LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert enters NFL draft

Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by cory4903:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Gabbert to the Bengals at number 4. Seriously doubt he falls past the Cards at 5.

P.S. Living here in Ohio, I call tell you that the fans are ready to run Carson Palmer out of town. He has really dropped off, and will more than likely be on other roster next season.

hopefully ours

Why would you want a qb like Palmer, sure he threw for 4,000 yards again but in a year the bengals tried to be pass heavy he threw 20 picks. I don't know how many of them were tipped by WRs but looking at his career stats I don't want him. 150 tds to 100 ints??? 3-2 ratio? No thank you. His best year in the league was his second and that was 4-5 years ago. Palmer is 31 and I'm going to throw up a little bit but I would rather have someone like Kolb, Gradkowski, Clemens, all true backups but with low miles. If we are actually searching for our "qb of the future" right now Palmer is a nothing but a stop gap and bad one at that. Not too mention he is apparently being run out of town by the fan base, much like Alex.

because he would be the perfect type of veteran qb to have here while we groom a young qb like mallet, newton, gabbert in 1st, or sstanzi or devlin in later rounds. He would allow us the chance to still compete in the NFC west next year, while at the same time preparing our qb of the future.

But would you be willing to pay him what he thinks he is worth? I wouldn't be, only if we could get him for dirt cheap would I ever like the idea of Palmer being a 9er.

Marvin Lewis staying in Cinncy, IMO really hurts the chances of Carson being traded. If they did want to trade him I believe the asking price would be a lot less that the eagles are asking for kolb, and even the broncos are asking for orton. My guess would be that Carson could be had for a 3rd or 4th round pikc, IF they wanted to get rid of him. But I doubt that is even an option anymore with Marvin being retained

[ Edited by cory4903 on Jan 4, 2011 at 08:52:46 ]
Gabbert to the Bengals at number 4. Seriously doubt he falls past the Cards at 5.

P.S. Living here in Ohio, I call tell you that the fans are ready to run Carson Palmer out of town. He has really dropped off, and will more than likely be on other roster next season.

hopefully ours

Why would you want a qb like Palmer, sure he threw for 4,000 yards again but in a year the bengals tried to be pass heavy he threw 20 picks. I don't know how many of them were tipped by WRs but looking at his career stats I don't want him. 150 tds to 100 ints??? 3-2 ratio? No thank you. His best year in the league was his second and that was 4-5 years ago. Palmer is 31 and I'm going to throw up a little bit but I would rather have someone like Kolb, Gradkowski, Clemens, all true backups but with low miles. If we are actually searching for our "qb of the future" right now Palmer is a nothing but a stop gap and bad one at that. Not too mention he is apparently being run out of town by the fan base, much like Alex.

because he would be the perfect type of veteran qb to have here while we groom a young qb like mallet, newton, gabbert in 1st, or sstanzi or devlin in later rounds. He would allow us the chance to still compete in the NFC west next year, while at the same time preparing our qb of the future.

But would you be willing to pay him what he thinks he is worth? I wouldn't be, only if we could get him for dirt cheap would I ever like the idea of Palmer being a 9er.

dirt cheap? I hate to break it to ya, but the QB position is the most highly paid position in football? Why would he look to be paid in the top 5 range given his lack of production? I would sign him to a 2 year contract, so he can groom our heir. Besides a change of scenery will totally do this guy some good.
  • dj43
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by JD81:
Quote:
Gabbert is ideally built (6'5/235) and offers plenty of arm strength. Questions facing Gabbert will be his ability to adjust from a shotgun-only spread offense to a pro-style scheme, as well as suspect pocket presence and downfield accuracy. If he impresses in pre-draft workouts, Gabbert has the potential to be a top-ten overall pick.

That alone makes me say f**k GABBERT.....

Anyone remember the last spread QB we drafted?

I'm no fan of Alex Smith, but he had NoWin and Dingleberry as a head coach for 6 years (tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber when it comes to offense)...no young QB is going to develop properly under those circumstances. If Smith had Harbaugh from day one, he would likely be a very different QB right now. And again, I'm NOT IN ANY WAY an Alex Smith supporter. It's just reality.

If we get a REAL offensive mind to lead this team, I wouldn't hesitate to draft a young QB at #7 overall, regardless of what system he comes out of.
What Shurmur did with Bradford should relieve concerns over spread vs "pro-style."

