Henne #57

Stafford #1
Sanchez #5
Freeman #17
White #44

Bradford #1
Tebow #25
Clausen #48

How does this draft class with these five top QBs rank with those above?

Luck
Newton
Gabbert
Mallett
Locker

This is mine:
Ryan
Bradford
Luck
Freeman
Flacco
Newton
Stafford
Kolb
Gabbert
Mallett
Sanchez
Locker
Tebow
Henne
Quinn
Clausen
Brohm
Beck
Stanton
White
Russell

What say you? I thought it would be nice to see the previous QB picks and then compare. Looks like this class is really not that bad comparatively especially Newton, Gabbert and Mallett.

I guess this is a good year to grab one, huh?

Have at it.

[ Edited by ninertico on Jan 4, 2011 at 11:36:24 ]
good job, dont agree on Newton and Gabbert I just dont think they translate to the NFL.
are your rankings just based off how they were seen/projected coming out of college as prospects or just your overall ranking of them.

I was thinking to myself on the way to work this morning that looking up all the 2nd and 3rd qb's over the last 5 years. To see which guys are quality starters in the league or pro bowl caliber type of qb's.

I sure never thought Josh Freeman was this good.
Great thread. Where is Clausen in your order? Also, can you bold this year's within the ranking?
Originally posted by lamontb:
are your rankings just based off how they were seen/projected coming out of college as prospects or just your overall ranking of them.

I was thinking to myself on the way to work this morning that looking up all the 2nd and 3rd qb's over the last 5 years. To see which guys are quality starters in the league or pro bowl caliber type of qb's.

Probabaly cuz your racist
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
good job, dont agree on Newton and Gabbert I just dont think they translate to the NFL.

Thanks man. I thought we could use a list like this leading up to the draft. I am just getting enough on Gabbert to see that he has some legit skill to translate into the NFL, but needs time. The same with Newton.

The way I look at Newton is through Steve Young eyes. Young was erratic and his accuracy wasn't that great. He used his legs more at TB than his arm. It was until Young worked with Walsh when he started to rely on his arm than the legs. Remember that great run by Young over the Vikes, Newton can do that. Also, I believe we will get a WCO QB Vet like McNabb so that Newton has all the tools and resources to succeed as a WCO QB.

I know all his shortcomings, but Newton just delivers time and time again whether with his legs or arm, like he did against Alabama. That game was a perfect snippet of Newton's Moxie and talent.

I would love to have him under Harbaugh, Billick, Mornhinweg or Mularkey.
whats interesting to me is the lack of productivity out of the qbs chosen in the second round. Henne, Stanton, beck, brohm, white, etc..

The recent trend of drafting BPA and getting a qb in the second round has not worked recently. The miami dolhpins is a prime example; taking jake long and then a qb in the second when they could have had matt ryan. Yes long is a great LT, but u just dont pass on franchise qbs.

I am not sure if a cant miss franchise qb will be on the board at pick #7 but if he is we MUST take him. I love Patrick Peterson, prince, etc., but recent history has shown that there is a BIG difference between early 1st and second round qbs
Originally posted by YorkHater:

WTF? How did you come to that conclusion?
Originally posted by cory4903:
whats interesting to me is the lack of productivity out of the qbs chosen in the second round. Henne, Stanton, beck, brohm, white, etc..

The recent trend of drafting BPA and getting a qb in the second round has not worked recently. The miami dolhpins is a prime example; taking jake long and then a qb in the second when they could have had matt ryan. Yes long is a great LT, but u just dont pass on franchise qbs.

I am not sure if a cant miss franchise qb will be on the board at pick #7 but if he is we MUST take him. I love Patrick Peterson, prince, etc., but recent history has shown that there is a BIG difference between early 1st and second round qbs

Exactly. It sounds great b/c the Niners have so many needs to just say hey forget qb in the 1st round we'll just get one later on. When it really doesn't work like that. Dolphins missed on Henne, and White when Ryan was sitting right there in front of them. folks praised it as genius at the time b/c it was Parcells. Remember how smart folks were saying how it's stupid to pay a qb that top money instead give it to a tackle. Nobody ever crucifies him b/c Parcells is cool with everybody in the media so it's just swept under the rug while the Falcons have home field and the Dolphins are underachieving.
the 2007 QB class

• sfout
  • Veteran
Miami inflates the bust to talent ratio so bad. They've has whiffed on 5 straight 2nd round qb's they are either horrible at evaluating that position or they are horrible at building around them and giving players time to develop. Miami is a such a bad place to play for if you're expected to be amazing right away. With 20 celebrities owning small as 2% stakes and the up and down Sparano/Ireland years marked by all these failures in the draft I am amazed that the real owners don't cut the cord with either of them.
Several points...

I'm suprised to see Ryan above Luck. Luck to me is very comparable to what Ryan's skill set but is far more mobile.

Also I think it's kind of bizarre to rank them according to what we know happened to the previous picks. I feel Luck is a better pro prospect at this time than Ryan was when he entered the draft, but it's hard to say if Luck will be a better pro, there are a lot of factors out of his control at the pro level.
Originally posted by YorkHater:

Simpleton
Share 49ersWebzone