont have a half bad situation to thrive in.

2. Denver Broncos: Marcell Dareus, DE, Alabama
The Broncos had the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL this year. Their secondary is very old but the D-Line is just awful. This may seem high for a 3-4 DE, especially since Tyson Jackson for KC was an awful pick 2 years ago, but Richard Seymour was a top 10 pick and Denver is just staving for any sort of talent on the D-line. Peterson is a big possibility as well.

3. Buffalo Bills: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
After spending half the year in the 3-4, the Bills moved back to a 4-3 down the stretch. They have no above average pass rushers on the team and even handed a broken down Shawn Merriman 4 mil in desperation. Bowers playing next to a recently red hot Kyle Williams will be a big help to the pass rush. QB is a need and it wouldn't surprise me if Gailey liked Cam Newton, but Fitzpatrick is also serviceable enough for another year if need be.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
I think the Bengals keep Palmer. He's been bad but Mike Brown is cheap, he's not going to want to pay premium money to an unproven QB at #4, and Marvin Lewis wants to move to more of a run first approach. Carlos Dunlap was an absolute beast, tallying 9.5 sacks in the last 8 games. Current starters Peko and Johnson are average, replacement level guys.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
I think AZ could go BPA on the defensive side of the ball. They have nothing at all at the OLB position so Quinn from UNC is a possibility, and a shutdown CB to pair with Rodgers-Cromartie is a smart pick as well. But QB is the most important position in the game and we saw that with AZ's drop off from Warner to Anderson/Hall/Skelton. I see all of Mallett's flaws just like everyone else, but this is AZ, not an elite drafting team. Mallett's big arm would be a great match with Fitzgerald at WR.

6. Cleveland Browns: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
Browns could take almost anyone on the defensive side of the ball but it seems like Holmgren is hell bent on improving the offense and seems sure to hire an offensive minded head coach. The Browns had arguably the worst WRs in football this year. Robiskie started to come on at the end of the year but will never be higher than a number 2. Green makes a ton of sense and gives McCoy the best opportunity to succeed.

7. San Francisco 49ers: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
Pretty good fit, no? Clements is a pretty lock to be gone. CB looks like the biggest need on what's otherwise a solid defense. QB is a need no doubt, but I dont like the remaining prospects at the pick and a few options will be available, veteran wise, this offseason.

8. Tennessee Titans: Bruce Carter, OLB, UNC
This is assuming Bud Adams chooses to keep Vince Young over Jeff Fisher. They have no glaring holes on offense. They could stand to upgrade CB, OLB and DT. Maybe a little bit high for a pure 4-3 OLB but its definitely their biggest hole on the defense. Carter has the potential to be a real difference maker. A big DT like Paea is a possibility as well.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
The Cowboys pass defense has been very bad, and safety might be an even bigger need but this is a poor year for safety prospects. Prince should step in for Newman who is in his early 30s already and who's play has declined.

10. Washington Redskins: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
A team with a ton of needs. They have nothing at WR apart from Moss and he's a FA. I honestly think Shanahan will stick with Grossman if he cant land another QB via trade, so a WR will definitely help whoever he has a QB.

11. Houston Texans: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
With Wade Phillips probably coming in, Houston will switch to a 3-4. And they're actually not too badly equipped to make the change. Antonio Smith played End in AZ's 3-4, Mario Williams is a 295 lb End, and Phillips's 3-4 will make it so that he can still get after the QB. Cushing will move inside with DeMeco Ryans, and Connor Barwin and perhaps Mark Anderson will man the OLB positions. So NT is a giant need, and this may be a little bit of a reach, but its needed. Paea is a bit undersized for NT, but so was Jay Raitliff, and again in Phillips' 3-4, these linemen are still required to get after the QB.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
Favre's gone and so will be Jackson. I think Zigi Wylf would love this pick as he continues to try and get a new stadium built in Minnesota. Newton would be able to play on the turf and really maximize his playmaking ability with Percy Harvin and Adrian Peterson around him.

13. Detroit Lions: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
Lions may have really done themselves a disservice by winning themselves out of the top two CB spots. Schwartz seemed to like to get a lot out of no name DE's in Tenn and did so again this year with Avril, Jackson, and McBride, so a CB is the pick, even if it's a reach.

14. St. Louis Rams: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
Simple, best WR available for Bradford. They were able to use 4, very average, WR's this year to maximize the short passing game, but Jones will give them a real physical presence with number 1 potential.

15. Miami Dolphins: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Mizz
Chad Henne has badly regressed despite having 3 very good WR's, a decent run game, and two good Tackles on the line. Miami is almost certain to move on and fire Sparano and so a new coach will want his own QB.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
A big, physical pass rusher who would be a great fit for Jack Del Rio and a defense with two very good, young DTs in Knighton and Alualu.

17. New England (from Oak): Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, UNC
The Pats spent a 2nd rounder this year on Cunningham from Florida, and didn't get a ton out of him. Even if he does come on this year, they need a partner for him on the other side. Belichick isn't afraid to take a risk on a player with character concerns either.

18. San Diego Chargers: Anthony Costanzo, OT, Boston College
The Chargers have been searching for a RT for more than a few years now, and Constanzo could even move to the left side if McNeill leaves.

