LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

Sources: Panthers to pick Andrew Luck : wouldn't even consider trading down

• Chief
  • Veteran
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=5988254

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- If Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck decides to enter the 2011 draft, the Carolina Panthers will take him, two high-ranking team officials said Tuesday.

A redshirt sophomore, Luck finished his season in Monday night's Discover Orange Bowl and has until Jan. 15 to declare if he will enter the draft. Although there have been reports indicating Luck may choose to stay in college, the Panthers remain optimistic he will turn pro.

Luck is viewed as the top prospect in the country by most draft analysts and the Panthers don't disagree with that assessment. The team officials said they wouldn't even consider trading down in the draft if Luck is available.

There has been some speculation that Luck and Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh could be a package deal. But in a press conference Tuesday to discuss the coaching search, Carolina owner Jerry Richardson said the team has not had any contact with Harbaugh. The team officials said they don't expect that to change.

The Panthers already have requested permission to interview San Diego defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and New York Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell. Although the team officials said they won't rule out candidates from the college ranks, they said the hire likely will be an NFL coordinator.

[ Edited by Chief on Jan 4, 2011 at 11:37:45 ]
Originally posted by Chief:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=5988254

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- If Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck decides to enter the 2011 draft, the Carolina Panthers will take him, two high-ranking team officials said Tuesday.

A redshirt sophomore, Luck finished his season in Monday night's Discover Orange Bowl and has until Jan. 15 to declare if he will enter the draft. Although there have been reports indicating Luck may choose to stay in college, the Panthers remain optimistic he will turn pro.

Luck is viewed as the top prospect in the country by most draft analysts and the Panthers don't disagree with that assessment. The team officials said they wouldn't even consider trading down in the draft if Luck is available.

There has been some speculation that Luck and Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh could be a package deal. But in a press conference Tuesday to discuss the coaching search, Carolina owner Jerry Richardson said the team has not had any contact with Harbaugh. The team officials said they don't expect that to change.

The Panthers already have requested permission to interview San Diego defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and New York Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell. Although the team officials said they won't rule out candidates from the college ranks, they said the hire likely will be an NFL coordinator.

i always figured they would go for him. claussen is NOT the man. at least they say they have no contact with harbaughlin'. good for us.

so, luck, claussen and moore. i would say claussen will be odd man out.
i would say that moore is the odd man out...b/c he is a FA anyway.
Good, now people can shut it about this "trade the farm" talk.

It's ludicrous and people are beginning to get hysterical. It's already expanded beyond asinine ideas, and I'm glad we should be able to put this talk of acquiring Luck to rest.
cam newton here we come
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

It's ludicrous and people are beginning to get hysterical. It's already expanded beyond asinine ideas, and I'm glad we should be able to put this talk of acquiring Luck to rest.

Indeed !

amen to that
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame

I say we trade the farm to get luck
Originally posted by Amir_Mamu:

I say we trade the farm to get luck
i say

At least it will put the Luck talk to rest which is rediculous at #7 anyway.

Originally posted by footballxpaul:
cam newton here we come

Meh, if Luck pulls an Eli and refuses to play in Carolina, they'll have no choice, all this January draft posturing is meaningless.
or they are trying to drive up the price of the pick...

Preach brother, preach!
Still early in the game. Way to early to say they've found their guy especially when they don't even have a coach. Ryan Mallett might go out there tonight and toss for 500 yards and 6 TDs and and everybody will be on him tomorrow. Lots of things still to go and lots of time to criticize Luck on his inexperience tell people he's got little upside and whatever else we can do to try to lower his value (They spread rumors that Dan Marino was addicted to cocain)
Share 49ersWebzone