While Bradford hit the wall in the final 1/3 of the season, Shurmur allowed him to accomplish much more than 99% of observers thought he would. Just goes to show how important proper coaching is to a young QB.
  • dj43

hopefully ours

EDIT: If palmer is such a bad stop gap option in your opinion, who would you prefer? Alex is definately gone, Troy Smith is nowhere near the QB Palmer is, there are no other starting qbs available in free agency with the experience and ability of palmer. Like alex, I think a chance of scenery would revitalize carson.
Your question (bolded) points out the travesty of the mishandling of Alex Smith. The 49ers have gone from having an average QB to no QB at all. Palmer may be the best, and most expensive option but according to his rating, will be a step DOWN from Alex.

Gabbert would be a bonus at #7, IMO, but it doesn't appear he will be there.
Why are people suddenly projecting Gabbert as a top 10, or even top 5 pick?

I can't find any other analysis, besides this board, that had him rated as better than a 3rd rounder, if not a 4th-5th rounder, prior to his declaring.

And most thought he wouldn't declare because he's be a "second day", project type pick this year, and wasn't even among the top potential QBs for the 2012 draft.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:

I can't find any other analysis, besides this board, that had him rated as better than a 3rd rounder, if not a 4th-5th rounder, prior to his declaring.

And most thought he wouldn't declare because he's be a "second day", project type pick this year, and wasn't even among the top potential QBs for the 2012 draft.

Todd McShay its his fault.
I just have a feeling....were picking Gabbert...#7 pick in the Draft. WILL THE REAL #11 PLEASE STAND UP....
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
I just have a feeling....were picking Gabbert...#7 pick in the Draft. WILL THE REAL #11 PLEASE STAND UP....

I sure hope not...he's coming out of a system that looks something like Cam Newton at Auburn or VY at UT and he just doesn't appear to be that great. He's built up a ton of steam late in the season and I think as a result he'll be over drafted. Not to say his system will hold him back in the NFL, but it seems everyone is fine with him because he's got a VAST football knowledge, whereas Cam Newton is going to need years to develop even though their offenses are both equally gimmicky...if Gabbert were black, or Cam were white, I wonder how different everyone would see these two...just saying.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

I don't think he will make it that far. We may have to trade up to get him.

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by JD81:
Quote:
Gabbert is ideally built (6'5/235) and offers plenty of arm strength. Questions facing Gabbert will be his ability to adjust from a shotgun-only spread offense to a pro-style scheme, as well as suspect pocket presence and downfield accuracy. If he impresses in pre-draft workouts, Gabbert has the potential to be a top-ten overall pick.

That alone makes me say f**k GABBERT.....

Anyone remember the last spread QB we drafted?

I'm no fan of Alex Smith, but he had NoWin and Dingleberry as a head coach for 6 years (tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber when it comes to offense)...no young QB is going to develop properly under those circumstances. If Smith had Harbaugh from day one, he would likely be a very different QB right now. And again, I'm NOT IN ANY WAY an Alex Smith supporter. It's just reality.

If we get a REAL offensive mind to lead this team, I wouldn't hesitate to draft a young QB at #7 overall, regardless of what system he comes out of.
What Shurmur did with Bradford should relieve concerns over spread vs "pro-style."

While Bradford hit the wall in the final 1/3 of the season, Shurmur allowed him to accomplish much more than 99% of observers thought he would. Just goes to show how important proper coaching is to a young QB.

Both you and Ghost are right on with that POV. When Harbaugh gets hired, I would trust his selection process. He did OK with a guy named Luck.

Luck
Newton
Gabbert
Mallett
Locker

Gabbert will be a top twenty pick at least. Top five at the most. I believe that AZ may go after Gabbert before Newton. Gabbert reminds them of Warner, watch.
I'll take anyone at this point!! it'll be an upgrade with what we have now!

SI has Gabbert going to Buffalo at #3
Scouts Inc. has him at the #20 rated prospect overall
Various early draft predictions have rated Gabbert as a first-round pick and the second-best at his position behind Andrew Luck of Stanford.

Various early draft predictions have rated Gabbert as a first-round pick and the second-best at his position behind Andrew Luck of Stanford.

I think he must be looking only at Walter Football or sites that havent posted a new mock for months. Obviously his stock is on the rise.

My guess is the Niners get Gabbert or Newton when its all said and done.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I think he must be looking only at Walter Football or sites that havent posted a new mock for months. Obviously his stock is on the rise.

My guess is the Niners get Gabbert or Newton when its all said and done.

We can only hope. However, if Buffalo wants to develop a long-term solution, Gabbert will be the pick, leaving AZ to possibly grab Newton one pick ahead of us. That would leave us with Locker, and that would not be good (IMO).
Share 49ersWebzone