19. New York Giants: Mike Pouncey, G/C, Florida
The Giants are a team on paper with no real holes. They have dealt with a variety of injuries on the line this year. RG Seubert and C O'Hara are both getting up there in years and Pouncey would be a real nice fit for the Giants' running game.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal
With the first two draft picks of 2010 going towards DTs, the Bucs still have a pretty thin DE position. Greg White led the time with only 4.5 sacks and was benched late in the year.

21. Seattle Seahawks: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
The Marshawn Lynch reclamation project has been an utter failure. Ingram gives them a solid, if unspectacular runner to pair with speed back Justin Forsett. QB is a need but don't see them reaching for Locker or Devlin at this point.

22. Kansas City Chiefs: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
The KC defense came out of nowhere to really become a good unit under Romeo Crennell. Tamba Hali is an awesome pass rusher, but is a free agent, and they have no compliment to him.

23. Indianapolis Colts: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
The Colts line has been a real mess this year. Charlie Johnson is serviceable at LT but getting a real franchise LT would enable Johnson to move to G and really solidify the offensive line. DT is a major need as well but Bill Polian seems to never use a high pick on a DT.

24. Philadelphia Eagles: Travis Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma
With rookie Jamar Chaney really coming on as of late and looking like the MLB of the future, the Eagles could end the revolving door of young, average OLBs they've had of late. Plus starter Ernie Sims is a free agent.

25. Green Bay Packers: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
Ayers drops a bit and is a real steal for the Pack at 25. Across from Matthews they've had Frank Zombo and Erik Walden in addition to now injured Brad Jones. None are exceptional players and adding Ayers to that defense would be awesome.

26. New Orleans Saints: Cameron Heyward, DE, OSU
The Saints like to use a variety of defensive looks under Gregg Williams and besides Sedrick Ellis and Will Smith, could use some help on the line. Heyward can play inside and out and would give Williams a player he could do a lot with.

27. Chicago Bears: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
The Bears have one of the worst lines in football. 2008 1st rounder Chris Williams is now a guard and journeyman Frank Omiyale is now their left tackle. Carimi isn't an elite talent but is a midwest kid and would instantly upgrade this line in what is a down year for offensive line prospects.

28. New York Jets: Jon Baldwin, WR, Pitt
Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards are both free agents and Jerricho Cotchery has been injured and isn't really an explosive type receiver. Baldwin would give Sanchez a huge playmaking target to throw to.

29. Baltimore Ravens: Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
Ravens are very thin at CB, with a combination of young, unproven players and journeyman veterans. No brainer pick here.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers: DeMarcus Love, OT, Arkansas
Steelers have to go best offensive lineman available here. Pouncey has solidified the middle of the line but they lost both starting OTs this year. An upgrade for the line is an absolute must. If not Love here, any of the other remaining O-line prospects available.

31. Atlanta Falcons: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
A perfect fit for replacing Tony Gonzales who, if not done this year, won't play for more than another year. Ryan Broyles could be a possibility as well to upgrade over Michael Jenkins.

32. New England Patriots: DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma
After fixing the secondary and adding a lot of youth on the D-line, the Pats are pretty much stacked at every position(after having picked an OLB with their first pick). Green-Ellis has been solid but is just an average player. Adding a reliable running back to team with Woodhead would be a real boost to an already awesome offense.

Alright boys, flame away...

[ Edited by jojomellon on Jan 4, 2011 at 20:24:06 ]
I hope stlouis doesnt get Jones, I think he's better then AJ green.. Blackmon has he said he's leaving school? I see Murray as a mid 2nd round early 3rd round pick.
Bruce Carter and Brandon Harris will likely be drafted nowhere near those spots -- Harris especially does not deserve to be picked anywhere near there.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
I hope stlouis doesnt get Jones, I think he's better then AJ green.. Blackmon has he said he's leaving school? I see Murray as a mid 2nd round early 3rd round pick.

I think Blackmon will, I just assumed on some guys who havent declared. Hmm, I may agree on Murray but there just arent a ton of high level RBs this year.
If Green is available when Cle picks he will be the guy 100%

If Peterson is there when we pick, he better be the guy!!
and its obvious at least 1 OT will move into the top 10 I cannot remember the last time there wasnt one drafted in the top 10.
and its obvious at least 1 OT will move into the top 10 I cannot remember the last time there wasnt one drafted in the top 10.

2005. Who do you think would jump that high? Theres really no one worth it but yeah, some teams do get desperate so I guess it wouldnt surprise me too much,

Re-read the first sentence of the original post.
idk really , someone will have a huge combine. But ur right its hard to decide a mock draft until after the combine at least.
Originally posted by jojomellon:

2005. Who do you think would jump that high? Theres really no one worth it but yeah, some teams do get desperate so I guess it wouldnt surprise me too much,

Mississippi State OT Sherrod has been dominant. Top 10 pick easy.

AJ Green is a hero...just sayin

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Mississippi State OT Sherrod has been dominant. Top 10 pick easy.

Only team that high I can see would be Buffalo
Originally posted by Sjceruti:

I like Julio Jones better . But Blackmon may be the best of the three, certainly the stats would look that way.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Yeah that's definitely a possibility. Buffalo has nothing at the tackle position.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:

I like Julio Jones better . But Blackmon may be the best of the three, certainly the stats would look that way.

Stats are deceiving, Blackmon and Jones played in good offenses while AJ Green had a young offense around him. Plus he missed the first 4 or so games.

Green is the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Yeah that's definitely a possibility. Buffalo has nothing at the tackle position.

they have gone OG and C recently....time to finish off the line with a stud
Share 49ersWebzone