There are 221 users in the forums

Which QBs will fit a Harbaugh team?

• obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by obx49:
Kellen Moore.

/thread.

That does make sense, I remember reading yesterday that Walsh told Harbaugh that a quarterback's football IQ is the most important attribute. I also read a book that someone wrote about Bill Walsh and his life in football, and he said (Walsh) that good footwork is also crucial for a QB.

I don't think we will settle for Moore though, I think he'll take what he can get at 7 or trade up a few if one is about to be taken. His first order of business at Stanford was getting a QB (Luck) and i expect the same if he becomes to San Fran

I agree! QB should be the top of the list this season. But, damn, I really want Moore, he would be a perfect fit for Harbaugh.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Kellen Moore.

/thread.

That does make sense, I remember reading yesterday that Walsh told Harbaugh that a quarterback's football IQ is the most important attribute. I also read a book that someone wrote about Bill Walsh and his life in football, and he said (Walsh) that good footwork is also crucial for a QB.

I don't think we will settle for Moore though, I think he'll take what he can get at 7 or trade up a few if one is about to be taken. His first order of business at Stanford was getting a QB (Luck) and i expect the same if he becomes to San Fran

I agree! QB should be the top of the list this season. But, damn, I really want Moore, he would be a perfect fit for Harbaugh.

This. To bad he's not coming out this year though.
anyone think about making a move for josh johnson, still very young and knows harbaughs system. AT LEAST as a backup QB .
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Luck or Gabbert could be good. Mallett is a statue. Locker has upside but a long way to go. Newton has even further to go.

Luck, Newton and maybe Mallet everyone else accuracy concerns that these 3 dont have. Accuracy was what Walsh looked for and im sure Harbaugh is the same. I dont see any other QB who can throw as accurately as those 3 short,medium or deep.

well all cams scouting reports say hes really accurate with the long ball, not to mention hes more mobile than anyone you named

[ Edited by fan49 on Jan 4, 2011 at 20:23:24 ]
Originally posted by fan49:
Luck or Gabbert could be good. Mallett is a statue. Locker has upside but a long way to go. Newton has even further to go.

Luck, Newton and maybe Mallet everyone else accuracy concerns that these 3 dont have. Accuracy was what Walsh looked for and im sure Harbaugh is the same. I dont see any other QB who can throw as accurately as those 3 short,medium or deep.

well all cams scouting reports say hes really accurate with the long ball, not to mention hes more mobile than anyone you named

i can see Cam falling far, he fits the Russell/VY mold. I personally wouldnt want to take a chance on him.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:

i can see Cam falling far, he fits the Russell/VY mold. I personally wouldnt want to take a chance on him.

i would put money on it hes better than tebow. if thats a big deal
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:

i would put money on it hes better than tebow. if thats a big deal

I agree, as far as throwing the ball .. He's probably better then him in all apects of the game other then pure leadership. Seems like Cam is softspoken which can be a concern in the huddle too. I think he's worth a flyer but IDK if he's right for us. I'd embrace it if he got drafted though.
What about Andy Dalton from TCU? I thought his arm was stronger than Moore and he is pretty mobile as well.
Luck fits the system that's y harbaugh went and found him and made him what he is.... If not gabbert but I Want the San francisco 49ers to have Andrew luck next season
The first attribute that Harbaugh will look for is intelligence.

He runs the WCO so the play calls are very long and the routes are disguised by words whereas the Coryell system uses the basic numbering route tree. Plus the play calls also include the protection scheme, and pre snap shifting and any motion.

Everybody knows Andrew Luck but everybody needs to read up on Josh Johnson when Harbaugh was his coach. Harbaugh spoke very highly of Josh because of his intelligence.

SI's Jim Trotter article on Johnson and Harbaugh in the 08 draft.

Quote:
Johnson did receive pro-style training from longtime NFL QB Jim Harbaugh, his coach for three years at USD. Harbaugh lauds Johnson's leadership and his ability to process information at broadband speed. "We ran a version of the West Coast offense, and a lot of our plays were 15 or 16 words," says Harbaugh, now at Stanford. "By the time I would get to word seven or eight, he would finish the play call. He's very quick-minded, and he makes good decisions."

So if we're looking for a mobile QB with smarts, doesn't Alex fit the bill?
I think Gabbert, Dalton and Stanzi are players to keep and eye on.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
The first attribute that Harbaugh will look for is intelligence.

He runs the WCO so the play calls are very long and the routes are disguised by words whereas the Coryell system uses the basic numbering route tree. Plus the play calls also include the protection scheme, and pre snap shifting and any motion.

Everybody knows Andrew Luck but everybody needs to read up on Josh Johnson when Harbaugh was his coach. Harbaugh spoke very highly of Josh because of his intelligence.

SI's Jim Trotter article on Johnson and Harbaugh in the 08 draft.

Quote:
Johnson did receive pro-style training from longtime NFL QB Jim Harbaugh, his coach for three years at USD. Harbaugh lauds Johnson's leadership and his ability to process information at broadband speed. "We ran a version of the West Coast offense, and a lot of our plays were 15 or 16 words," says Harbaugh, now at Stanford. "By the time I would get to word seven or eight, he would finish the play call. He's very quick-minded, and he makes good decisions."

If Harbaugh becomes the Niner HC, look for Baalke to quickly obtain Johnson from Tampa Bay via trade for a suitable draft choice. Harbaugh likes Johnson. Johnson now has a bit of NFL experience, but he is still quite young. Freeman is the long-term QB solution in Tampa Bay, so they would likely be amenable to a suitable draft pick offer from the Niners for Johnson.

The Niners could still also select a QB in the draft, and/or keep Nate Davis around for the new coaching staff to evaluate. They will need at least 3 QB's for camp anyway.

[ Edited by jimbagg on Jan 4, 2011 at 22:38:42 ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Blaine Gabbert.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
I think Gabbert, Dalton and Stanzi are players to keep and eye on.

Exactly what I was thinking. I was also thinking Greg McElroy.
Share 49ersWebzone