LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert enters NFL draft

• jrg
  • Veteran
Draft him!!!
I agree. Gabbert may be gone by the 7th pick! Still think we'll end up with Mallett.
Gabbert's biggest concern is playing out of the spread.

But Brees, Roethlisberger, and Flacco were spread QBs in college. Bradford ran a lot of his offense in Oklahoma out of the shotgun.

All the physical tools are there. I would not complain if the 49ers drafted him at #7, but I don't think he'll be there.

[ Edited by DesiDez on Jan 3, 2011 at 19:21:26 ]
he will be there at 7
Originally posted by DesiDez:

But Brees, Roethlisberger, and Flacco were spread QBs in college. Bradford ran a lot of his offense in Oklahoma out of the shotgun.

All the physical tools are there. I would not complain if the 49ers drafted him at #7, but I don't think he'll be there.

Pro-system doesn't make someone a great QB. Spread system doesn't make one a terrible QB either. Roughly one fourth of the starting QB's in the NFL come from a spread system in college.

Do your homework and see if they can adjust and have the tools to work with and ask yourself if you're WILLING TO TAKE THE TIME to develop and groom them. If yes, great. If not, don't pick them.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Pro-system doesn't make someone a great QB. Spread system doesn't make one a terrible QB either. Roughly one fourth of the starting QB's in the NFL come from a spread system in college.

Do your homework and see if they can adjust and have the tools to work with and ask yourself if you're WILLING TO TAKE THE TIME to develop and groom them. If yes, great. If not, don't pick them.

Common sense isn't always so common. Thank you, OTC.

have any spread QB's ever gone to the Superbowl or very deep into the playoffs? I'm having a hard time thinking of any off the top of my head
Originally posted by jreff22:

have any spread QB's ever gone to the Superbowl or very deep into the playoffs? I'm having a hard time thinking of any off the top of my head

The spread is relatively new compare to other offensive systems, and most of the spread QBs in the NFL are pretty young...we might have to ask this question 5 years from now to get a more accurate feel. That said, the Saints run a pro-style version of the spread (incorporates spread concepts), as do the Patriots.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 3, 2011 at 20:19:23 ]

People have allowed the Alex Smith experience and terms like pro-system to spook them out of or warm up to certain QBs. Can you imagine if the internet were around 30 years ago? Hardly any QBs would be shown any love based on the offenses they ran then.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

The spread is relatively new, and most of the spread QBs in the NFL are pretty young...we might have to ask this question 5 years from now to get a more accurate feel. That said, the Saints run a pro-style version of the spread (incorporates spread concepts), as do the Patriots.

I'm targeting just the QB's out of curiosity...does the pro style foundation trump all others

The spread is relatively new, and most of the spread QBs in the NFL are pretty young...we might have to ask this question 5 years from now to get a more accurate feel. That said, the Saints run a pro-style version of the spread (incorporates spread concepts), as do the Patriots.

And the Colts.

I'm targeting just the QB's out of curiosity...does the pro style foundation trump all others

Not sure it trumps other offensive systems, but pro-style QBs in college definitely have a leg up on other QBs coming into the pros. What they're asked to do in terms of progressions/reading coverages/protection calls, etc., makes the transistion much easier than QBs that don't have to worry about those details in a spread-style offense.
  • cools
  • Veteran
whether we draft him or not, its great that another very good prospect is added to the mix

Carolina may be more willing to trade that pick if they know they can still get a QB at 7
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:
Draft him!!!

We will draft whatever QB Harbaugh is highest on not named luck
He'll be a first rounder, but likely will be over-drafted. I think he's a top 20 kind of guy, right now.

I think as time goes by and Harbaugh leaves Stanford so will Luck. Gabbert will be #2 QB off the board. If the niners want him they will likely have to move ahead of Cardinals....
Share 49ersWebzone